$2600 Gaming/School PC Build | Second opinions needed before purchasing parts

Budget (including currency): $2600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming and school work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Nvidia GPU will be needed as I will need to use solidworks

The GPU is at that set price because I purchased it at that price already

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKk9hk

Get a 850W PSU for around 130$, use that money to get a MUCH better CPU cooler. Can also use the Grey area Windows keys for around 20$ rather then 120$. 

If you are doing solid works, i would probably reccomend 13700k or 7700x, not a 7800x3D.

Just now, Shimejii said:

Get a 850W PSU for around 130$, use that money to get a MUCH better CPU cooler. Can also use the Grey area Windows keys for around 20$ rather then 120$. 

What cooler do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, hezisix said:

What cooler do you recommend?

Honestly depends on where you are buying from. 7800x3D you could either go 280/360 AIO if that case supports it, or a big dual tower air cooler. NH-D15 is 110$, but there are a few Dual tower Deepcool products, a few Sycthe ones as well. 

But also for solid works it likes single core FAST cores, so 7700x or 13700k would probably do better here.

13 minutes ago, hezisix said:

Budget (including currency): $2600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming and school work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Nvidia GPU will be needed as I will need to use solidworks

The GPU is at that set price because I purchased it at that price already

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKk9hk

I'm not the best when it comes to pcs but I would just go to amazon and buy a pack of fans instead of 1 for 13 bucks 

Build = 12400f - 1080ti

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Honestly depends on where you are buying from. 7800x3D you could either go 280/360 AIO if that case supports it, or a big dual tower air cooler. NH-D15 is 110$, but there are a few Dual tower Deepcool products, a few Sycthe ones as well. 

But also for solid works it likes single core FAST cores, so 7700x or 13700k would probably do better here.

I chose the 7800x3d because It's not like I'm doing it profesionally or for a job, its for college, so I figured a 7800x3d would suffice

1 minute ago, hezisix said:

I chose the 7800x3d because It's not like I'm doing it profesionally or for a job, its for college, so I figured a 7800x3d would suffice

I would go for this then

Also make sure you get the orientation of the thermalright PA120 right as if its mounted one way it can greatly affect performance

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sDyKC6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($438.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.90 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-6 4 g Thermal Paste  ($8.49 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($122.23 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1120.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($117.98 @ Other World Computing) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($9.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PWM PST A-RGB 68 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($18.96 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PWM PST A-RGB 68 CFM 140 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2540.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-18 16:58 EDT-0400

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

If you are doing solid works, i would probably reccomend 13700k or 7700x, not a 7800x3D.

>much

Really?  Jeez man, brands are brands for christ's sake.

The Phantom spirit has 7 6mm heatpipes on a nickel plate with two 120mm FD fans.  Enlighten me as to what MUCH better really is without going full boomer or using the word rElIaBiLiTy to describe two 5V motors and a piece of metal.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

18 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

>much

Really?  Jeez man, brands are brands for christ's sake.

The Phantom spirit has 7 6mm heatpipes on a nickel plate with two 120mm FD fans.  Enlighten me as to what MUCH better really is without going full boomer or using the word rElIaBiLiTy to describe two 5V motors and a piece of metal.

Heatpipes arent the end all go to. If you put in effort into learning about what makes a good cooler besides just reading off specs sheets, things to look out for, maybe youd actually have an argument.  Instead you type shit like that with a MLP profile pic, and you want to be taken seriously?

Heatpipes are helpful yes, that isnt the issue here as those are fine. The biggest issue is the design of AM5 is where the CCD are on the bottom of the chip rather then the middle like other coolers. that design alone can mess up most air coolers. Noctua has had issues on AM5 as well, thats why they are coming out with the offset mount to fix that issue. Some brands already have adjusted for that on AM5, some havent. Thermalright has had some issues with AM5, theyve been working to resolve it as well with their own offset mount and such.

Fin density and pitch are important, Phantom Spirit is for the most part fine, its not an issue by itself, but when dealing with 105-130W loads like i would be expected for a 7800x3D, it can certainly impact it.  It starts to fall behind at those loads, usually a 4-5c difference with compared to a higher end Air cooler, and further behind an AIO with a high enough heat load.

When you want the most out of a chip like a 7800x3D, its a 450$ cpu, you may want to get the best cooler suited for it. 360mm AIO when its the same price as a NH-D15 should be fine, Or if they want an air cooler there are better options even from Thermalright. 

Is it a fine cooler? Yah, but there are better and much better options for AM5 with how its layout is. You being cranky about it wont change it 🙂 

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

How does this build look? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fq8r2m

1 minute ago, hezisix said:

How does this build look? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fq8r2m

swap it for the https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2PFKHx/arctic-liquid-freezer-ii-360-563-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-acfre00068a  unless you want that RGB lighting stuff, then maybe look at some of the Deepcool 360s. But avoid the MSI ones.

20 minutes ago, hezisix said:

Whats wrong with the ek-aio 280?

Nothing is Specifically wrong with it, its just a 280 AIO for 150$, kind of expensive for the type. Arctic 360  would be slightly better, again probably by 1-2c and is 30$ cheaper, if you dont mind theEK one being 145$ instead of the 115 the Arctic one is.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Nothing is Specifically wrong with it, its just a 280 AIO for 150$, kind of expensive for the type. Arctic 360  would be slightly better, again probably by 1-2c and is 30$ cheaper, if you dont mind theEK one being 145$ instead of the 115 the Arctic one is.

With a 360mm aio I would have to front mount it in the case, but correct me if im wrong but isnt top mounting an aio better?

2 minutes ago, hezisix said:

With a 360mm aio I would have to front mount it in the case, but correct me if im wrong but isnt top mounting an aio better?

No its not any better in a case like yours with plenty of airflow 🙂 Again its not a big deal, if youd prefer the top 280 then go that route, again if you want to save 50$ or not with the arctic 280 instead of the 360 and get the same performance. For lifespan, if the pump is on the cooler yeah having the tank above it will help with longevity by a margin, but most of the time either the pump dies from other issues or just aging. Since moving parts wear down over time.

In a more airflow constricted case, having a top AIO exhausting all the hot air from the case would be beneficial but again its mostly a difference of what your room temperature is and the specific case and airflow. 

4 hours ago, Shimejii said:

usually a 4-5c difference

impact?

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($438.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($117.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Corsair MP600 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1120.00) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($106.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($112.38 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Lian Li UNI FAN SL V2 77.6 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($29.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Total: $2388.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-19 01:06 EDT-0400

different case but this would be the best airflow, with other extraneous cost compression mixed in.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.