How to reduce Asus TUF 4090 coil whine

ihsus

Hi,

I have recently bought an ASUS TUF RTX 4090 and it has some massive coil whine which is extremely audible. Can you please give me some tips on how to reduce coil whine on the GPU? I don't expect to have 0 coil whine, I do expect the GPU to have coil whine but what I am having right now is just too much.

EDIT: could changining the PSU help? I currently have Corsair RM1000e

Thank you for any tips and suggestions.

13 minutes ago, ihsus said:

Hi,

I have recently bought an ASUS TUF RTX 4090 and it has some massive coil whine which is extremely audible. Can you please give me some tips on how to reduce coil whine on the GPU? I don't expect to have 0 coil whine, I do expect the GPU to have coil whine but what I am having right now is just too much.

Thank you for any tips and suggestions.

Try doing these 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I would RMA if the noise is excessive and a slight undervolt does not fix the issue.

there are some options as using superglue that can creep into the coils that prevents vibration but your warranty is then out the window. I would only try such options if the card is out of warranty. it is a non destructive method and works but no one will replace the card if you go that route and it is checked properly by a tech..

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Reducing it? Underclocking/undervolting/power limiting is probably a good start. I would try to return it though.

1 hour ago, filpo said:

Try doing these 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Get noise canceling headphones. Problem solved. 

46 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

I would RMA if the noise is excessive and a slight undervolt does not fix the issue.

there are some options as using superglue that can creep into the coils that prevents vibration but your warranty is then out the window. I would only try such options if the card is out of warranty. it is a non destructive method and works but no one will replace the card if you go that route and it is checked properly by a tech..

could changining the PSU help? I currently have Corsair RM1000e

48 minutes ago, ihsus said:

could changining the PSU help? I currently have Corsair RM1000e

I don't think so. It is an issue of powerdraw not so much power delivery.  it is in its most simplest form copper wire threaded as a coil that under load begins to vibrate.

Undervolting has helped many people as the slight dip in powerdraw was enough to limit the vibrations. 

Undervolting is counter intuitive but gives the card more headroom with the ability to hit the same graphical target using less power. this has for many users including myself on a 3080 given me a slighty higher FPS but a much smoother overall performance.

23 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

I don't think so. It is an issue of powerdraw not so much power delivery.  it is in its most simplest form copper wire threaded as a coil that under load begins to vibrate.

Undervolting has helped many people as the slight dip in powerdraw was enough to limit the vibrations. 

Undervolting is counter intuitive but gives the card more headroom with the ability to hit the same graphical target using less power. this has for many users including myself on a 3080 given me a slighty higher FPS but a much smoother overall performance.

Doesn’t undervolting void warranty?

16 minutes ago, ihsus said:

Doesn’t undervolting void warranty?

No. 🙂  Lots of ppl have tried undervolting - there's probably a lot of youtube videos instructing how to - you should watch a few and try it.   I have read of the 4090 coil whine issue - the Asus (strangely enough) often has it - and I agree with the power draw explanation.   I have read the suggestion of capping frames but I like the undervolting suggestion the best.

The MSI cards - Trio and Suprim - seems to be the cards least likely to have coil whine - I mean, I have read a few threads in which ppl ask if theirs has it / doesn't have it - and the MSI Trio / Suprim (dunno about Ventus - probably not included as the design is significantly different) buyers often claim their card doesn't have it.   

I don't consider 'wearing headphones' as a solution either.  

52 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

14 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

No. 🙂  Lots of ppl have tried undervolting - there's probably a lot of youtube videos instructing how to - you should watch a few and try it.   I have read of the 4090 coil whine issue - the Asus (strangely enough) often has it - and I agree with the power draw explanation.   I have read the suggestion of capping frames but I like the undervolting suggestion the best.

The MSI cards - Trio and Suprim - seems to be the cards least likely to have coil whine - I mean, I have read a few threads in which ppl ask if theirs has it / doesn't have it - and the MSI Trio / Suprim (dunno about Ventus - probably not included as the design is significantly different) buyers often claim their card doesn't have it.   

So I tried to look more into undervolting the GPU and found this

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Get noise canceling headphones. Problem solved. 

I remember my first RX480 having coil whine and didnt care since im with headphones all the time anyway.

8 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Two people in my family own a 4090 suprim for this reason and both don't have coil whine.