3080FE Repasted/repaded and GPU hotspot temp 100C+

Faranox
11 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

USE this site to see if your card is listed I found it to be quite helpful even though it is from a while back. Just search the data base

https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x-10gb/#:~:text=MSI – GeForce RTX™ 3080 SUPRIM X 10GB,to cover all those surface on the side.

EDIT- found your card but you might already have this info. anyways if it helps here is the thermal pad link

also from the page I found this info

Required thicknesses changed somewhere in 2021.

Seems like older series of the 3080 FE fits well with 2mm on the front and 3mm on the back. However some of the newer series uses a bit thinner gaps where 1.5mm works better on the front and 2.5mm or 3mm on the back.

https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

Yea sorry I messed up and didn't read your comment properly. I'm trying 2mm pad rn. Thanks!

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

USE this site to see if your card is listed I found it to be quite helpful even though it is from a while back. Just search the data base

https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x-10gb/#:~:text=MSI – GeForce RTX™ 3080 SUPRIM X 10GB,to cover all those surface on the side.

EDIT- found your card but you might already have this info. anyways if it helps here is the thermal pad link

also from the page I found this info

Required thicknesses changed somewhere in 2021.

Seems like older series of the 3080 FE fits well with 2mm on the front and 3mm on the back. However some of the newer series uses a bit thinner gaps where 1.5mm works better on the front and 2.5mm or 3mm on the back.

https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

2mm didn't even boot -> 100% fan spin so I shut off. No thermal paste contact at all lmfao. GG

That's a pain. did you check your manufactur date ? daft question I suppose as you done so much work and probably did that already.

I think your only solution is start over.

clean the card with isopropyl. clean the die the memory chips etc to remove any possible silicon grease residue.

Go have a beer but coffee is maybe better. then carefully repeat you process.

I would suggest you tighten all screws until you have resistance boot and check temps. if too high remove card and tighten all screws a half turn reboot check again.

rinse and repeat. your pads sounds to me like they have a good tolerance for compression and going in smaller steps might help you fix the problem. the cards in my humble opinion can be finicky and too loose or too tight both have issues. trying to find the happy medium is maybe the most difficult.

I have to go make some dinner so I might not reply for a while but I do hope you are successful.

7 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

That's a pain. did you check your manufactur date ? daft question I suppose as you done so much work and probably did that already.

clean the card with isopropyl. clean the die the memory chips etc to remove any possible silicon grease residue.

I would suggest you tighten all screws until you have resistance boot and check temps. if too high remove card and tighten all screws a half turn reboot check again.

rinse and repeat. your pads sounds to me like they have a good tolerance for compression and going in smaller steps might help you fix the problem. the cards in my humble opinion can be finicky and too loose or too tight both have issues. trying to find the happy medium is maybe the most difficult.

I have to go make some dinner so I might not reply for a while but I do hope you are successful.

I mentioned oct 2020 in my original post, card does boot after running for 5 sec without a cooler lmao. 

26 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

I'm gonna test each pad individually, I think just one is way too high for some reason. I remeasured all my pads to be 1.48 to 1.53mm. I might just put some thermal paste on the pads and see which ones get spread out and which ones don't make proper contact. Onto disassembly #10, wish me luck I suppose. Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. o7

not sure adding paste to the pads is a good idea. if you look carefully on the pads you should see depressions and if one has deeper depression than the rest just reduce its thickness by 0.5 maybe 1mm. if you have one pad with zero depression add 0.5mm etc

Good Luck hoping you fix the issue....