Using Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut for GPU?

Lare111

I have RX 6950 XT Red Devil which has severe pump-out issues. I've tried different thermal pastes (currently using Thermalright TFX), different amounts and different spread methods. At first I get great temps but then Edge temperature starts to creep up and suddenly I hit +80C degrees instantly. Yesterday I had to repaste it again and Edge dropped from 82C to 69C and all the corners of the die were dry even though I had spread the paste everywhere. 

I ordered Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut pad for the GPU. Has anyone here used it? At least Carbonaut wont pump out and I don't mind if I get couple degrees higher temps than with paste. Honeywell PTM7950 is not available in my country. 

Intel Core i5-13600KF @ 5.4/4.3Ghz (P/E) / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black / ASRock Z790 PG Lightning / 32GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 @ 6400Mhz CL32 / PowerColor Radeon RX 6950 XT Red Devil 16GB @ 2700Mhz / Samsung 980 Pro 1TB / WD Blue SN570 2TB / Corsair RM1000x / Lian Li Lancool 216 / Lenovo G27Q-20 (1440p & 165Hz IPS)

yup.......used it when i repasted my MSI 3080 Suprim excellent results.

I also replaced the thermal pads so a little difficult to say where the improvements lie in that regard but well worth the effort.

EDIT running a game right now and die temps are 50c and the memory hotspot is 66c regular memory is lower but not got that sensor reading loaded right now

Well, I have the same issue with the 6800XT. I've got 10-13°C higher hotspot temp above avg core after repasting and now it creeped up to 20°C-23°C higher. 

I suspect I have the same issue of paste getting pumped out by thermal changes but I haven't took the card apart to confirm yet. It's just 2 weeks since I've applied the paste though. 

Let me know the results once you get the pad because I was thinking about buying one for the same reason as well. 

I need to learn to read properly LOL i totally overlooked the word PAD.........my bad. but regarding thermal grizzly products thsat i have used to date never had any issues.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, I have the same issue with the 6800XT. I've got 10-13°C higher hotspot temp above avg core after repasting and now it creeped up to 20°C-23°C higher. 

I suspect I have the same issue of paste getting pumped out by thermal changes but I haven't took the card apart to confirm yet. It's just 2 weeks since I've applied the paste though. 

Let me know the results once you get the pad because I was thinking about buying one for the same reason as well. 

well it could also be because summer, takr that into account, incorrect thermal pasting could be there, as u know even experienced and proffesional pc builders make mistakes, perhaps you were slightly off with a pad or paste, maybe too much or too little

what id like to take into account is the summer of course, that combined with above statement could easily be the cause

before you check the paste, id say that and screw the cooler to the card tighter, maybe u didnt do it fully

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

• 1 month later...

Hey @Lare111 how did this end up working for you? I waterblocked my 6900xt Red Devil with a carbonaut pad after having high junction temps with thermal paste, even after repasting a few times. For me, the carbonaut had the same hotspot issues thermal paste had. My only thought now is to try a washer mod but curious what your experience was and if you figured it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 11:26 PM, Pixel_Meister said:

Hey @Lare111 how did this end up working for you? I waterblocked my 6900xt Red Devil with a carbonaut pad after having high junction temps with thermal paste, even after repasting a few times. For me, the carbonaut had the same hotspot issues thermal paste had. My only thought now is to try a washer mod but curious what your experience was and if you figured it out.

Hi! I failed the install with Kryosheet. However, I replaced thermal pads, thermal paste (again) and installed 0.5mm washers. Temps have been very solid.

Intel Core i5-13600KF @ 5.4/4.3Ghz (P/E) / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black / ASRock Z790 PG Lightning / 32GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 @ 6400Mhz CL32 / PowerColor Radeon RX 6950 XT Red Devil 16GB @ 2700Mhz / Samsung 980 Pro 1TB / WD Blue SN570 2TB / Corsair RM1000x / Lian Li Lancool 216 / Lenovo G27Q-20 (1440p & 165Hz IPS)