ARM based workstation with a tiny footprint from Korea | XSLAB | V-raptor SQ nano

snappercayt

Summary

This is a dream machine for ARM tinkerers, has 24 cores in a small size, cute case along with it! 

supplied_vraptor_sq_nano.jpgimage.png.893f35fee30b86d46b5734afd5c1c05e.png

Quotes

"Ubuntu server is pre-installed and the machine is intended as a test and dev machine for those dipping their toes into the world of Arm servers – or as a small server for home or educational use."

My thoughts

Great small machine which is not popular among western media and I wish Linus can discuss more Korean technologies and other international innovations as this product is really ahead of its time. 

Sources

1. https://xslab.co.kr/layout/eng/home.php?go=item.view&num=6

2. https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/05/computex_2023_from_sneaker_inspired/ 

image.png

Edited by snappercayt
double images

A53 cores with a max of 32GB of ram? I wouldn't call this a workstation by any means.

FWIW, each of those cores is pretty similar to the ones found in a Raspberry Pi 3 and the Zero 2, but with 6x more cores than those devices.

Still, if the pricing is right it could serve as a small build box or thinkering machine.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

24 A53 is a bizzare combination. You code must be very multi-threaded to make good use.

Also, for a server, 1 gig ethernet is too limiting. It should at least have a 2.5G port or more.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

You code must be very multi-threaded to make good use.

as a workstation part it is odd yes, for server use cases this is not a big deal many servers end up having very low signal threaded load, and mostly completely separable mutli threaded as well. 

I'll echo the other commenters here that I really don't see that as a workstation. But, I do think it's pretty interesting.

Seems like something that's really better thought of as competition or Raspberry Pi clusters. But the trade-offs are really quite different. This old design (A53) is only the second 64bit instruction set, and the current Pi 4 uses A72. 

It'd be interesting to see someone benchmark this machine against a 6 Pi cluster, as that would have the same number of cores. Do you know of any coverage that includes performance information? I've searched a little and could find some speculation that it's related to the Banana-Pi, but that uses A73 and not A53.

It might be useful if you want to develop/host many small webservers locally. I don't see many other uses for many core arm processors, especially an older core like the A53. 

Looking at other offering it's clear it's a dev kit for their webservice arm server processor, they must have developed it a while ago, or didn't have money to license A7* cores:
image.thumb.png.3eac16717a2fd63214bae05177b01971.png

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

24 A53 is a bizzare combination. You code must be very multi-threaded to make good use.

Being shipped with a server OS that is in my opinion mostly a non issue as majority of those who would buy this would probably run multiple server tools on it that benefit a lot from many core. Like multiple docker, database, web server pool. These kind of host already make use of multi core/thread.