Best CPU for 10Gbe NAS?

Building a 24TB 10Gbe NAS in a SFF case. What CPU would handle this best? Ryzen 3/5/7 Intel i5/i7?

The server is running Unraid. x3 NAS drives, x2 redundant drives, x1 ssd cache

what else are you doing on it?  

cuz a NAS alone doesn't need a ton of cpu power, unless you're doing a ton of encryption or something.

R5 / i5 would be plenty for normal NAS use.  
But is it SSD based?  Cuz HDDs will not saturate 10gbe unless you have a TON of drives.

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

what else are you doing on it?  

cuz a NAS alone doesn't need a ton of cpu power, unless you're doing a ton of encryption or something.

R5 / i5 would be plenty for normal NAS use.  
But is it SSD based?  Cuz HDDs will not saturate 10gbe unless you have a TON of drives.

its SSD cached with a 500gb Samsung 970 evo plus. 5 drives total. Its just storing game dev files that are being constantly updated and accessed.

3 minutes ago, SenpaiServs said:

its SSD cached with a 500gb Samsung 970 evo plus. 5 drives total. Its just storing game dev files that are being constantly updated and accessed.

THe nas part itself needs very little cpu. Something like a i3 would be more than plenty here. 

What os and drive config are you running?

Anything relatively modern will be fine.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

38 minutes ago, SenpaiServs said:

on 5 drives you will not be doing anything to saturate 10gbe.  

Ryzen at least supports ECC so that's a bonus. Ryzen 4100 is around 65$,  or you could get a 4600g for 95$ ...

A motherboard's also around $65-$85 ... you can get a motherboard with 2 pci-e x16 slots and put the video card in the bottom slot that has fewer pci-e lanes and put the 10g card in the pci-e x16/x8 slot.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THe nas part itself needs very little cpu. Something like a i3 would be more than plenty here. 

What os and drive config are you running?

Ill update the post, thanks for reminding me.

1 minute ago, SenpaiServs said:

Ill update the post, thanks for reminding me.

Unraid is normally pretty slow as it can read/write from one drive at a time. Switching to something like truenas would speed it up a lot.

Id probably go with. single parity with 5 drives if it was me, but 2 parity isn't a bad option.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Ryzen at least supports ECC so that's a bonus. Ryzen 4100 is around 65$,  or you could get a 4600g for 95$ ...

A motherboard's also around $65-$85 ... you can get a motherboard with 2 pci-e x16 slots and put the video card in the bottom slot that has fewer pci-e lanes and put the 10g card in the pci-e x16/x8 slot.

modding a SFF case (Meshlicious) to fit up to x9 3.5 drives. Whatever cpu i get, itll use iGPU. a 4600G isnt a bad idea.

59 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Unraid is normally pretty slow as it can read/write from one drive at a time. Switching to something like truenas would speed it up a lot.

Id probably go with. single parity with 5 drives if it was me, but 2 parity isn't a bad option.

well im backing up off site anyway so i should be fine with 1 parity. however ill have space for 9 drives so i could just toss in 1 more for extra storage later.