Positive/negative power switch cable

Hi, my build is basically finished. I am using an aftermsrket power switch. It doesnt say what cable is positive/negative. I know on the motherboars pos is right and neg is left. How do i find out which way i need to install the plug?

Thank you.20230610_184523.thumb.jpg.d5f1b82df4668953077c5ad70d0a092b.jpg

Just now, RandomNeedsHelp said:

Hi, my build is basically finished. I am using an aftermsrket power switch. It doesnt say what cable is positive/negative. I know on the motherboars pos is left and neg is right. How do i find out which way i need to install the plug?

Hi, my build is basically finished. I am using an aftermsrket power switch. It doesnt say what cable is positive/negative. I know on the motherboars pos is left and neg is right.How do i find out which way i need to install the plug?

7 minutes ago, RandomNeedsHelp said:

Hi, my build is basically finished. I am using an aftermsrket power switch. It doesnt say what cable is positive/negative. I know on the motherboars pos is right and neg is left. How do i find out which way i need to install the plug?

Doesn't actually matter. Unless you use some kind of "special" switch that needs to have proper flow of electricity for some reason (like LED inside the switch or something).

The use of the switch as power button is simply to momentarily short the two pins more "elegantly & easier"

(that's why people can turn on their motherboard with just a flatheat screwdriver or any other electrically conductive object)

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The power plug just shorts two cables to start your PC. It doesn't have a direction, plug it in whatever way you want. But in general, the + is the same direction for all the pins.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

33 minutes ago, RandomNeedsHelp said:

Hi, my build is basically finished. I am using an aftermsrket power switch. It doesnt say what cable is positive/negative. I know on the motherboars pos is left and neg is right.

Some things polarity matters, like LEDs (power LED, HD LED). The power switch, it doesn't matter which way you hook up technically. The switch just shorts the pins together, so there is technically no positive or negative.  Hook it up either way. Should not matter.

@RandomNeedsHelp I have merged your threads together. Please don't make duplicate threads. A single thread is all that is necessary. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card