My monitor cant get above 120hz now.

Clean2814

When I first got my monitor I was able to run 144hz perfectly fine for about a year and a half, then about two months ago I started getting glitches on the top of my screen. I found out that making any game or application windowed instead of full screen exclusive helped then a week later my screen would just turn completely black unless i turned my refresh rate down to 120. Today just roaming around my desktop my screen started glitching at the top again even though im at 120hz so i set it to 100hz and its gone. Iv already updated all my drivers like others have told me, Switched from a display port to an HDMI then back to a different display cord and still nothing worked. Im not sure if its the monitor or my PC at this point. 

that sounds incredibly weird. anyways, what GPU and monitor are u using?

cables don't degrade, so i would guess it is either software (f*** windows), monitor (degradation) or gpu (driver or degradation). 

and also what build of windows are you running? you can find out by win+r, type in winver and enter. e.g. mine is 22h2 build 19045.2006

and gpu driver version pls

DDU or fresh install of windows. If that didn't work then RMA the monitor. If your monitor has no warranty then rip.

I'm not exactly sure what's causing it, but it could just be the driver adapting to the monitor that is simply degrading over time.

I had an overclocking 146Hz profile for quite a while on my 120Hz laptop and one day I noticed that the color depth dropped from 8 bit to 6 bit. Added a 145Hz profile and 8 bit came back. Even longer ago, I had a 173Hz profile (for 6 bit colors) and only a few days later did it start artifacting. Dropped it to 172Hz and it's still stable as of right now.

So it might just be degradation of something part of the monitor.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

3 hours ago, cautiouslyoptimistic said:

that sounds incredibly weird. anyways, what GPU and monitor are u using?

cables don't degrade, so i would guess it is either software (f*** windows), monitor (degradation) or gpu (driver or degradation). 

and also what build of windows are you running? you can find out by win+r, type in winver and enter. e.g. mine is 22h2 build 19045.2006

and gpu driver version pls

Im using a RTX 3060 and my monitor is an AOC 24g2e. Im using 22H2 Build 22621.1702 nvidea driver 535.98

You still got your warranty? If yes send it back and get a new one. If you still got the problems it is highly possible it is something else 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

most probable source of the current issue:

https://youtu.be/Ct7PvLk510s?t=81

another case of 24g2e degredation? 

Current course of action is DDU and roll back drivers to known good version, maybe google the driver version. I found that video just by googling "535.98", if you install an older version, be sure to do the same check, to eliminate GPU as a potential problem source.

I...honestly didn't expect to see monitors dying like this. Maybe its time to put a fan behind my monitor to give the display controller some air... or just run it down from 170 to 144hz...

Edited by cautiouslyoptimistic

2 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

I'm not exactly sure what's causing it, but it could just be the driver adapting to the monitor that is simply degrading over time.

I had an overclocking 146Hz profile for quite a while on my 120Hz laptop and one day I noticed that the color depth dropped from 8 bit to 6 bit. Added a 145Hz profile and 8 bit came back. Even longer ago, I had a 173Hz profile (for 6 bit colors) and only a few days later did it start artifacting. Dropped it to 172Hz and it's still stable as of right now.

So it might just be degradation of something part of the monitor.

it's just especially problematic to oc the laptop display. 

when you oc the display, you are telling your GPU to supply a different (but for "oc" purposes, higher) data rate signal, and the display controller just have to do more work. 

yea... unless your laptop display has metal enclosure and use it to passive cool the controller(nobody does this AFAIK), you will not know when its overheating. Laptop display controllers are also crammed in, like so.

At least with some new or premium monitor designs, care has been taken to provide passive ventilation for the controller as to prevent it from being cooked, especially when data rate is high and monitor brightness is cranked (the display panel itself is also heat-generating).

Even if it had been the norm, it shouldn't be, and manufacturers are aware so new designs stopped completely suffocate monitors.

BTW its rare to have laptop display panel actually benefit from an oc. I play on 170hz monitor daily, and can notice 120hz, but not 144hz. This is all when the monitor is tuned for 170hz, as in the panel is fast enough to not ghost or smear, or have weird consistency issue accross the panel. many 120hz laptop panels does not even have pixel transition time to back it up.

Anyways, just my opinion that oc a laptop panel is not worth it. (especially as if you're out of warranty, you're out of luck, and have to repair it to use it as a laptop) however you could create lower resolution profiles at high refresh rate, as long as the signal clock speed is lower than that of native res at native max refresh, to ensure controller is still working within its intended limit.