External HDD or External SSD?

Budget (including currency): 130$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: File Backup

I am planning to purchase an external drive for data backup. I currently use a 1.5TB seagate expansion HDD , but the clicking and grinding noises with  random screeches while connecting it got me concerned . The maximum sequential speed of the HDD has also dropped to 70mbps from 130mbps . I think I can safely assume that the data in the HDD is at risk and I should make sure its safe

So here is my confusion , whether should I go for an external SSD or an external HDD.The current HDD is only 5 years old and started giving up even though it was not used much.Would it be a bright idea if I got an SSD , just to store stuff or should I stick with an HDD

I'll be joining college shortly and will be using the SSD/HDD till I complete my PG for storing stuff (around 8-10 years)

Can an external SSD store data safer than an external HDD? (Does it last longer?)

Is it worth the extra money I am paying?

I really don't mind the speed of the SSD Or HDD , I just want it to store stuff and last me for a decade probably without having to worry about it dying

15 minutes ago, Mxsaa said:

An SSD can store data for a "hardset limit" because the NAND will die. But It depends on the case the drive will be used. 

If it's mass storage at home always plugged in and just hoarding than hell, just get a new HDD.

I'll be doing a general backup every month (around 5gb). It's not gonna be plugged in 24/7 or writing something all the time....its just gonna stay in the shelf with the files in there

About the drive making screeching sounds and grinding. Stop using it for now, when you get a new one back up anything important. 

yesss , I'll do it

But overall I would say an SSD is better as the storage speeds sequentially and IOPS often way higher, so it'll be higher performance out of the drive. 

I really don't mind the speed of the stuff being copied , I just want to get one , and not think bout it dying for a decade (seems like its too much)

if you can tell me what you'll use the drive for, I can probably help figure out what's best

The first backup would have a 800GB of data dump from the HDD , after which It would be a 5gb data dump once a month or two (approx , sometimes there wont even be a need to take a backup in like 6 months)

I won't be taking it outside anywhere , it stays in the shelf , But I would often use it to access the data though (probably once in a week or two)

It's just used as a backup drive , won't be running any applications or games on it , Its mostly gonna stay in the shelf 

But I want it to work for the longest duration possible , as SSDs don't have moving parts , it kinda gives me confidence that it would last longer than an HDD , but then I have also read a few articles / people stating that the data might "fade" away when not used for long durations (sounds absurd , but gives me a confusion)

This was the exact usage the current HDD went through , and it started giving up now (I also have this internal HDD running for 14 years and abused even worse with unsafe shutdowns , still working great , but yea)

13 minutes ago, Mxsaa said:

I mean if the disk is for one thing and one thing only. Mass data hoarding. You could buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Cable-Adapter-Converter-Support/dp/B00MYU0EAU

and just have an abysmal amount of HDDs you can just buy back and forth.

But for what your use case seems to be either get some 3.5" Internal ones like Seagate barracudas. WD Purples (Or any consumer drives)

But get an HDD because i think mass storage is better for you.

But the HDDs+the adapter cost like 20-30$ less than the SSDs here

I dont want to buy a new HDD like once in every 5 years , I would rather spend an extra 30$ if the SSD is going to last me longer than the HDD

the adapter itself costs the price of an HDD here

image.png.c20005e6f209edd2f49013ff6600a508.pngimage.png.100a69cf084dda306b375529ca2437f4.png

While an SSD only costs like an extra 30$

image.png.6ba7880d01bcbe591b2e836cb5a758c2.png

This is how much an external HDD costs

image.png.8bb25a779147d68bb7c50e0ef21886e6.png

This is going to be kinda a long term investment and I'm trying to get a drive that lasts the longest

that 14 year old HDD is prolly the only HDD which lasted that long , every other HDD , external or internal did not last more than 5-6 years

As SSDs are something new for me (not something ive used for years and have some experience) , I have this slight doubt if SSDs work for more years if the writes are minimal (the storage's life is purely based on writes right? rather than the Uptime seen in HDDs where the duration of the motor spinning counts to its life)

Whichever way you decide to go,

get two of them.

One backup is not enough.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

7 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Whichever way you decide to go,

get two of them.

One backup is not enough.

Right , but it gets out of my budget right? 😅

6 hours ago, Mxsaa said:

If you want long lasting mass storage, get two drives. HDDs usually last longer with having data constantly written and deleted 

thats not my use case , because only the first use would have heavy writes , after which its gonna be very less to none (this is what i  meant by staying in the shelf)

I'll get an external HDD though if that is your recommendation 👍

54 minutes ago, Mxsaa said:

It depends on the amount of data you wanna store.. and the importance in a way.

What you can do if some of it is important. Some is not, get one larger and one smaller where you dump everything you can't afford to lose (clone the data to both drives)

Often external hard drives aren't the most expensive for a high data count.

Ah right , got it . I'll try to get it like that

In order to have defects on your HDD in just 5 years, you must've trashed it badly at some point. Such fails under normal use are extremely rare. I have 20 year old IDE drives which STILL work and are in perfect health. For external use only and longevity, HDD is the best, BUT it has to be treated well. No shocks and drops. Careful storing is the key. SSDs don't really care what you do to them once you unplug them, but the memory degradates and you are bound to lose information over time. Whether it's 3-5-7-10 years, depends on a lot of stuff a quite a bit of luck. For $130 i'd get a brand new 8TB drive and get a SATA to USB3 adapter and call it a day. I know that for that money you can get a RENEWED 14TB drive, but i just can't let myself trust such drive with valuable information. If i'm building a movie or music or game library.. you know - stuff that can be replaced easily, maybe then i'd use one. But for stuff like personal photos, videos and memories, only new. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |