How to upgrade boot drive?

IShyGuyI

My boot drive is always on the cusp of being full. I want to get one with more storage but how would I go about changing it for the old one? Do I need a new copy of windows or is it as simple as copying everything over to the new one? Thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, IShyGuyI said:

My boot drive is always on the cusp of being full. I want to get one with more storage but how would I go about changing it for the old one? Do I need a new copy of windows or is it as simple as copying everything over to the new one? Thanks for the help.

You should be able to just add another SSD or M.2 and use that as storage while keeping everything you got on the main boot drive. You dont need to install windows or do anything to the other hard drive, just install it in the motherboard.聽 I dont know what motherboard you got or if you are on a laptop.聽 Installing an SSD or M.2 is very simple 馃檪

use disk clone software to duplicate the old (boot) drive to a new larger one

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.聽

personally i wouldnt just move everything over to another drive because you are going to run into the same problem later when that one fills up. i would get a second much bigger drive than then transfer over everything except the OS and leave that on the first drive. not only will this clear up space for OS updates but also allow your computer to run faster as i have heard that you dont want to load your SSD over 75% as it will start to clow down then.聽