Why After PC Sleep Overnight.......Then Restart......Blue Screen ??

worstalentscout

my PC started having blue screens last week...............then took out 1 stick of RAM and it works for couple days............always put on sleep overnight then restart next day................however this morning, when restart after waking from sleep - blue screen again................so powered off, turn on okay in afternoon...............ran sfc /scannow + dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.............both okay..........

so what could be the problem ?.................could it be the other stick of RAM is faulty ?...............or RAM slot ?................or motherboard dying ?😬

4 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

my PC started having blue screens last week...............then took out 1 stick of RAM and it works for couple days............always put on sleep overnight then restart next day................however this morning, when restart after waking from sleep - blue screen again................so powered off, turn on okay in afternoon...............ran sfc /scannow + dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.............both okay..........

so what could be the problem ?.................could it be the other stick of RAM is faulty ?...............or RAM slot ?................or motherboard dying ?😬

maybe you should try..........................................putting ram in..........................................................all slots and......................................see if it boots...............................................if it doesnt........................................try the other stick..................

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Just..............................buy.......................a..........................new......................pc...

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

what is the error you are getting for the blue screen?

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

what is the error you are getting for the blue screen?

it gave me a couple of options like ...........''continue to windows''............. ''turn off pc'' ..............several others but i forgot which ones........

lucky thing was i turned it off and when i boot up again after several hours.........it works fine again.........

Maybe.........open up Event Viewer and look for BugCheck errors (BugCheck being the technical term for a blue screen error), note the number of the BugCheck error, something like 0x0001xx.........better yet give us a screenshot of your Event Viewer.........

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

5 hours ago, emothxughts said:

Maybe.........open up Event Viewer and look for BugCheck errors (BugCheck being the technical term for a blue screen error), note the number of the BugCheck error, something like 0x0001xx.........better yet give us a screenshot of your Event Viewer.........

so i do this after the next blue screen since i had since powered off and then on again after the last blue screen ?

i read that if i have USB devices connected to the PC as i restart it might produce blue screen too ?

1 hour ago, worstalentscout said:

so i do this after the next blue screen since i had since powered off and then on again after the last blue screen ?

i read that if i have USB devices connected to the PC as i restart it might produce blue screen too ?

I mean, check the Event Viewer right now, while the PC is on, look for the errors that happened around the time the bluescreens happened.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

11 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

it gave me a couple of options like ...........''continue to windows''............. ''turn off pc'' ..............several others but i forgot which ones........

lucky thing was i turned it off and when i boot up again after several hours.........it works fine again.........

i meant on the blue screen what does it say failed as the reason why you got the blue screen? like blue screen. stopcode XXXXXXXXXX
what failed: XXXXXXXX

if turning off your PC for a few hours seems to have temporarily fixed the issue, then you might have a temp problem and the simplest solution is reapply thermal paste to the CPU.

13 hours ago, tdkid said:

i meant on the blue screen what does it say failed as the reason why you got the blue screen? like blue screen. stopcode XXXXXXXXXX
what failed: XXXXXXXX

if turning off your PC for a few hours seems to have temporarily fixed the issue, then you might have a temp problem and the simplest solution is reapply thermal paste to the CPU.

i don't think it's a temp issue since i don't play games at all.............i got the blue screen as i restarted the pc...........just hope it doesn't happen again

2 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

i don't think it's a temp issue since i don't play games at all.............i got the blue screen as i restarted the pc...........just hope it doesn't happen again

what are your computer specs? i mean case, motherboard, CPU, etc.. you can still have a temp issue because of lack of airflow inside the case, thermal paste on the CPU being dried out or simply because of one of the temp sensors for whatever part has failed and to protect itself, the computer will shut down. 

what is the error/what failed code the blue screen is giving you when it appears?

7 hours ago, tdkid said:

what are your computer specs? i mean case, motherboard, CPU, etc.. you can still have a temp issue because of lack of airflow inside the case, thermal paste on the CPU being dried out or simply because of one of the temp sensors for whatever part has failed and to protect itself, the computer will shut down. 

what is the error/what failed code the blue screen is giving you when it appears?

i managed to restart last night and it was fine...........my pc is very basic...........CPU is a AMD Ryzen 3200G.............no graphics card...............motherboard is ASRock B450m Steel Legend.........

the blue screen was just giving me options...............i can't remember it well.........it was a start up problem and it appeared when i restarted the pc........

if its a start up problem and happens every once in a while. the storage device you have the OS stored on might be starting to fail and it might be time to start looking for a replacement. 

7 hours ago, tdkid said:

if its a start up problem and happens every once in a while. the storage device you have the OS stored on might be starting to fail and it might be time to start looking for a replacement. 

i've made 2 clones for my boot drive so i can use them if there's a need to.................i'm far more worried if the RAM slot or the motherboard is dying..............i might have to end up with buying a new motherboard AND new processor............😭

3 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

i've made 2 clones for my boot drive so i can use them if there's a need to.................i'm far more worried if the RAM slot or the motherboard is dying..............i might have to end up with buying a new motherboard AND new processor............😭

you might just need to buy new ram and it would be the cheaper way to go to start. 

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

you might just need to buy new ram and it would be the cheaper way to go to start. 

i can get a replacement from the local distributor since the RAM is only 20 months old

1 minute ago, worstalentscout said:

i can get a replacement from the local distributor since the RAM is only 20 months old

if its only 20 months old then that might not be the problem as there really isnt any moving parts in RAM. but i would at least shut the computer down and make sure everything is where it should be and tight. something may have come loose or something might be causing a short.

9 hours ago, tdkid said:

if its only 20 months old then that might not be the problem as there really isnt any moving parts in RAM. but i would at least shut the computer down and make sure everything is where it should be and tight. something may have come loose or something might be causing a short.

i will test out the RAM again on a later date..............hope it's not RAM slot 4 at fault............

13 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

i will test out the RAM again on a later date..............hope it's not RAM slot 4 at fault............

if it is slot 4, then there is probably nothing you can do and you will need to get a new board. 

12 hours ago, tdkid said:

if it is slot 4, then there is probably nothing you can do and you will need to get a new board. 

i asked about this and i was told i can use 2 sticks of RAM in slots 1 + 3..............but if that doesn't work, i'll sell off my existing 2 x 8GB RAM and get 1 x 16GB and i can use that with slots 1 to 3.............

9 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

i asked about this and i was told i can use 2 sticks of RAM in slots 1 + 3..............but if that doesn't work, i'll sell off my existing 2 x 8GB RAM and get 1 x 16GB and i can use that with slots 1 to 3.............

i dont think you can use just 1 stick of ram, most motherboards are dual channel meaning you need 2 sticks so you might need to buy another 2 8GB ram sticks or personally I would upgrade to 2 16Gb sticks. but this is just what I would do.

18 hours ago, tdkid said:

i dont think you can use just 1 stick of ram, most motherboards are dual channel meaning you need 2 sticks so you might need to buy another 2 8GB ram sticks or personally I would upgrade to 2 16Gb sticks. but this is just what I would do.

i'm using just 1 stick of 8GB RAM right now...........

6 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

i'm using just 1 stick of 8GB RAM right now...........

if it works it worked but that might be part of the problem. not only because of the single stick but also because its only 8GB. i have a cheap 200 laptop that only has 4GB of ram in it. it works but is extremely slow or doesn't run correctly at all because of most everything taking up 1GB or more. you might want to look into getting 1-2 sticks of 16-32GB ram and see how that does.

10 hours ago, tdkid said:

if it works it worked but that might be part of the problem. not only because of the single stick but also because its only 8GB. i have a cheap 200 laptop that only has 4GB of ram in it. it works but is extremely slow or doesn't run correctly at all because of most everything taking up 1GB or more. you might want to look into getting 1-2 sticks of 16-32GB ram and see how that does.

i need to wait a bit before i try out my 2nd stick of RAM (supposedly the faulty one)............then see if RAM slot 4 is okay or not............if the slot is faulty then i'll get a single piece of 16GB RAM...........😭

1 hour ago, worstalentscout said:

i need to wait a bit before i try out my 2nd stick of RAM (supposedly the faulty one)............then see if RAM slot 4 is okay or not............if the slot is faulty then i'll get a single piece of 16GB RAM...........😭

you might want to make sure that your motherboard can run off of only 1 stick. most say support dual channel but from what little I know, this means that 2 sticks are required, either in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.