Asus Strix GTX 1080 GPU fans stay at 100% all the time

Tresty

Hello, I have an Asus Strix GTX 1080, and when any type of load is put on the card, vents go from zero rpm to full 100% in a second and stay there, not slowing down even if there is no load on the card anymoree and temp is 30C, not even restart stops them, only turning off the PC.

I have isolated the problem to the card itself. It does this on 3 different pcs, I have even eliminated the fans from the ecuation (I had a friend with an Asus GTX 1070ti come over and we tried his vents in the 1080, same problem, but the 1080 vents in 1070ti work just fine).

It almost looks like there is no PWM in the fans anymore, they are either on at full 100% or off (just at start).

I have also tried 120mm PWM fans in the 2 slots on the card, those work just fine, they are zero rpm at idle, spin up in load and then stop again when load is off. So it is only related to the 3 original fans.

Any idea what I can do? Google has shown me there are a lot of people with this problem, but mostly say it is the fans not being plugged in correctly or the connection from the PSU not being fully in, but those do not apply since I have changed pcs 3 times and I checked the fans in another GPU.

Also, when fans are at 100% on idle, MSI Afterburner and GPUz both say the fans are at zero rpm. There is no weird fan curve/software issue, this happens even on a fresh Windows install.

44 minutes ago, Tresty said:

I have also tried 120mm PWM fans in the 2 slots on the card, those work just fine, they are zero rpm at idle, spin up in load and then stop again when load is off. So it is only related to the 3 original fans.

Sounds to me like you you have two options 

One option is to deshroud the GPU and use larger fans which was often done by people a few years ago and the other option is to pick up some new fans for the card and swap out the ones that appear to be stuck in the off or full tilt mode.

MSI afterburner does have options for fans to be controlled manually so just wondering if you tried that to see if you can effect the situation but if those fans behaved this way on 3 PCs  already I think they are at end of life.....

Have you reappliead thermal paste recently? Like properly spread it out 100% cover and then added a bit more?

The gpu can be freaking out because some part isnt making proper contact with the heatsink

5 hours ago, johnno23 said:

Sounds to me like you you have two options 

One option is to deshroud the GPU and use larger fans which was often done by people a few years ago and the other option is to pick up some new fans for the card and swap out the ones that appear to be stuck in the off or full tilt mode.

MSI afterburner does have options for fans to be controlled manually so just wondering if you tried that to see if you can effect the situation but if those fans behaved this way on 3 PCs  already I think they are at end of life.....

As I have said the fans work perfectly fine, I have tested them in an 1070ti. The fans from the 1070ti still do the exact same 100% thing in 1080. 

And as I have also said it is surely a hardware issue not software all programs do absolutely nothing MSI Afterburner etc. They just report 0RPM when idle even though the fans are full speed.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Have you reappliead thermal paste recently? Like properly spread it out 100% cover and then added a bit more?

The gpu can be freaking out because some part isnt making proper contact with the heatsink

I have reapplied the thermal paste twice, and also the thermal pads. The temps are great because of the 100% fans, after a full Unigine Superposition 8k is 55C gpu, and 67C hotspot.

then it has to be the fan control on the card itself causing the issue.

you can unplug the fans from the card and adapt the wire to a standard connector then plug directly into the motherboard PWM and control fans speeds with a fan curve from there.

or de shroud and use two larger fans and connect them to the motherboard.

people are only trying to help..

As for the MSI issue i was referring to the MSI settings as they do have a setting where if everything is actually working properly you can override the GPU fan curve which is generally on auto and create your own curve......it was merely a suggestion to see if you could get any control over them nothing more.

22 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

then it has to be the fan control on the card itself causing the issue.

you can unplug the fans from the card and adapt the wire to a standard connector then plug directly into the motherboard PWM and control fans speeds with a fan curve from there.

or de shroud and use two larger fans and connect them to the motherboard.

people are only trying to help..

As for the MSI issue i was referring to the MSI settings as they do have a setting where if everything is actually working properly you can override the GPU fan curve which is generally on auto and create your own curve......it was merely a suggestion to see if you could get any control over them nothing more.

The part about adapting the 3 fans and plug them into the standard 4 pin pwm plug sounds like something doable, I'll look into that. The number of wires is different though, hopefully the colors will help. But that would imply cutting the end of the fans and expose the wires... 

The second solution seems better, to remove the RGB entirely and the plastic shroud and just sticka couple of Noctuas over. The GPU is barely even heating with the new paste, should be ok.

And the MSI Afterburner custom curve does nothing, it is the first thing I tried. Nothing software works to modify the fan speed once it is 100%.

My GTX 1080ti  has the fans daisy chained and only the last plug is connected to the board.

the wires i cannot remember with 100% surety if the colours were visible but i do believe they were.

the LED lighting for logo is a separate 2 pin plug. its a long time ago now that I repasted and the card is in my wifes PC now.

it should be possible to lift the fan connector from the card and make a bridge to a standard fan cable extension without cutting wires.

I would cut the connector from the fan extension cable itself and apply a little solder to them so that they act as pins that could be inserted into the 

fan connector of the GPU. the fans connector is female and the socket on the card is male. The cable for the fans should be sleeved so you could possibly pull the sleeve back and expose them with doing anything destructive on the GPU side of things.