Deepcool AK400 Cracks ?

BunnyKraken

Hi, just bought a budget cooler for ryzen 3600 instead of the stock cooler, the deepcool ak400. Just wanted to make sure if the crack(s) in thea heatsink joints is "normal" for these kind of budget heatsinks, and if its safe to use it without heating problems. I can still return it but if its okey to use then its fine like this.

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/Ae3ZK28AaR

Safe to use in my opinion, looks normal.
Whatever slight imperfections there are on the bottom of it is covered by thermal paste so I say this is good to go 🙂 Only way to test is to use it and see if it keeps the CPU cool, if it doesn't you can still return it due to warranty without issues if its a recent purchase.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Safe to use in my opinion, looks normal.
Whatever slight imperfections there are on the bottom of it is covered by thermal paste so I say this is good to go 🙂 Only way to test is to use it and see if it keeps the CPU cool, if it doesn't you can still return it due to warranty without issues if its a recent purchase.

Thanks for your reply and time. Tried to google close up images and it seems some of the reviews have it more even mine has a gap between and then smaller gap in the side. Some even compliment how even the surface is. Found that some images showed some imperfections, but nothing like mine 🙂 Still a little hesitant if I should try it or return it, but the price range was optimal and the reviews okey for this model.

6 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for your reply and time. Tried to google close up images and it seems some of the reviews have it more even mine has a gap between and then smaller gap in the side. Some even compliment how even the surface is. Found that some images showed some imperfections, but nothing like mine 🙂 Still a little hesitant if I should try it or return it, but the price range was optimal and the reviews okey for this model.

No problem mate 🙂 The deepcool ak400 is definitely a nice budget CPU cooler and I like it a lot!    I dont think yours is a bad sample and I think it will work just fine with some thermal paste, thats why the thermal paste is there 🙂  I think it will work just fine!  Even if it doesn't work as well as you thought you can still remove the cooler and return it, its not like your CPU is going to explode if it doesn't 'function 100% ', it will still make more than enough contact to start the PC and mess around with stresstests etc.  I would personally use it and not think too much about it, its not going to get worse over time, its a non moving part.

9 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

I downloaded the picture and inspected it a lot closer just to be 100% sure.  The cracks you see will be filled with thermal paste and the copper base will make great contact against the CPU. The copper / heatpipe that will make contact look flat and good.  As written above, I would use it 🙂

It will work.

It might not be the best, but it will work.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

38 minutes ago, freeagent said:

It will work.

It might not be the best, but it will work.

Thank you 🙂 This is what happends when you try to save a little in every corner, thought that 20$ less would be just fine. Are we talking 1-2celsius, 5-10 celsius difference or no difference at all compared to a more optimized AK400. I know its hard to predict, just havent seen this before. 

50 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I downloaded the picture and inspected it a lot closer just to be 100% sure.  The cracks you see will be filled with thermal paste and the copper base will make great contact against the CPU. The copper / heatpipe that will make contact look flat and good.  As written above, I would use it 🙂

Thank you hard to get a decent picture, the gap in the middle between the copper was the largest with about maybe 0.1mm gap, it got filled with the factory thermal paste I took off, like you also mentioned would happen when used. Thank you for your time and answer, glad to hear its okey to use. If it wouldnt be the cheapest and still with decent reviews I would return it, however I need to assemble the PC tomorrow and that was the last one in stock. The jump was about 20$ to be quiet slim and other models.

2 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thank you hard to get a decent picture, the gap in the middle between the copper was the largest with about maybe 0.1mm gap, it got filled with the factory thermal paste I took off, like you also mentioned would happen when used. Thank you for your time and answer, glad to hear its okey to use. If it wouldnt be the cheapest and still with decent reviews I would return it, however I need to assemble the PC tomorrow and that was the last one in stock. The jump was about 20$ to be quiet slim and other models.

Hey, no problem 🙂 Thats what this forum is for!  Dont worry about the cooler, its completely fine and as you see the thermal paste will fill in the gaps, thats what its there for! 🙂   Assemble the PC and stop worrying, its all good. The copper parts are what matters, as long as they make good contact it will cool just fine.

25 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thank you 🙂 This is what happends when you try to save a little in every corner, thought that 20$ less would be just fine. Are we talking 1-2celsius, 5-10 celsius difference or no difference at all compared to a more optimized AK400. I know its hard to predict, just havent seen this before. 

Honestly, it reminds me of the Hyper 212 Evo that my brother gave me, circa 2012. It has gaps like that, and for the CPUs that I had at the time, it was a terrible cooler. So  bad in fact, that I bash it every chance that I get.

But this one looks like it was made a little better.. and a 3600 is pretty easy to cool, my first AM4 part was a 3600XT that I had to run with the stock cooler 😄

It wasn't great.. but it worked 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's