Are most of these huge air coolers for CPUs overkill in normal usage?

Samuel Reichert

Dear all,

I just bought and installed a Ryzen 5800x3d and kept my old Deepcool Gammaxx c40 as a cooler (92mm fans, ~130 TDP), because I hadn't decided on a new one yet. But now as I'm using the PC with this combination of CPU and cooler, I recognize that the CPU won't go above ~40°C average in idle and ~60°C while gaming, so quite okay temps, I think. Okay, when running cinebench, it's at 90°C in no time. But actually, I think, for me, the scenario cinebench is creating is quite unrealistic for the kind of work I will use this PC for, namely gaming and online-VTTs like roll20. So, my question is: Should I even buy a new cooler and more generally asked: Are most of these huge ~200W-TDP-coolers actually overkill for normal everyday use and just waste of money?

I apologize for grammar and spelling mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks for any answers.

Samuel

Edited by Samuel Reichert

1 minute ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Dear all,

I just bought and installed a Ryzen 5800x3d and kept my old Deepcool Gammaxx c40 as a cooler (92mm fans, ~130 TDP), because I hadn't decided on a new one yet. But now as I'm using the PC with this combination of CPU and cooler, I recognize that the CPU won't go above ~40°C average in idle and ~60°C. Okay, when running cinebench, it's at 90°C in no time. But actually, I think, for me, the scenario cinebench is creating is quite unrealistic for the kind of work I will use this PC for, namely gaming and online-VTTs like roll20. So, my question is: Should I even buy a new cooler and more generally asked: Are most of these huge ~200W-TDP-coolers actually overkill for normal everyday use and just waste of money?

Thanks for any answers.

Samuel

i have an ml360 illusion and in cinebench it goes to 83°C while it has -30 on all cores

so id say without undervolting, 90 is realisitc for benchmarks

but for general gaming i usulay dont go over 60

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

4 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

i have an ml360 illusion and in cinebench it goes to 83°C while it has -30 on all cores

so id say without undervolting, 90 is realisitc for benchmarks

but for general gaming i usulay dont go over 60

Hi Blqckqut,

thanks for your data. So, as I see it, there is no actual difference between your cooling solution and mine when it comes to actual temperatures? That brings me back to my question: Can you save your money on huge cooling solutions?

1 minute ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Hi Blqckqut,

thanks for your data. So, as I see it, there is no actual difference between your cooling solution and mine when it comes to actual temperatures? That brings me back to my question: Can you save your money on huge cooling solutions?

depends on what saving money is, 70 bucks is the right amount for a good air cooler, my aio is 120 bc i wanted the rgb and nothing blocking the view

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

2 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

depends on what saving money is, 70 bucks is the right amount for a good air cooler, my aio is 120 bc i wanted the rgb and nothing blocking the view

Yes, I see. But I was really wondering if something like a DR pro 4 is really necessary for everyday use, when my temps seem just fine with a 92mm-fan-cooler. It's more of a general question.

3 minutes ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Yes, I see. But I was really wondering if something like a DR pro 4 is really necessary for everyday use, when my temps seem just fine with a 92mm-fan-cooler. It's more of a general question.

well really depends on what games you play

if its games that arent AAA or anything like call of duty, then ur fine, altho if it is like that, then u might want a good cooler, especialy on the 5800x3d, speaking from experience

how long have you had this system? maybe you just need to repaste it

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Many of the bigger bulkier ones are overkill for most gaming tasks, yes. That said, some games can absolutely put a higher load on your CPU and overwhelm your cooler if it's not up to par. Also, for longer gaming sessions when it spikes a higher workload - smaller coolers can experience thermal runaway over time and get 'heat soaked'. Larger coolers have more mass to mitigate that. A quick benchmark doesn't show that unless you run it for at least 20-30min or so.

The cooler you have now is probably similar to AMD's Wraith Prism in performance. Try playing a game for a while, if you find your temps sitting too high and thermal throttling, I would replace it with something a bit beefier. I'm using an Arctic Esports 34 Duo myself and have been pretty happy with it on a 5900X.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

2 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

well really depends on what games you play

if its games that arent AAA or anything like call of duty, then ur fine, altho if it is like that, then u might want a good cooler

how long have you had this system? maybe you just need to repaste it

Sorry, I forgot half a sentence in my original post: It was supposed to say, that in gaming (Days Gone) it doesn't go above 60°C. I have the CPU since yesterday.

3 minutes ago, gen_angry said:

Many of the bigger bulkier ones are overkill for most gaming tasks, yes. That said, some games can absolutely put a higher load on your CPU and overwhelm your cooler if it's not up to par. Also, for longer gaming sessions when it spikes a higher workload - smaller coolers can experience thermal runaway over time and get 'heat soaked'. Larger coolers have more mass to mitigate that. A quick benchmark doesn't show that unless you run it for at least 20-30min or so.

The cooler you have now is probably similar to AMD's Wraith Prism in performance. Try playing a game for a while, if you find your temps sitting too high and thermal throttling, I would replace it with something a bit beefier. I'm using an Arctic Esports 34 Duo myself and have been pretty happy with it on a 5900X.

Thanks! You are right. I wasn't thinking about thermal "soaking". Until now I just played days gone for about 2 hours and the CPU stayed at ~60°C. Maybe, as you said, I should try some more games.

2 minutes ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Sorry, I forgot half a sentence in my original post: It was supposed to say, that in gaming (Days Gone) it doesn't go above 60°C. I have the CPU since yesterday.

then ur fine

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

24 minutes ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Gaming temps really depends on the game, some leave the CPU cool others are very demanding (try something like TW Warhammer 3, I'm up to 75C on a 280mm AIO!)

Cooler choice is a mix of price, performance and temps, if you have good temps and don't feel your cooler is too loud then it's ok 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

With Thermalright FC140 and PS120SE I can run my 5800X3D semi passively. If I run my 5900X at 100% box stock with ram at 3200 I could run it semi passively as well.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Dear all,

a little update to whom it might be of interest: After your answers, especially concerning heat saturation and "mass to mitigate" it, I got me a Dark Rock 4 Pro and lo and behold, the behaviour of the temperature is far more stable. While playing Days Gone the CPU now is constantly around ~48°C and during idle there are no more sudden spikes into the 80s. So, obviously the cooler behaves much more inert (if that's the right word). Thank you all for your answers!

Have a nice day.

Samuel

11 hours ago, Samuel Reichert said:

Dear all,

I just bought and installed a Ryzen 5800x3d and kept my old Deepcool Gammaxx c40 as a cooler (92mm fans, ~130 TDP), because I hadn't decided on a new one yet. But now as I'm using the PC with this combination of CPU and cooler, I recognize that the CPU won't go above ~40°C average in idle and ~60°C while gaming, so quite okay temps, I think. Okay, when running cinebench, it's at 90°C in no time. But actually, I think, for me, the scenario cinebench is creating is quite unrealistic for the kind of work I will use this PC for, namely gaming and online-VTTs like roll20. So, my question is: Should I even buy a new cooler and more generally asked: Are most of these huge ~200W-TDP-coolers actually overkill for normal everyday use and just waste of money?

Thanks for any answers.

Samuel

Short answer: Keep the Gammax. No, 200W coolers aren't overkill. 

Long answer: Aside from sub-0 cooling, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to cooling. This is because most, if not all, CPUs function better at lower temps. 

If your cooler fulfills your needs, you can keep it until you get to the point where it is no longer keeping your CPU's temps low, you can wait until you see a bigger cooler at an amazing price and get it then, or a combination of those 2 options. It may be months or years before you'll need something better.

Just my opinions. I hope that helps. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂