Random System Crashes and Bluescreen on new CPU, MB & Ram install

kriptcs
Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

DPC watchdog means that there is a procedure that stops functioning. It’s usually either ram, storage, or cpu hardware fault on a fresh install. 

Greetings! I recently installed a Ryzen 9 7900x + Asus X670 Prime-P + Corsair Vengeance 32GB and I have been getting random blue screens or just system crashes with no error ever since I put them on.
All the bluescreen errors I get are linked to outdated windows even though I did a windows + bios update today and a GPU update yesterday.
My temps are fine (as fine as Ryzen 9 7th gen temps go) and my powerdraw should be fine. I have a 750W PSU and it's estimated my system draws about 500W.
It is worth noting though that the CPU power cable plugged into the MB is only an 8 pin even though I have another 4 pin slot where I can plug another one in (I don't have the cable for that for now). Could that be the cause? I have checked the motherboard manual before installing and it did say that it's fine with just the 8 pin so I am not sure what to think about it.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I decided to do a windows reinstall just to make sure I install the right drivers now with new hardware and towards the end of the installation got a BSOD: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

I have got this error before among the 5 times my pc bsod'd tonight.

UPDATE 2: Windows managed to install but as it was "Getting ready" it yet again got a BSOD with the same error

I then let it do its thing and apparently I have windows installed on 2 volumes..I tried both and they lead me to a scren saying "Your PC needs to be repaired" with error code: 0xc0000225

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

8-pin CPU power cables can handle like 300w so it's definitely not that. I had something similar happen to me when I was changing memory speeds and had to go back to a restore point, but obviously that isn't an option if you've just performed a fresh Windows install. What happens when Windows tries to repair itself? Does it come up with the same error code 0xc0000225? Sounds like the BCD is corrupt and needs repairing. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

10 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

8-pin CPU power cables can handle like 300w so it's definitely not that. I had something similar happen to me when I was changing memory speeds and had to go back to a restore point, but obviously that isn't an option if you've just performed a fresh Windows install. What happens when Windows tries to repair itself? Does it come up with the same error code 0xc0000225? Sounds like the BCD is corrupt and needs repairing. 

Yes. I am still not able to boot into Windows after 10 tries. Including letting it do its thing or just going in again and reinstalling. Tried a different drive and got the same error. How do I repair my BCD and how did I reach this point?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

14 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

Also, how could it possible be a Windows error if I constantly reinstall it. When I format my drive I expect that they are completely empty and there is no windows or any bootable drive. How do I get BSODs whem windows isn't even installed?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

2 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

Yes. I am still not able to boot into Windows after 10 tries. Including letting it do its thing or just going in again and reinstalling. Tried a different drive and got the same error. How do I repair my BCD and how did I reach this point?

One thing I would suggest is reducing memory speed and/or removing all but one DIMM module and trying to boot with just one installed. How the BCD can be corrupt even in a fresh install is beyond me but I'm sure other people will have other, better ideas lol. What's your board's maximum rated memory speed? 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

DPC watchdog means that there is a procedure that stops functioning. It’s usually either ram, storage, or cpu hardware fault on a fresh install. 

2 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

How do I figure out what is the culprit? I assume it can't be the drive since I tried installing windows on 2 different m.2s and had the same error.

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

4 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

One thing I would suggest is reducing memory speed and/or removing all but one DIMM module and trying to boot with just one installed. How the BCD can be corrupt even in a fresh install is beyond me but I'm sure other people will have other, better ideas lol. What's your board's maximum rated memory speed? 

4x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5, 4800 to 6400+(OC) Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory * - according to the first thing on google. I am running 2x16 in the recommended slots

my ram out the box was running 4800. I even tried DOCP to 6..something but it made no difference. I was BSODing on both settings.

Will try to remove some ram. I will try to run some commands on cmd since I got the screen now

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

7 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

How do I figure out what is the culprit? I assume it can't be the drive since I tried installing windows on 2 different m.2s and had the same error.

Install one ram stick into slot A2 (2nd away from cpu). Make sure XMP/DOCP is off in bios.

try a fresh install again. If it fails/BSODs, try the same again with the other ram stick. If neither works, it’s probably your cpu…but this is where it becomes a game of swap the Lego piece. I’d probably try another type of ram first because that’s cheap.

You could take the components to your local pc repair place to get tested if you don’t want to start p(l)aying whack a mole.

And you might get to the end of the road having swapped everything but mobo…been there done that. 

4 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Install one ram stick into slot A2 (2nd away from cpu). Make sure XMP/DOCP is off in bios.

try a fresh install again. If it fails/BSODs, try the same again with the other ram stick. If neither works, it’s probably your cpu…but this is where it becomes a game of swap the Lego piece. I’d probably try another type of ram first because that’s cheap.

You could take the components to your local pc repair place to get tested if you don’t want to start p(l)aying whack a mole.

Will try the RAM thing. But how do components break like that? Is it manufacturing defects or is there a way I royalled f'd up to get to this point?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

5 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

Will try the RAM thing. But how do components break like that? Is it manufacturing defects or is there a way I royalled f'd up to get to this point?

Lots of ways components can die from static electricity to physical damage (even unseen - sometimes solder joints have micro fractures). If they are new components, most likely nothing you did, unless you went rubbing your feet along carpet in wool socks for a few minutes before assembling the pc.

It’s good to have one of those anti static bracelets or make sure you ground yourself on something before touching a component. I usually install the psu first, plug it in, and make sure I’m touching the case (which is now grounded) along the process.

2 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Lots of ways components can die from static electricity to physical damage (even unseen - sometimes solder joints have micro fractures). If they are new components, most likely nothing you did, unless you went rubbing your feet along carpet in wool socks for a few minutes before assembling the pc.

It’s good to have one of those anti static bracelets or make sure you ground yourself on something before touching a component. I usually install the psu first, plug it in, and make sure I’m touching the case (which is grounded) along the process.

I do have one of those I just don't know where I put it. I also built quite a few pcs witout it and it went all well. I guess never again..

So one ram works and boots up and has not yet BSOD'd. I guess I should try to switch the sticks around and confirm?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Just now, kriptcs said:

I do have one of those I just don't know where I put it. I also built quite a few pcs witout it and it went all well. I guess never again..

So one ram works and boots up and has not yet BSOD'd. I guess I should try to switch the sticks around and confirm?

Yup, switch it up and see if you get different results. If both work by themselves, it may be a memory controller issue, or motherboard issue with slot B2.

16 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Please attach the dump files as instructed in the BSOD posting instructions thread.

I mean sure but if I couldn't even install windows without getting a bsod what do I dump?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

24 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Yup, switch it up and see if you get different results. If both work by themselves, it may be a memory controller issue, or motherboard issue with slot B2.

So the more bizzare issue is it seems that just 1 ram seems to work. Doesn't matter which ram or which slot. I haven't got a bsod since u sent that message..I will do some more extensive testing of course and figure it out. Thank you for the insight!

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

24 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

So the more bizzare issue is it seems that just 1 ram seems to work. Doesn't matter which ram or which slot. I haven't got a bsod since u sent that message..I will do some more extensive testing of course and figure it out. Thank you for the insight!

If you can boot now, grab the dump files that way.

26 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

I mean sure but if I couldn't even install windows without getting a bsod what do I dump?

You can grab them from a Live Linux session.