HP ProDesk 400 G4 Microtower Business PC (upgrade)

Hi,

I recently bought an HP ProDesk 400 G4 Microtower Business PC ( Product No. 1JJ56EA#ABH ) and i wanted to upgrade it but i don't have a lot of experience with building a pc. I have an budget of 500 euro's. And i live in the netherlands. Can anyone help?

Depends on what you wanna do. First step, is to determine if the PSU is in a standard form factor, and if it can handle any upgrades, or itself needs to be upgraded.

Then check the BIOS to see what CPUs it'll support (and likely this being business-oriented, few/no options in the BIOS will exist for overclocking or RAM timing adjustment) and if it's not on the list, it won't support it.

Is this what you bought?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05361522

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

That's the pc i have. The psu is not a standard form factor. you can see wich cpu's it supports in the document. Do you have any recommendations for me to upgrade this pc? i have the cpu intel i5 7500.

What do you want to upgrade? Graphics? CPU? RAM?

RAM should be easy, it's just regular unregistered, unbuffered DDR4.

You're limited to Skylake and Kaby Lake (6th and 7th gen) CPUs, so your high end CPUs are the i7 7600 and i7 7700.

Your GPU options are limited by your chassis and your power supply. If you have a small form factor chassis, you'll be limited to half-height cards. (And if it's a micro PC, forget it.) You probably have a 180 watt or 310 watt PSU. You might be able to use a low end card that only draws power from the PCIe slot, but if you have a full tower and want to run a GPU that requires a power connection you'll have to replace your power supply. That's certainly possible, you'll just need a 24-pin to HP 6-pin ATX power adapter cable.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i want to replace the psu so i can use a better gpu. any recommendations?

1 hour ago, jadenboeldak said:

Hi,

I recently bought an HP ProDesk 400 G4 Microtower Business PC ( Product No. 1JJ56EA#ABH ) and i wanted to upgrade it but i don't have a lot of experience with building a pc. I have an budget of 500 euro's. And i live in the netherlands. Can anyone help?

Sell it and get a standard PC with upgradable parts...

Really there isn't much point trying to upgrade that, CPU is from 2015, PSU and board aren't standard

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, jadenboeldak said:

i want to replace the psu so i can use a better gpu. any recommendations?

The non-standard PSU form factor is a huge problem. One that may not be cost effective to solve. Let me look about and see what options you might have

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

No dice on a new PSU, you get to buy the crappy proprietary HP ones, or nothing...