Best GTX 770?

I'm looking for a 770 for a friend's upcoming build and was wondering which one to get him. Cost is an issue here, so don't recommend something like a 770 lighting without justifying it. He'll be air cooling it too, so a decent aftermarket cooler is essential. It'll be running icnside a Corsair 350D.

EDIT: As much as I've tried to persuade him otherwise, he doesn't want to overclock anything he's got a H87 board and a non-k series i5 to give you an idea of just how budget minded the build is.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I'm looking for a 770 for a friend's upcoming build and was wondering which one to get him. Cost is an issue here, so don't recommend something like a 770 lighting without justifying it. He'll be air cooling it too, so a decent aftermarket cooler is essential. It'll be running inside a Corsair 350D.

Does he intend to overclock it intensely?

Does he intend to leave it at stock?

Something in between?

In general I'm a fan of the Phantom and the DCII

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The EVGA ACX is solid, and will overclock to just as high as the SC. Plus there's the legendary EVGA support, and it fits the aesthetic of the 350D (If I do say so myself).

The ASUS is a close second for me, and if you're getting an ROG or one of the MSI gaming boards, it'll color match.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

It is kind of personal preference,they are all alot alike.Preety much pick a color and you wont be dissapointed.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Make of this what you will 

also i voted the windforce because its awesome in really good airflow cases

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

EVGA

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I hve the ASUS one and its fine, would get the EVGA one though 

hellooooooooo

Does he intend to overclock it intensely?

Does he intend to leave it at stock?

Something in between?

In general I'm a fan of the Phantom and the DCII

No he doesn't, I am thinking the same, the Phantom has a beastly boost clock, and a really nice cooler with removable fans. Have you had any experience with them? I wouldn't know how good their warranty support is?

The EVGA ACX is solid, and will overclock to just as high as the SC. Plus there's the legendary EVGA support, and it fits the aesthetic of the 350D (If I do say so myself).

The ASUS is a close second for me, and if you're getting an ROG or one of the MSI gaming boards, it'll color match.

For the most part I've kind of been ignoring ASUS as their products, while good, are overpriced, especially for their warranty support in the UK.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Make of this what you will 

also i voted the windforce because its awesome in really good airflow cases

That ugly Windforce cooler though... ;)

No he doesn't, I am thinking the same, the Phantom has a beastly boost clock, and a really nice cooler with removable fans. Have you had any experience with them? I wouldn't know how good their warranty support is? For the most part I've kind of been ignoring ASUS as their products, while good, are overpriced, especially for their warranty support in the UK.

Can't say I've had experience with them as I don't live in the UK, so they aren't available for me.

Although I've heard good things phantom heatsink, and I quite like the design.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I'd say Gainward, because it's really silent and looks very cool

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

That ugly Windforce cooler though... ;)

Am i the only one that loves it? it shows all the cool stuff

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Hey what is your budget because the r9 290 is only $380 right now on amazon that is the gygabyte windforce version too.It costs a little more but perfoms alot better.

I prefer Asus cooling, but if I had to pick I would pick EVGA cuz of their reputation. 

Hey what is your budget because the r9 290 is only $380 right now on amazon that is the gygabyte windforce version too.It costs a little more but perfoms alot better.

In the UK it's significantly more expensive than the 770,roughly £80-£100 more.

In the UK it's significantly more expensive than the 770,roughly £80-£100 more.

Oh well that is a bummer.

For the most part I've kind of been ignoring ASUS as their products, while good, are overpriced

I don't disagree. But if it's comparable in price, they're super nice. Like my buddy just got an ASUS 770, and it was only 10 bucks more than the cheap reference PNY card.

especially for their warranty support in the UK.

Especially for their warranty support everywhere. It's garbage. Luckily, their products tend to be built pretty well. I've never had an ASUS product fail unless it was DOA (and then I just returned it, so...).

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623