What is xmp?

Billy(C4)

at 9.08 jj talks about xmp. never heard of it. 

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-421f   Intel Core i7 870  DIAMOND HD7750 GPU  

MS-7613 MOTHERBOARD  6GB RAM             600-WATT PSU

Its extreme memory profile I think, its like a profile, so it has what speeds your memory run at, the voltage etc. 

Memory overclocking capabilities. extreme memory profile hence XMP

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K @3.4 GHz || MOBO: MSI A88XM-E35 || RAM: Patriot Viper 3 4GB 1600 MHz || GPU: MSI R7770 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition || Case: Sentey Optimus Extreme Division GS-6000R || Storage: SanDisk SDSSDP-128GB | 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm || PSU: Corsair CX430 80+ Bronze || Montitor: Acer G226HQLBbd Black 21.5" 1080p || Keybarod: CM Storm Devastator Blue || Mouse: CM Storm Devastator Blue || † TTCF Member †

It is a profile built into RAM that allows you to simply activate it in your motherboard's BIOS and have the RAM settings such as voltage, speed/timings be filled in automatically according to the manufacturers specifications.

For example on my Z77 board my 1600mhz ram was detected as 1333mhz by default, I could either set it up myself or just activate the XMP profile and have it done for me.

Think of it as plugging something new in and installing the software for it, the principle is the same.

i think i get it now

It is a profile built into RAM that allows you to simply activate it in your motherboard's BIOS and have the RAM settings such as voltage, speed/timings be filled in automatically according to the manufacturers specifications.

For example on my Z77 board my 1600mhz ram was detected as 1333mhz by default, I could either set it up myself or just activate the XMP profile and have it done for me.

Think of it as plugging something new in and installing the software for it, the principle is the same.

Memory overclocking capabilities. extreme memory profile hence XMP

Its extreme memory profile I think, its like a profile, so it has what speeds your memory run at, the voltage etc. 

so if you buy 2400mhz ram http://www.futuresho...8cc91cf490den02 its only enabled by enabling xmp or else the speed (mhz) are lower? 

so if you buy 2400mhz ram http://www.futuresho...8cc91cf490den02 its only enabled by enabling xmp or else the speed (mhz) are lower?

No, when you put new RAM into a system, the system sees it but doesn't automatically know what specs it is designed to run at, so often it will just use a safe default like 1333Mhz and wait for you to update the settings.

You can either set it yourself to run at 2400mhz, put in the correct timings and check the correct voltage is being used, or you can use the XMP profile that is preinstalled on the memory to automate the process and make it easier for you.

XMP is purely to make it easier to set up your memory, it doesn't change the rated speed of your RAM.

that is correct. 

No, when you put new RAM into a system, the system sees it but doesn't automatically know what specs it is designed to run at, so often it will just use a safe default like 1333Mhz and wait for you to update the settings.

You can either set it yourself to run at 2400mhz, put in the correct timings and check the correct voltage is being used, or you can use the XMP profile that is preinstalled on the memory to automate the process and make it easier for you.

XMP is purely to make it easier to set up your memory, it doesn't change the rated speed of your RAM.

thanks for all the help guys 

No it isn't, you can enable it by inputting the speed yourself.

I know, Enabling XMP, enabling the XMP profile is the same as setting the speed yourself and the voltage. 

I know, enabling the XMP profile is the same as setting the speed yourself and the voltage.

Yeah but he said 'only' by enabling XMP and I didn't want him to get confused.

I wasn't trying to correct you for no reason, it was for OP's benefit only. :)

thanks for all the help guys

No problem man, one thing to remember for next time is to find the appropriate section of the forum to post in, you've put this in Off Topic which is for non tech related stuff.

This would normally go in the 'CPUs, Motherboards and Memory' section. :)

No problem man, one thing to remember for next time is to find the appropriate section of the forum to post in, you've put this in Off Topic which is for non tech related stuff.

This would normally go in the 'CPUs, Motherboards and Memory' section. :)

ill keep that in mind next time