How can I make sure RAM will run at 2400MHz without XMP or timing settings?

So I wanted to give my laptop (HP 15-db1203ng) a soft upgrade. Larger SSD and twice the RAM (8GB -> 16GB). It has a Ryzen 5 3500U and according to AMD the highest RAM speed it will support is 2400MHz. So just go to any shop, buy the needed amount of DDR4 2400MHz sticks, put em in, activate XMP in the bios and you're done, right?
Well, in this case not. The BIOS doesn't give me the option to activate XMP or do any timing settings whatsoever. Google told me that some HP laptops have an advanced BIOS or advanced BIOS settings but not all and well, mine doesn't. I updated the BIOS to the newest version the HP website offered in the hopes that it might give me those options, but still no. To make matters worse CPU-Z tells me that the RAM currently in the laptop could do 2666MHz but the DRAM Frequency is only 400MHz, so with double data rate that would be 800MHz which is quite honestly appaling.

So while I will definitely upgrade the RAM size, an upgrade in speed definitely also would be noticeable, but without the appropriate settings how can I ensure that RAM would run at speed X or Y?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U
Motherboard: HP 85EA
Bios: Insyde F.40 - AMD AGESA PicassoPI-FP5 1.0.0.E
I think that's all the important info, everything else can be found out with the product number (15-db1203ng) on the HP website or look into the attached CPU-Z report

LAPTOP-CPUZ.txt

37 minutes ago, Key2300 said:

So I wanted to give my laptop (HP 15-db1203ng) a soft upgrade. Larger SSD and twice the RAM (8GB -> 16GB). It has a Ryzen 5 3500U and according to AMD the highest RAM speed it will support is 2400MHz. So just go to any shop, buy the needed amount of DDR4 2400MHz sticks, put em in, activate XMP in the bios and you're done, right?
Well, in this case not. The BIOS doesn't give me the option to activate XMP or do any timing settings whatsoever. Google told me that some HP laptops have an advanced BIOS or advanced BIOS settings but not all and well, mine doesn't. I updated the BIOS to the newest version the HP website offered in the hopes that it might give me those options, but still no. To make matters worse CPU-Z tells me that the RAM currently in the laptop could do 2666MHz but the DRAM Frequency is only 400MHz, so with double data rate that would be 800MHz which is quite honestly appaling.

So while I will definitely upgrade the RAM size, an upgrade in speed definitely also would be noticeable, but without the appropriate settings how can I ensure that RAM would run at speed X or Y?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U
Motherboard: HP 85EA
Bios: Insyde F.40 - AMD AGESA PicassoPI-FP5 1.0.0.E
I think that's all the important info, everything else can be found out with the product number (15-db1203ng) on the HP website or look into the attached CPU-Z report

LAPTOP-CPUZ.txt 106.69 kB · 2 downloads

You need a set of RAM that is JDEC rated at the speed you want, that way it will not need any overclocking/ XMP profile support in the BIOS, normally if you can find the same make/ model of fitted RAM there will be JDEC options available.

1 minute ago, DigitalGoat said:

You need a set of RAM that is JDEC rated at the speed you want, that way it will not need any overclocking/ XMP profile support in the BIOS, normally if you can find the same make/ model of fitted RAM there will be JDEC options available.

When I upgraded my laptop several years ago I just bought 3200Mhz RAM, as they don't tend to tell you what JDEC rating the RAM has.  But generally newer RAM rated faster than 2400 I'd expect to have JDEC settings for 2400 and XMP be only for higher speeds.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

So I just checked and my standard pc parts shop lets you filter per JEDEC rating. But google didn't provide me with a proper rating list of JEDEC standards so I don't know what to filter for. There was one german site that had a list but it seemed incorrect.