Dell Mobo with Toshiba m.2

Go to solution Solved by IllyMilly,

Turns out I cannot run this NVME drive in Raid, and it needs to be in ACHI. 

Hello all, 

I have searched for an answer but have come to nothing. I acquired a Dell precision motherboard 3620 and some nvme drives. I attempted to place them in, and they never populate in bios nor device manager. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have searched for drivers. I am thinking they may just be incompatable. The m.2 drive is a toshiba nvme drive P/N 829095-005 model number: THNSN51T02DU7. From what I have found the mobo should support it. Can the OEM like disable the use of that or something? I'm not sure what else I could do at this point. I have 2 SSD'd running on the system now, a i7-6700, and a 3060, and 32GB of DDR4 ram. Not sure if any of that matters. I also found some HP nvme thing that slots into a PCIE slot (like the graphics card) which also didnt work,  Thanks 🙂 

I could be mistaken, but m.2 is not the same as NVME. that may be a sata M.2 slot, but i dont know for sure that is your situation, nor do i know enough else to figure it out. Maybe someone else can chime in with the other half of the information lol

See thats what I was thinking but my google search showed nvme is fowards and backwards compatable I dunno

I googled the motherboard "Dell Precision Motherboard 3620" and the picture I have here is what I got in return.  This was taken from the website:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/precision-t3620-workstation/prec_t3620_om_pub/system-board-components?guid=guid-d9eaa4a4-9cbc-445f-9845-75d8f7c620e8&lang=en-us

1. PCI express x16 slot (wired as x4)
  2. PCI express x4 slot
  3. PCI slot
  4. PCI express x16 Gen 3 slot
  5. line-in connector
  6. USB 3.0 connector
  7. HDMI connector
  8. serial port connector
  9. 2 x DisplayPort connector
  10. USB 2.0 with network connector
  11. keyboard/mouse connector
  12. intrusion switch connector
  13. P2 power connector
  14. system fan connector
  15. CPU socket
  16. CPU fan connector
  17. coin cell battery
  18. memory slot
  19. front power switch connector
  20. 8-pin power connector
  21. SATA 1 connector
  22. SATA 2 connector
  23. internal USB connector
  24. hard drive and optical drive power cable connector
  25. OS debug header for debug
  26. USB 3.0 connector
  27. Thunderbolt header
  28. M.2 SSD slot
  29. SATA 0 connector
  30. front I/O connector
  31. SATA 3 connector
  32. password reset jumper
  33. service Mode jumper connector
  34. speaker connector
  35. CMCLR jumper
  36. CLINK header
  37. LPC Debug header for debug

Unfortunately, this picture does NOT show any M.2 or NVME slots.  Are you sure this is the board that you have or do I have the wrong board?

System board components

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I googled the motherboard "Dell Precision Motherboard 3620" and the picture I have here is what I got in return.  This was taken from the website:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/precision-t3620-workstation/prec_t3620_om_pub/system-board-components?guid=guid-d9eaa4a4-9cbc-445f-9845-75d8f7c620e8&lang=en-us

1. PCI express x16 slot (wired as x4)
  2. PCI express x4 slot
  3. PCI slot
  4. PCI express x16 Gen 3 slot
  5. line-in connector
  6. USB 3.0 connector
  7. HDMI connector
  8. serial port connector
  9. 2 x DisplayPort connector
  10. USB 2.0 with network connector
  11. keyboard/mouse connector
  12. intrusion switch connector
  13. P2 power connector
  14. system fan connector
  15. CPU socket
  16. CPU fan connector
  17. coin cell battery
  18. memory slot
  19. front power switch connector
  20. 8-pin power connector
  21. SATA 1 connector
  22. SATA 2 connector
  23. internal USB connector
  24. hard drive and optical drive power cable connector
  25. OS debug header for debug
  26. USB 3.0 connector
  27. Thunderbolt header
  28. M.2 SSD slot
  29. SATA 0 connector
  30. front I/O connector
  31. SATA 3 connector
  32. password reset jumper
  33. service Mode jumper connector
  34. speaker connector
  35. CMCLR jumper
  36. CLINK header
  37. LPC Debug header for debug

Unfortunately, this picture does NOT show any M.2 or NVME slots.  Are you sure this is the board that you have or do I have the wrong board?

System board components

#28 lol

Looks like this board does support NVMe. Took a while to finding something remotely definitive. 

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-ca/precision-t3620-workstation/prec_t3620_om_pub/installing-the-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd?guid=guid-6bc978f2-26e3-4c88-afed-dd692d3c83ca&lang=en-us

SATA M.2 SSDs are usually M+B keyed so that's another clue. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, IllyMilly said:

#28 lol

Sorry, blind in one eye and can't see out the other.....   DUH>>>>>>>>

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So I place it in, screw it down, does it need to click or something? I dont want to force it. 

Just now, kb5zue said:

Lol I have been staring at that sheet for awhile trying to figure this problem out 

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

No, M. 2 and NVMe aren't the same, but they work in conjunction with each other. M. 2 is the SSD form factor, while NVMe is the interface that connects it to the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Looks like this board does support NVMe. Took a while to finding something remotely definitive. 

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-ca/precision-t3620-workstation/prec_t3620_om_pub/installing-the-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd?guid=guid-6bc978f2-26e3-4c88-afed-dd692d3c83ca&lang=en-us

SATA M.2 SSDs are usually M+B keyed so that's another clue. 

Also, I am almost certain they are both M keyed, they both have 1 indent like 4 lanes from the left. 

"I acquired a Dell precision motherboard 3620 and some nvme drives."

Since you were able pick up the motherboard along with some NVME drives maybe you were able to get them cheap or whatever because the previous owner could not get the drives to work either.  Since the drives you got were NVME drives, they will not work on that particular motherboard.  That doesn't mean they won't work in some other board, they just won't work in that one.

So, you need to figure out if it is time to get another board or is it time to get an M.2 drive.  Only you can answer that.  Another option though is to get a PCI-e card that supports NVME and plug the card into that motherboard but you will still need to find yourself an M.2 drive to use as your boot drive.

Take care and Good Luck.

Downloaded and looked over the motherboard manual.  The motherboard manual says, "M.2 SSD    Gen3x4 slot.  Don't know if that helps solve the question but better knowing than not knowing I guess.

Fun little update, in my bios it showed something in that slot, only 3gb with no name, yet nothing in drive manager

Turns out I cannot run this NVME drive in Raid, and it needs to be in ACHI.