Is it safe to go with a reference Rx 7900xt?

Floresdorf

I am about to build a PC with a Corsair 4000D Airflow and a Deepcool lt720 front-mounted AIO.

In that build I'm also gonna be putting this card in, since there's not enough clearance for bigger ones:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jhstt6/powercolor-rx-7900-xt-20g-radeon-rx-7900-xt-20-gb-video-card-rx-7900-xt-20g

Problem is, someone told me that these reference cards might have problems, and I'm buying one second-hand.

But from what I have seen in PCPartPicker, many people use this exact model and have no problems with it.

So, is it safe to go with a reference Rx 7900xt?

My laptop (HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2)

Core i7-7600U (vPro) (2C; 4T), Intel HD Graphics 620, 16GB (2x8) 2133 MT/s DDR4 RAM, 512GB SATA SSD, 1080p 120hz IPS 13.3" touch Display, Windows 11 Pro (upgraded from Windows 10 Pro via registry hack)

Translation: it's trash

3 minutes ago, Floresdorf said:

Problem is, someone told me that these reference cards might have problems, and I'm buying one second-hand.

Yeah then id keep an eye out heavily. The reference GPU problems are largely launch issue where the cooler pressure sits insanely uneven. This is fixed on the RMA version but of course much like recalls in general, people are sometimes lazy and dormant bad batch would still be out there.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Reference XTX card had problems with their coolers, I am not sure if its applicable to XT cards.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 minutes ago, Floresdorf said:

I am about to build a PC with a Corsair 4000D Airflow and a Deepcool lt720 front-mounted AIO.

In that build I'm also gonna be putting this card in, since there's not enough clearance for bigger ones:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jhstt6/powercolor-rx-7900-xt-20g-radeon-rx-7900-xt-20-gb-video-card-rx-7900-xt-20g

But from what I have seen in PCPartPicker, many people use this exact model and have no problems with it.

AFAIK there was no issues on 7900xt only MBA 7900xtx, and not AIB models anyway 

I'm surprised you cannot fit a 7900xtx in a Corsair 4000, specs say 360mm clearance anything will fit if you just put rad on the side, this will also give you better airflow and CPU temps 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, Floresdorf said:

Did you buy the Corsair case yet?   I like it and Corsair cases in general but they are very small - the 4000D is a small case.   I considered it but when I saw it in person, I worried about fitting parts in it.   So, I picked a different case.

The AMD partner cards aka AIB - are getting a bit cheaper and some should be around the same price as the reference/MBA cards - aren't they, in your local market?  

8 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Did you buy the Corsair case yet?   I like it and Corsair cases in general but they are very small - the 4000D is a small case.   I considered it but when I saw it in person, I worried about fitting parts in it.   So, I picked a different case.

The AMD partner cards aka AIB - are getting a bit cheaper and some should be around the same price as the reference/MBA cards - aren't they, in your local market?  

Well, other cases in that price range are not as good here.

I looked at other Rx 7900XTs from powercolor, and this is the only one that fits. Also from other brands.

Actually now that I have read a bit more about it, that card does come in a normal powercolor box, is it really a reference card? @PDifolco @SorryClaire @Levent @Paul17

Core i7-7600U (vPro) (2C; 4T), Intel HD Graphics 620, 16GB (2x8) 2133 MT/s DDR4 RAM, 512GB SATA SSD, 1080p 120hz IPS 13.3" touch Display, Windows 11 Pro (upgraded from Windows 10 Pro via registry hack)

1 minute ago, Floresdorf said:

Well, other cases in that price range are not as good here.

I looked at other Rx 7900XTs from powercolor, and this is the only one that fits. Also from other brands.

Actually now that I have read a bit more about it, that card does come in a normal powercolor box, is it really a reference card?

Where is 'here?'   The 4000D Airflow is a good case - you just have to be careful what you get to fit in it - that is, for e.g., if you want an AIO cooler (360 AIO; a 420 sure won't fit) and long video cards  - there could be some restrictions.   Phanteks has a G500A which is pretty good and the Lian Li Lancool III is also a good case - what is the prices of those there - if they're available?   They'll be a bit more $$ but they have lots of room for long video cards.   The reference cards are much shorter than the AIB.   Techpowerup has the length of all the cards in their gpu database.    

57 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Where is 'here?'   The 4000D Airflow is a good case - you just have to be careful what you get to fit in it - that is, for e.g., if you want an AIO cooler (360 AIO; a 420 sure won't fit) and long video cards  - there could be some restrictions.   Phanteks has a G500A which is pretty good and the Lian Li Lancool III is also a good case - what is the prices of those there - if they're available?   They'll be a bit more $$ but they have lots of room for long video cards.   The reference cards are much shorter than the AIB.   Techpowerup has the length of all the cards in their gpu database.   

Both cases are more expensive here. The Phanteks is 14500 rubles (170$) and the lian LI is 18500 (220$)

Here: Russia

I need a case with very good airflow, that's why I chose the 4000d airflow. (I still haven't bought it)

But now I see that the Corsair has been out of stock for one month already, I might need to start looking for another one.

That powercolor normal one is 276mm wide, and the powercolor hellhound is 328 I think. Both are relatively the same price, but the hellhound is factory oc'd.

Is the nxzt h5 flow a good case? It's approx. 180$.

3 hours ago, Floresdorf said:

Both cases are more expensive here. The Phanteks is 14500 rubles (170$) and the lian LI is 18500 (220$)

Here: Russia

I need a case with very good airflow, that's why I chose the 4000d airflow. (I still haven't bought it)

But now I see that the Corsair has been out of stock for one month already, I might need to start looking for another one.

That powercolor normal one is 276mm wide, and the powercolor hellhound is 328 I think. Both are relatively the same price, but the hellhound is factory oc'd.

Is the nxzt h5 flow a good case? It's approx. 180$.

I'd choose the Phanteks case, then - over the nxzt h5 flow - if it's $10 cheaper.   The h5 flow appears to be a smaller case - look at the max./limits of gpu and cpu coolers (air).   I suspect there's more limitations for AIOs too.  

You can compare them here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/phanteks-eclipse-g500a-performance/7.html

They tested the nxzt h5, also, so it's part of the benchmarks as well.   

8 hours ago, Paul17 said:

I'd choose the Phanteks case, then - over the nxzt h5 flow - if it's $10 cheaper.   The h5 flow appears to be a smaller case - look at the max./limits of gpu and cpu coolers (air).   I suspect there's more limitations for AIOs too.  

You can compare them here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/phanteks-eclipse-g500a-performance/7.html

They tested the nxzt h5, also, so it's part of the benchmarks as well.   

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Floresdorf/saved/#view=mdjvRB

I think this will fit a non-reference card.

4 hours ago, Floresdorf said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Floresdorf/saved/#view=mdjvRB

I think this will fit a non-reference card.

For sure.   Are you buying from Russian online vendors or local?    I dunno about MSI power supplies but I'd compare to Corsair and Seasonic (prices) before buying one. 🙂

Also, that nvme SSD is good but some comparable ones that are as good or better include WD 850x, Crucial P5 Plus (almost as good but usually much cheaper) and the Kingston KC3000 (I bought one of those).   The prices of those 3 might be less than the Samsung - but, I dunno what the choices are there.   

9 hours ago, Paul17 said:

For sure.   Are you buying from Russian online vendors or local?    I dunno about MSI power supplies but I'd compare to Corsair and Seasonic (prices) before buying one. 🙂

Also, that nvme SSD is good but some comparable ones that are as good or better include WD 850x, Crucial P5 Plus (almost as good but usually much cheaper) and the Kingston KC3000 (I bought one of those).   The prices of those 3 might be less than the Samsung - but, I dunno what the choices are there.   

I’m buying off Avito (eBay) and dns shop (microcenter)

From DNS I’ll be buying the water cooler and the psu, and some shops sell brand new goods and have their stores in avito.

That Samsung is the best price to performance here. But I did find some unused WD Black SN850Xs here for the same price.

And for that psu, I chose it because it’s atx 3.0 and pcie gen 5, but also because many people recommended it instead of the Corsair rm1000x I wanted prior to that.

But I must say, prices are are approx. 20% more than the USA.

The Reference RX 7900-XT is MOSTLY safe, but not completely.

After the recall of RX 7900-XTX reference cards for overheating, you just cannot have 100% faith in them as both the XT and XTX use the same reference cooler.

And even though it will most likely be fine, AMD 7900-Series Reference coolers are still not recommended. They just didn't do a good job with the reference card and as a result they run hotter and louder than even basic AIB cards that often go for LESS money than the reference model.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

your life wont be threatened by purchasing a 7900xt, i can assure.

But if its getting hot or not i cant guarantee. Since it was a false analysis that it was the coolers fault with 7900xtx MBA cards, because it also happened on AiB cards and even watercooled cards. Lately tech failure analysis isnt at its best, there is more than likely a flawed card design or bad QC in additon to whatever techtuber x/y stated to be the root cause of these temperature issues.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 hour ago, WallacEngineering said:

The Reference RX 7900-XT is MOSTLY safe, but not completely.

After the recall of RX 7900-XTX reference cards for overheating, you just cannot have 100% faith in them as both the XT and XTX use the same reference cooler.

And even though it will most likely be fine, AMD 7900-Series Reference coolers are still not recommended. They just didn't do a good job with the reference card and as a result they run hotter and louder than even basic AIB cards that often go for LESS money than the reference model.

I agree with this - but, he's looking at a bigger case now that should fit more cards - at least, the Pulse, which  is probably the shortest AIB XT/XTX card?

As for price $$, yeah, he should be able to find a cheaper AIB model (cheaper than MBA/reference) even with the vendors he's going with?  

2 hours ago, Floresdorf said:

I’m buying off Avito (eBay) and dns shop (microcenter)

From DNS I’ll be buying the water cooler and the psu, and some shops sell brand new goods and have their stores in avito.

That Samsung is the best price to performance here. But I did find some unused WD Black SN850Xs here for the same price.

And for that psu, I chose it because it’s atx 3.0 and pcie gen 5, but also because many people recommended it instead of the Corsair rm1000x I wanted prior to that.

But I must say, prices are are approx. 20% more than the USA.

Okay.   You could compare the reviews/info on the Samsung and SN850X ssds - the Samsung name is both good and bad for ssds - they are among the best but the WD Black is a pretty good one.

I don't know much about that psu - I like Corsair ones - but, it has good reviews so.....but beware the stiff cables - check reviews on newegg, as that seems to be an issue for a lot of owners.   

25 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Okay.   You could compare the reviews/info on the Samsung and SN850X ssds - the Samsung name is both good and bad for ssds - they are among the best but the WD Black is a pretty good one.

I don't know much about that psu - I like Corsair ones - but, it has good reviews so.....but beware the stiff cables - check reviews on newegg, as that seems to be an issue for a lot of owners.   

I looked at reviews and the WD smashes the Samsung in every aspect.

I know about the stiff cables, but I can’t know if they’ll be a problem until I build my PC. If they do, I can simply return the product. But I don’t think they will.

I decided to go with a XFX Merc 310 rx 7900xt, since people say it stays quite cool. If not, than I would get a Powercolor Hellhound rx 7900xt.