P300A not compatible with MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk Wifi

ka_re_t
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
1 hour ago, ka_re_t said:

do not buy this part combination! 

Would a 90 degrees adapter not solve the USB issue?

This a random example from Amazon.

As for the heatsink, you can always leave install the brackets, leave the heatsink off until everything else is in.  I very rarely install heatsinks on the motherboard before installation. As you found out it can make things more difficult. 

Pick your poison though, smaller cases have pros and cons, just like every assembly method has pros and cons.

I can provide pics if needed... but basically the holes for cables on the case completely block the front panel USB 3.0 cable from attaching to the motherboard.  There's a hole near the front fan mounts that almost works for this, but I would have to seriously bend (and possibly damage) the USB cable to make it fit.  The strain relief on the cable is the main source of the obstruction.

I've already had so much fun maneuvering around my NH-D15S trying to plug and screw things in 😞 

1 hour ago, ka_re_t said:

As for the heatsink, you can always leave install the brackets, leave the heatsink off until everything else is in.  I very rarely install heatsinks on the motherboard before installation. As you found out it can make things more difficult. 

Pick your poison though, smaller cases have pros and cons, just like every assembly method has pros and cons.

12 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Oh… that’s a good idea.  Didn’t know such a thing exists.  I accidentally bent the pins when I tried to put it in the first time, so I guess if I can straighten them then an adapter will work.  Thank you so much!

IMG_2745.jpeg

(Photo was taken before I straightened the pins just enough to avoid a short 😅)

Update: I was able to bend the pins back into a working position.  I used the "down 90 degree" adapter after fixing the pins and now everything is fine.

To fix the pins, someone suggested I use one of those thin coffee straws.  That was somewhat helpful, but it wasn't very strong.  I also found the TORX T5H screwdriver tip from my Xiaomi Wiha set to be helpful, as well as a flat headed tip.  I'm sure that's higher risk for breaking something so definitely be careful if anyone copies me.  The straw and flat head got pins into roughly the right spot, and the torx tip made them perfect.