Best way to benchmark?

otacon19

What is the best way to get the most accurate results for benchmarking? 聽Full fan speed? Close certain programs? Open case? Etc. 聽Is they a right way to do it? I鈥檓 using 3D mark.聽

thanks 馃檪

Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers. Most people will agree to close background tasks, but other than that it just depends on what you're going for. If you are trying to get as high score as you possibly can, crank the fan speed, open the side panel (if you're not just on an open test bench) and overclock it to your heart's content. If you're just trying to compare your new system to your old one, I'd want to do it more as you'd actually use it, so use the same fan curves as you normally would, with the case door in its usual location when gaming (either on or off the case), and with all the software you'd keep open in the background still open. That's just me though, it's entirely personal preference.聽

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers. Most people will agree to close background tasks, but other than that it just depends on what you're going for. If you are trying to get as high score as you possibly can, crank the fan speed, open the side panel (if you're not just on an open test bench) and overclock it to your heart's content. If you're just trying to compare your new system to your old one, I'd want to do it more as you'd actually use it, so use the same fan curves as you normally would, with the case door in its usual location when gaming (either on or off the case), and with all the software you'd keep open in the background still open. That's just me though, it's entirely personal preference.聽

Sorry I forgot add what I鈥檓 benchmarking. I鈥檓 聽trying to stress test my water cooling loop.

5 minutes ago, otacon19 said:

Sorry I forgot add what I鈥檓 benchmarking. I鈥檓 聽trying to stress test my water cooling loop.

What does this even mean? Are you looking to find your max temps? Are you looking to build pressure to look for leaks?聽

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones.聽

11 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

What does this even mean? Are you looking to find your max temps? Are you looking to build pressure to look for leaks?聽

I'm just trying to see how well it cools. I'm trying to find max temps but I want to know what's the best and most accurate way to do it.

4 hours ago, otacon19 said:

I'm just trying to see how well it cools. I'm trying to find max temps but I want to know what's the best and most accurate way to do it.

as @RONOTHAN##聽says, there would be many ways to skin the cat here. Just straight full burn or something that is more representative of a full burn in the real world? For the former my method would be 6-8 instances of P95 with MSI Kombustor for the GPU. But for something more realistic you can go with Aida64 for the CPU and Unigine Superposition for the GPU.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.