Constant audio stuttering - possibly AMD chipset issue? I'm lost

REVERSEDSKIES

Hiya o/

So I just wanna say this right off the bat. I'm not really interested in answers that tell me to replace internal components unless absolutely necessary (not that I think this will be necessary, but no nonesense replacing components). And I'm looking for, hopefully, detailed answers about what the problem might be and any steps to get the necessary info.

So allow me to explain.

For a while now I've got a different USB audio interface, an M-Audio Air 192/14. It is currently connected using a USB-C to USB-C cable that is 3 meters long. Basically since the beginning I've had audio stutters with the damn thing and I have not been able to figure out anything. The crazy thing is that thse audio stutters happen system wide no matter what I'm doing. Simoply listening to Spotify and opening a Windows Explorer window can make the audio stutter, or switching tabs in my browser or scrolling through YouTube. Literally anything can make it stutter and sometimes it'll stutter when I'm not actively doing anything and something happens in the background (whatever might be happening in the background). This is what confuses me most because there's no way to isolate it to a certain piece of software or certain action.

I have tried talking to M-Audio but they just don't respond to any support tickets. Only to live chat where they can't help you and want you to create a support ticket, which they don't answer so that's pointless. This is also my second unit since after a chat with M-Audio at some point they said it was probably the unit itself. So I got a new one but it had the exact same issues right away. I have contacted Asus about this too but since this is beyond the scope of their usual testing they also can't provide any help. I have not contacted AMD but I don't know if I even can. I did someday find something that audio stutters on some chipset/audio interface combinations might be down to another USB device using a different polling rate than the usual 125 of windows. I can't find this anymore but I don't know how real this is. My previous audio interface, a Behringer UMC404HD, did not have any issues like this at all. None actually in terms of audio playback. I just replaced it because it was very much dying.

Here's a list of all the USB devices connected to my PC.

TP-Link Bluetooth 5.0 dongle for my wireless keyboard

Trust GXT 155 mouse running at 500Hz polling rate

M-Audio Air 192/14

Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals

Thrustmaster TH8A shifter

Thrustmaster T300RS GT

Alesis Q61 Midi keyboard

Behringer Crave (synthesizer)

HP Reverb G2

Random cable for charging my keyboard whenever I have to

USB hub for connecting USB devices that just use power

I have had most of these devices before getting this audio interface. I got the wheel setup and the VR headset later, but as mentioned earlier my previous audio interface didn't have any issue sat all. This new one started having them right away.

I do not have a second PC to test any of this on and my laptop died a little over a month ago so don't have that anymore either.

I have heard things about there being some issues with USB devvices on AMDs B550 chipsets but I haven't been able to find anything concrete that could explain my issues.

I know this quite a bit of work to figure out, hence why I asked for no nonesense answers. I'm actually looking to figure out what's going on and hopefully fix it. If there is any info necessary from event viewer or soemthing else then just let me know and I'll do my best to provide what's needed. Since I don't know where to start at all I can't really give anything right now because I'll probably give useless info.

I will say that I have thought bout getting a PCI-e USB card with a dedicated controller to plug my audio interface into to isolate the device and hopefully make the stuttering go away but I have not gotten around to this yet, nor do I know if it will actually work at all.

One thing that seems (emphasis on seems) to work is opening my mouse software, then spamming the different polling rates. Then try scrolling through YouTube and see if it stutters again. Usually after doing this a few tiems the stuttering mostly stops and gets mostly unnoticeable as long as my system stays active. If I lock it for example and leave it for a few hours there's a chance the stuttering comes back. When playing games however I generally don't get the stuttering. Sometimes they do appear but most of the time I can just play a game without any issues. Almopst as if the device asks for more resources than the CPU gives at low use? Just throwing that out there because I have no clue.

Obviously I don't want my CPU running at 100% all the time for several reasons. I don't want my CPU dying prematurely but I also very much need to keep my power usage in check. Europe am I right.

Other than that I can't really think of anything.

So if anyone has any knowledge on something like this and is willing to help me I'd be very grateful. Again, ask away for any info necesary and I'll do my best to provide.

As last, here are my PC specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz CL18 Corsair Vengence LPX (running at those speeds with infinity fabric set to 1800MHz)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Rev2

SSD 1: Kingston NV2 500GB M.2 @ PCI-e 3.0

SSD 2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 @ PCI-e 4.0

SSD 3: Kingston A400 480GB S-ATA

HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

HDD 2: Seagate 1TB 

Running Windows 10 Home version 22H2 OS build 19045.2965

55 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Hiya o/

So I just wanna say this right off the bat. I'm not really interested in answers that tell me to replace internal components unless absolutely necessary (not that I think this will be necessary, but no nonesense replacing components). And I'm looking for, hopefully, detailed answers about what the problem might be and any steps to get the necessary info.

So allow me to explain.

For a while now I've got a different USB audio interface, an M-Audio Air 192/14. It is currently connected using a USB-C to USB-C cable that is 3 meters long. Basically since the beginning I've had audio stutters with the damn thing and I have not been able to figure out anything. The crazy thing is that thse audio stutters happen system wide no matter what I'm doing. Simoply listening to Spotify and opening a Windows Explorer window can make the audio stutter, or switching tabs in my browser or scrolling through YouTube. Literally anything can make it stutter and sometimes it'll stutter when I'm not actively doing anything and something happens in the background (whatever might be happening in the background). This is what confuses me most because there's no way to isolate it to a certain piece of software or certain action.

I have tried talking to M-Audio but they just don't respond to any support tickets. Only to live chat where they can't help you and want you to create a support ticket, which they don't answer so that's pointless. This is also my second unit since after a chat with M-Audio at some point they said it was probably the unit itself. So I got a new one but it had the exact same issues right away. I have contacted Asus about this too but since this is beyond the scope of their usual testing they also can't provide any help. I have not contacted AMD but I don't know if I even can. I did someday find something that audio stutters on some chipset/audio interface combinations might be down to another USB device using a different polling rate than the usual 125 of windows. I can't find this anymore but I don't know how real this is. My previous audio interface, a Behringer UMC404HD, did not have any issues like this at all. None actually in terms of audio playback. I just replaced it because it was very much dying.

Here's a list of all the USB devices connected to my PC.

TP-Link Bluetooth 5.0 dongle for my wireless keyboard

Trust GXT 155 mouse running at 500Hz polling rate

M-Audio Air 192/14

Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals

Thrustmaster TH8A shifter

Thrustmaster T300RS GT

Alesis Q61 Midi keyboard

Behringer Crave (synthesizer)

HP Reverb G2

Random cable for charging my keyboard whenever I have to

USB hub for connecting USB devices that just use power

I have had most of these devices before getting this audio interface. I got the wheel setup and the VR headset later, but as mentioned earlier my previous audio interface didn't have any issue sat all. This new one started having them right away.

I do not have a second PC to test any of this on and my laptop died a little over a month ago so don't have that anymore either.

I have heard things about there being some issues with USB devvices on AMDs B550 chipsets but I haven't been able to find anything concrete that could explain my issues.

I know this quite a bit of work to figure out, hence why I asked for no nonesense answers. I'm actually looking to figure out what's going on and hopefully fix it. If there is any info necessary from event viewer or soemthing else then just let me know and I'll do my best to provide what's needed. Since I don't know where to start at all I can't really give anything right now because I'll probably give useless info.

I will say that I have thought bout getting a PCI-e USB card with a dedicated controller to plug my audio interface into to isolate the device and hopefully make the stuttering go away but I have not gotten around to this yet, nor do I know if it will actually work at all.

One thing that seems (emphasis on seems) to work is opening my mouse software, then spamming the different polling rates. Then try scrolling through YouTube and see if it stutters again. Usually after doing this a few tiems the stuttering mostly stops and gets mostly unnoticeable as long as my system stays active. If I lock it for example and leave it for a few hours there's a chance the stuttering comes back. When playing games however I generally don't get the stuttering. Sometimes they do appear but most of the time I can just play a game without any issues. Almopst as if the device asks for more resources than the CPU gives at low use? Just throwing that out there because I have no clue.

Obviously I don't want my CPU running at 100% all the time for several reasons. I don't want my CPU dying prematurely but I also very much need to keep my power usage in check. Europe am I right.

Other than that I can't really think of anything.

So if anyone has any knowledge on something like this and is willing to help me I'd be very grateful. Again, ask away for any info necesary and I'll do my best to provide.

As last, here are my PC specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz CL18 Corsair Vengence LPX (running at those speeds with infinity fabric set to 1800MHz)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Rev2

SSD 1: Kingston NV2 500GB M.2 @ PCI-e 3.0

SSD 2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 @ PCI-e 4.0

SSD 3: Kingston A400 480GB S-ATA

HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

HDD 2: Seagate 1TB 

Running Windows 10 Home version 22H2 OS build 19045.2965

Updating bios and checking the audio drivers could be somewhere to start.

55 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

So allow me to explain.

I had almost the exact same issue on my B350-F Strix.

Make sure you only use the chipset drivers and audio drivers from the Asus downloads page for that motherboard. For whatever reason, updating the chipset driver with newer ones from AMD would cause that stuttering for me. Also make sure your GPU drive is also up to date (that was another part of it for me).

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

As others have already mentioned try making sure those drivers are up to date. You can also try disabling the onboard audio solution, and this part might sound really dumb but make sure your power settings are set to high performance. You can also check your Power Options>Advanced Settings>USB settings>USB Selective suspend settings>Disabled <make sure that's disabled.

Do you see any errors pertaining to your audio pop up in the event viewer at all? If there are none then it really would be pointless to look around there anyway. Do you happen to be running anything like virtualbox on the system? Do you get any feedback when turning any of the knobs on the M-Audio Air? I've seen hyperthreading cause strange audio issues with various external usb audio devices before as well, you can try turning off AMD's equivalent to hyperthreading but that really isn't a acceptable long term solution here....

One last thing, check your windows sound options control panel, check to see what properties are selected there IE: 24bit 192khz. Then open the M-Audio control panel and make sure those are set to the exact same bitrate.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

17 hours ago, FireLegend said:

Updating bios and checking the audio drivers could be somewhere to start.

BIOS is already fully up to date and so are the audio drivers. Onboard audio on the motherboard is disabled

17 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

I had almost the exact same issue on my B350-F Strix.

Make sure you only use the chipset drivers and audio drivers from the Asus downloads page for that motherboard. For whatever reason, updating the chipset driver with newer ones from AMD would cause that stuttering for me. Also make sure your GPU drive is also up to date (that was another part of it for me).

I will have to look at those chipset drivers. I believe I did download them from the Asus website but it's been a little bit. As for the audio driver from Asus, as mentioned my onboard audio is already disabled in the BIOS. My GPU drivers are up to date but they've never seen to cause any issues.

17 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

As others have already mentioned try making sure those drivers are up to date. You can also try disabling the onboard audio solution, and this part might sound really dumb but make sure your power settings are set to high performance. You can also check your Power Options>Advanced Settings>USB settings>USB Selective suspend settings>Disabled <make sure that's disabled.

Do you see any errors pertaining to your audio pop up in the event viewer at all? If there are none then it really would be pointless to look around there anyway. Do you happen to be running anything like virtualbox on the system? Do you get any feedback when turning any of the knobs on the M-Audio Air? I've seen hyperthreading cause strange audio issues with various external usb audio devices before as well, you can try turning off AMD's equivalent to hyperthreading but that really isn't a acceptable long term solution here....

One last thing, check your windows sound options control panel, check to see what properties are selected there IE: 24bit 192khz. Then open the M-Audio control panel and make sure those are set to the exact same bitrate.

My power settings are on high performance and I did already disable the USB selective susped. As for any errors in event viewer, I don't know where to look in event viewer for these errors. I have taken a bit of a gander but I can't realy see any errors, only some warnings where some are something with the Ehternet controller but they don't pop up enough to match the audio stutters, and there's something about something expiring that also doesn't match the frequency of the stutters either.
I am not running virtualbox or any virtual machine software or hyper-v or whatever, no feedback when turning the knobs at all either. I can try disabling hyperthreading but as you said that's not really a long term solution, but I'll have to see if it fixes anything.

As for the audio settings, I can't change the bit depth in the M-Audio control panel. For whatever reason they don't deem that necessary. I also can't change this in Windows because it always defaults to 32 bit. I've got the bitrate set to 48000Hz but all inp[inputs and outputs in the Windows audio control panel are set to 32 bit 48000Hz. Again, can't change that to 24 bit because the momebnt I change a second input or output it resets the previous one to 32 bit. Also after a restart.

I will say one thing I already mentioned in my initial post, this wasn't happening with my previous audio interface but only with this one. No other USB audio devices have ever caused this issue for me. So it still seems odd to me.

49 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

My power settings are on high performance and I did already disable the USB selective susped. As for any errors in event viewer, I don't know where to look in event viewer for these errors. I have taken a bit of a gander but I can't realy see any errors, only some warnings where some are something with the Ehternet controller but they don't pop up enough to match the audio stutters, and there's something about something expiring that also doesn't match the frequency of the stutters either.
I am not running virtualbox or any virtual machine software or hyper-v or whatever, no feedback when turning the knobs at all either. I can try disabling hyperthreading but as you said that's not really a long term solution, but I'll have to see if it fixes anything.

As for the audio settings, I can't change the bit depth in the M-Audio control panel. For whatever reason they don't deem that necessary. I also can't change this in Windows because it always defaults to 32 bit. I've got the bitrate set to 48000Hz but all inp[inputs and outputs in the Windows audio control panel are set to 32 bit 48000Hz. Again, can't change that to 24 bit because the momebnt I change a second input or output it resets the previous one to 32 bit. Also after a restart.

I will say one thing I already mentioned in my initial post, this wasn't happening with my previous audio interface but only with this one. No other USB audio devices have ever caused this issue for me. So it still seems odd to me.

I gotta say this might just be the strangest compatibility issue I've seen if it's just this device that's causing problems. 

By chance in the sound settings is the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" box checked or unchecked? Not being able to change it to 24 bit is a strange problem, after some googling it seems others have had the same issue with other M-audio devices(funny they also mentioned customer support being worthless). 

image.png.d729718007ee808d1c6cf146a29ef5bf.png

Also found this thread, not exactly the same problem you have the stuttering audio he's getting is in davinci resolve. Is the stutter your getting similar to the stuttering in his video? https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=145911

Seems like he resolved the issue, could disable line input and all other audio devices hooked up to your system to see if that makes a difference. 

I remember 2 years ago the 500 series boards had usb issues because of a AGESA bios mishap, though they resolved that already. Might be a stretch but it wouldn't hurt to try different usb ports on your board. I couldn't find info no the separation of usb controllers on your motherboard so you might have to try out most of the ports. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

8 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

I gotta say this might just be the strangest compatibility issue I've seen if it's just this device that's causing problems. 

By chance in the sound settings is the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" box checked or unchecked? Not being able to change it to 24 bit is a strange problem, after some googling it seems others have had the same issue with other M-audio devices(funny they also mentioned customer support being worthless). 

image.png.d729718007ee808d1c6cf146a29ef5bf.png

Also found this thread, not exactly the same problem you have the stuttering audio he's getting is in davinci resolve. Is the stutter your getting similar to the stuttering in his video? https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=145911

Seems like he resolved the issue, could disable line input and all other audio devices hooked up to your system to see if that makes a difference. 

I remember 2 years ago the 500 series boards had usb issues because of a AGESA bios mishap, though they resolved that already. Might be a stretch but it wouldn't hurt to try different usb ports on your board. I couldn't find info no the separation of usb controllers on your motherboard so you might have to try out most of the ports. 

That box is unckecked. I've had issues sometimes where programs that generalyl shouldn't capture your audio device, did. So I made a habit of turning that off, but on or off doesn't make a difference. I did try it on my laptop when I got it back in february (when my poor laptop still lived rip) and it had the same issue where I couldn't change the bit depth.

And no my stutters aren't the same as that video. My audio plays but with any action the audio stutters just for a tiny bit. Like switching to another browser tab just kinda cuts the audio for at most like a tenth of a second and it resumes normally until I (or my system) do something again. If I just watch YouTube it's generally fine until I move my mouse. I already have all other inputs and outputs disabled so they shouldn't be able to mess with anything either.

I did also read something about USB problems about 2 years ago but I didn't find anything about that being fixed. As for different USB ports, I should have mentioned that in my initial post. I did already try that. According to Asus, all USB 3.0 ports on the back go directly to the CPU and literally everything else goes through the chipset. I have already tried switching USB ports but that doesn't make a difference. shorter cable also doesn't make a difference.

Could be a latency issue, ASIO settings? I'm at my wits end here trying to figure out what the problem could be. 

Found a reddit post with audio stuttering on the same device: 

First poster seems to have fixed his problem by setting the windows sound settings for the air to the default settings, then matching the same settings in the M-Audio control panel. Bitrate change to 496 for another user also helped along with the same changes.

Saw some posts claiming disabling HPET in windows helps with lowering DPC latency, might help but again I'd be surprised if that was the solution. 

There are extremely rare cases where network drivers/hardware end up causing audio stuttering, and the solution was disabling wifi/ethernet... but that's definitely not a acceptable fix....

For clarification when you did try the M-Audio air on your laptop when it was still alive, there was no audio stuttering right? What are the chances it's just defective? If it's not this might just be a very niche unfortunate hardware compatibility problem between your PC config and the device. 

13 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

Could be a latency issue, ASIO settings? I'm at my wits end here trying to figure out what the problem could be. 

Found a reddit post with audio stuttering on the same device: 

First poster seems to have fixed his problem by setting the windows sound settings for the air to the default settings, then matching the same settings in the M-Audio control panel. Bitrate change to 496 for another user also helped along with the same changes.

Saw some posts claiming disabling HPET in windows helps with lowering DPC latency, might help but again I'd be surprised if that was the solution. 

There are extremely rare cases where network drivers/hardware end up causing audio stuttering, and the solution was disabling wifi/ethernet... but that's definitely not a acceptable fix....

For clarification when you did try the M-Audio air on your laptop when it was still alive, there was no audio stuttering right? What are the chances it's just defective? If it's not this might just be a very niche unfortunate hardware compatibility problem between your PC config and the device. 

Okay, for clarification, the audio stutters still existed on my laptop but they occured so sparsely that I'm willing to believe it had more to do with the processor just not keeping up when CPU usage was higher. My testing on my laptop was as followed: connected the device before starting it, then opened spotify to play music and then open my browser. Since that laptop only had an i5 3210M and the stutters would only appear when doing things that would use a decent bit of CPU resources like opening your browser with like 25 tabs saved I'm willing to bet it on that. Since my PC is I don't know how many times faster than my laptop was, the stutters shouldn't be an issue. So it probably is down to bad luck and compatibility problems with my hardware configuration.

However, I am still skeptical about this, but I just disabled HPET and have restarted my PC a couple times now and the stutters are gone. I didn't even have to do the polling rate workaround with my mouse that I normally have to do every time that I start my PC. Reason I'm skeptical is because I have had some of those moments before where there stutters didn't occur at all but those are rare. So I'm still not entirely sure. I'll keep using my PC like normal for the rest of the day and see tomorrow if they're still gone and maybe try 1 more restart later today. I'll let you know if they're gone or if they come back another time. But so far it seems promising.

I would have liked to try the bit depth and samplerate settings but the default of this device is 32-bit at 192K. Both of my units defaulted to that when I first plugged them in. Trust me when I say I've tried but I can't get my bit depth to change to anything other than 32. As for the samplerate, the default of 192K and my current setting of 48K don't make any difference from each other. In fact I even tried a fresh install of Windows on a different drive but the same PC, resh install o Windows and only the necessary drivers but there were no differences with that. The ehternet thing might be possible, and even tho I don't make use of the 2.5G ehternet that this board has I would prefer to stick to ethernet if I can. So that's a solution for another day.

Quick update, I restarted for some Windows issues and the stutters are already back, so I'd have to try other things. It seemed to good to be true.

Maybe I'll just get a new interface but then you'll see I'll run into the same issue lol

1 minute ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Quick update, I restarted for some Windows issues and the stutters are already back, so I'd have to try other things. It seemed to good to be true.

Maybe I'll just get a new interface but then you'll see I'll run into the same issue lol

Damit I was just typing up a response about being astonished that the HPET disabling fixed the problem since I nearly didn't post it because I didn't think it could be the solution in my research.... 

The thing might just be busted.... If you switch to something else and it's also somehow has issues let me know, I'd be happy to run through troubleshooting attempts again. 

1 minute ago, Fred Castellum said:

Damit I was just typing up a response about being astonished that the HPET disabling fixed the problem since I nearly didn't post it because I didn't think it could be the solution in my research.... 

The thing might just be busted.... If you switch to something else and it's also somehow has issues let me know, I'd be happy to run through troubleshooting attempts again. 

Well considering my previous interface had no issues and neither did my an Audient ID4 that my brother owns, I doubt an interface from a brand that isn't M-Audio should have issues.

I'll take tomorrow to try everything suggested here and see if anything fixes, from the hyperthreading disbling or even getting rid of my ethernet driver (I might just take that drive and make it a Windows test installation again).

But for the rest of today I'll be looking for any audio interfaces that have a good amount of gain on the mic preamps, good sound and nice features. Anything that isn't Audient tho lol. I'll see if I can find anything.

For now thanks for the help! I'll be seeing if any of it cna solve this damn issue

1 minute ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

Well considering my previous interface had no issues and neither did my an Audient ID4 that my brother owns, I doubt an interface from a brand that isn't M-Audio should have issues.

I'll take tomorrow to try everything suggested here and see if anything fixes, from the hyperthreading disbling or even getting rid of my ethernet driver (I might just take that drive and make it a Windows test installation again).

But for the rest of today I'll be looking for any audio interfaces that have a good amount of gain on the mic preamps, good sound and nice features. Anything that isn't Audient tho lol. I'll see if I can find anything.

For now thanks for the help! I'll be seeing if any of it cna solve this damn issue

Do let us know how it goes. 

After testing pretty much everything suggested, it hasn't really made a  diference. No ethernet driver installed did make the stutters less but that's not a viable solution at all. Disabling hyperthreading didn't do the trick either. The biggest diference still seems to come from disabling HPET. It doesn't get rid of the stutters entirely but it gets rid of most, to the point my PC is usable again without having to try any workarounds. The stuttering still shows up mostly after running a more CPU intensive task like gaming for example, after closing the game it's like the system goes back down to a more low power state which causes the stutering to appear and generally having to try the mouse polling rate workaround again.

It is probably down to a very unfortunate compatibility issue of this audio interface and my PC components. Whether it's the motherbaord and it's USB configuration, the B550 chipset or even the R7 5700X. Heck maybe even the memory running at it's rated 3600MHz instead of the default of like....2133 I believe? I have no clue.

I have now bought a new interface, a Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 gen 3, which I hope will perform just like my old Bheringer did. Without issues. But that's for later when it arrives.

I do wanna thank everyone for leaving suggestions on what to try and helping to figure out what the problem is. Sadly it is just much more complicated and I don't think any one of us wants to put in the time to figure out the nitty gritty lol. Big thanks to you especially @Fred Castellum for the fast and detailed help.

So that's all for now o/

It's a shame we weren't able to permanently resolve the problem, well regardless it shouldn't be a problem anymore once the Focusrite(great choice by the way, got friends who use their products) is up and running. 

Since your experiencing differences with the audio stuttering under load it might be worth giving Process Lasso a go, delegating certain cores to certain tasks might lower DPC latency and in turn help with the issue. I did do a bit more digging into DPC latency issues yesterday, methods to lower it, and how it can effect system audio devices since this topic was interesting. I stumbled upon a Sweetwater(well known audio gear retailer) article talking about DPC latency and how to check for what yours is with "Latencymon" and "DPC Latency Checker", and a follow up article that talks about how to possibly resolve having high DPC latency. Also read through various posts that talk about DPC latency causing a large variety of audio based issues...

Might be worth a read, and trying out if you want. 

Solving DPC Latency Issues: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/#:~:text=But what is DPC latency,processed in time (latency).
Causes of DPC Latency and How to Fix Them: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/causes-of-dpc-latency-and-how-to-fix-them/

27 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

It's a shame we weren't able to permanently resolve the problem, well regardless it shouldn't be a problem anymore once the Focusrite(great choice by the way, got friends who use their products) is up and running. 

Since your experiencing differences with the audio stuttering under load it might be worth giving Process Lasso a go, delegating certain cores to certain tasks might lower DPC latency and in turn help with the issue. I did do a bit more digging into DPC latency issues yesterday, methods to lower it, and how it can effect system audio devices since this topic was interesting. I stumbled upon a Sweetwater(well known audio gear retailer) article talking about DPC latency and how to check for what yours is with "Latencymon" and "DPC Latency Checker", and a follow up article that talks about how to possibly resolve having high DPC latency. Also read through various posts that talk about DPC latency causing a large variety of audio based issues...

Might be worth a read, and trying out if you want. 

Solving DPC Latency Issues: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/#:~:text=But what is DPC latency,processed in time (latency).
Causes of DPC Latency and How to Fix Them: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/causes-of-dpc-latency-and-how-to-fix-them/

I'll be sure to take a look at that and see if I can figure anything out. This has also gottne me interested in DPC latency and what it's all about/what can impact your DPC latency. I mean as long as I still ahve my M-Audio I'll be testing things out, so thanks for that!
I do sure hope the Focusrite will work fine tho haha

18 minutes ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

I'll be sure to take a look at that and see if I can figure anything out. This has also gottne me interested in DPC latency and what it's all about/what can impact your DPC latency. I mean as long as I still ahve my M-Audio I'll be testing things out, so thanks for that!
I do sure hope the Focusrite will work fine tho haha

Something else of note if you do plan to use Process Lasso to try to lower DPC latency, it should be best to target cores that aren't often under load. Should be able to see which ones are often under load while also trying to process DPC latency tasks via Latencymon I think. 

One way of lowering DPC latency is to turn off Energy Efficient Ethernet(if it isn't already off), turning this off shouldn't effect normal internet performance at all. Setting should be in the Device Manager>Network Adapters Section>Ethernet adapter(select properties)>Advanced tab>Power Management tab>uncheck allow computer to turn off this device to save power. 

Good luck!