Running 4070 ti on a 450 watt Corsair PSU

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
32 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

The problem is that I only have a 450-watt PSU. Some say a 4070 ti need more than 650-watt PSU. But its power draw is less than 300 watts. The i5 8400 eats 65-watt max I think.

So, should I run the 4070 ti with the 450-watt PSU?

You need to account for everything else in your PC that draws power. Motherboard, RAM, SSDs, hard drives, LEDs, fans, USB devices, all of it. If anything is overclocked at all, that will draw even more power.

With that said, you can install a 4070Ti into that system and it will work for a little bit, but you should absolutely expect your PC to shut down if you throw any half-serious load on that GPU.

Hi, I just bought a 4070 ti so I can do more in Bender and faster. I was using UHD630 and an i5 8400 on a gigabyte b365 gamming M.

I'll still be using the same board and processor, but use a 4070 ti to render quickly.

The problem is that I only have a 450-watt PSU. Some say a 4070 ti need more than 650-watt PSU. But its power draw is less than 300 watts. The i5 8400 eats 65-watt max I think.

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender and Unreal Engine

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I absolutely would NOT use a 450w PSU with a 4070ti.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Also cpu bottleneck

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

You could technically use it but you would have to heavily power limit it, I wouldnt recommend using it at 100% power limit unless you upgraded to a 650w unit or better.

Limit it to maybe 60% (it would be 170w of 4070 tis 285w tdp)

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

15 minutes ago, UnknownWalls said:

Also cpu bottleneck

In gaming maybe, but hes using blender which is much different.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

Just now, rippy4500 said:

1 minute ago, rippy4500 said:

Fair

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

I wouldn’t worry about it. The 8400 isn’t a hungry chip. You should have enough to power a gpu. and if not, your PC will turn off. After the second or third shut down during a heavy load, you will know if 450w is sufficient. You won’t hurt anything by trying in this situation. 

The GPU eats about 290 watts under a load like furmark. You could maybe get away with it, but at the same time you'd be pushing your power supply, besides that, there could be power spikes that could further push it, especially if it's an older power supply . A 4070 ti is 800$, you really can't spare 60-80$ to get a decent power supply to support it?

32 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

You need to account for everything else in your PC that draws power. Motherboard, RAM, SSDs, hard drives, LEDs, fans, USB devices, all of it. If anything is overclocked at all, that will draw even more power.

With that said, you can install a 4070Ti into that system and it will work for a little bit, but you should absolutely expect your PC to shut down if you throw any half-serious load on that GPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

37 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

The i5 8400 eats 65-watt max I think.

Actually the 65W is it's thermal output rating, not the actual power consumption.

Don't forget memory and storage. A basic system with the CPU, GPU, 2 sticks of memory, and one SSD is up to 488W.

There is a real risk overloading some PSU. I would not risk doing so unless I was sure the PSU had modern protections, particularly OCP.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Got everything you said, please suggest what number should be good for my requirements 🙂

4 minutes ago, Parvesh Khatri said:

Got everything you said, please suggest what number should be good for my requirements 🙂

What nvidia mentioned is solid recommendation even on high end CPUs, 650-750W. Make sure that you get a solidly build PSU, a lot of PSU makers and ODMs are a bunch of liars that make a PSU that could deliver 650-750W, but not reliably. Check out PSU Tier List by cultists.network, anything B and above is a solid recommendation, with 5-15 year full replacement warranty range being preferable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.