Tune down a I7-11770K

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

There are two things you can do to get it to have lower power consumption. 

1. Manually underclock and undervolt it until you get to the power target you want. 
  2. Manually set the power limits in the BIOS to whatever you want them to be. 

You should be able to impose a 65W TDP if you really want to or even lower. 

Hi, I am running Unraid with a Z590i motherboard.   Currently, I'm using my old I7-11700K from my desktop that I upgraded.   The TDP is listed at 125W, but it can, of course, spike up.    Is there a way to detune it so it has a lower TDP?   I want to use a smaller CPU fan to make room for other peripherals in my case and use less power.    I have a power meter connected between the wall and PSU, but I couldn't find any settings to lower it that much.  

If it's impossible, I will replace it with an i3-10305t which has a TDP of only 35W.  

I don't plan to run any VMs.   I have a separate Proxmox server for that.   I use Unraid for my NAS, a couple of docker containers, and Plex.

Thanks,

David

1. Manually underclock and undervolt it until you get to the power target you want. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thanks for the reply.   I'll go through the manual and check the settings.    Will it help to disable some of the cores?

David

2 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

Thanks for the reply.   I'll go through the manual and check the settings.    Will it help to disable some of the cores?

David

Disabling cores definitely wouldn't hurt if you aren't going to be using them anyway. 

54 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

Ok cool, thanks!

Basically if you limit it to the i3's specs it will consume the same or less than the i3 😛

Btw tdp DOES NOT EQUAL power consumed.