Clock_watchdog_timeout (and other BSODs) problem

Quinnos

(This is a repost of a topic I made a week ago)

Hi! I have been the proud owner of a PC since 2020 and have not experienced problems with it for 3 solid years. Last year I upgraded my CPU and motherboard and I have very recently bought a 2Tb WD_Black sn770. It worked very nice for a few days but suddenly my PC is throwing a lot of BSODs at me. Mostly Clock_watchdog_timeout. The only overclocking I have done was ASUS Ai overclocking, XMP, and a bit of MSI afterburner. Ofcourse, when I got the first error, I turned all these overclocks off. Didn’t help. I did a fresh install of Windows 11. Didn’t help. Ran memtestx86, RAM is good.

Updated the BIOS. Didnt help. I am now at a point at which I am pulling out my hairs and going insane, I have no idea what it could be.. Is it my CPU? Or does it have something to do with my new SSD? If you have any idea what it could be please let me know! And feel free to ask any other questions.

spec list:

• Windows 11 x64-bit
  • Intel i5 12600k
  • ASUS Z690-A Gaming wifi D4
  • 2x8 Corsair vengeance RGB pro SL
  • WD_Black sn770 2Tb
  • MSI gtx 1060 6Gb gaming X
  • EVGA supernova G3 550W

Did an install of some new intel RST drivers which fixed the problem for a few days, but it is coming back again. There is a dropbox link below with the Sysnative BSOD files.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2chjjms9s7boy2r63alrq/h?dl=0&rlkey=r3e8g0maucc65lrh3q6a98niz

Again, feel free to ask questions, or to ask for more info.

upload to here the minicrash dump files.

I'll poke about them and see what I can determine

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

upload to here the minicrash dump files.

I'll poke about them and see what I can determine

These were the only two files in the Minidump folder, hope it is sufficient.

051123-8015-01.dmp 051123-11781-01.dmp

In the bios set static 1.3v vcore and static 45 multiplier on all pcores alongside static 35 multiplier on all ecores

Then run prime95 largeffts and see if that crashes, if it does then its a ram issue, if it doesnt you can return the vcore and multi back to stock or auto and run prime95 smallest ffts and see if that crashes, if it does then unstable cpu settings

26 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

051123-8015-01.dmp 3.38 MB · 1 download 051123-11781-01.dmp 1.26 MB · 1 download

Thx, a work firewall issue is preventing the downloads, so I'll do it when I get home tonight

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

In the bios set static 1.3v vcore and static 45 multiplier on all pcores alongside static 35 multiplier on all ecores

Then run prime95 largeffts and see if that crashes, if it does then its a ram issue, if it doesnt you can return the vcore and multi back to stock or auto and run prime95 smallest ffts and see if that crashes, if it does then unstable cpu settings

Could you please explain a bit more in-depth on how to get there? I’m not that much of an overclocker, so I’ve got no idea where to do that.

6 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

Could you please explain a bit more in-depth on how to get there? I’m not that much of an overclocker, so I’ve got no idea where to do that.

You can enter the bios by spamming delete upon turning on your pc and keep spamming till you get into the bios

After that just take a screenie and i can give some more detailed instructions

31 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can enter the bios by spamming delete upon turning on your pc and keep spamming till you get into the bios

After that just take a screenie and i can give some more detailed instructions

Here you go.IMG_7313.thumb.jpeg.c7e3840d0da0756b24ffe1505731d04a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Quinnos said:

Here you go.IMG_7313.thumb.jpeg.c7e3840d0da0756b24ffe1505731d04a.jpeg

Go into the ai tweaker menu and you should be able to set the voltages and multis there

On 5/19/2023 at 4:13 PM, Quinnos said:

051123-8015-01.dmp 3.38 MB · 2 downloads 051123-11781-01.dmp 1.26 MB · 1 download

Both of these were DPC_Watchdog_Timeout. In both crashes the offender was the PPM (Processor Power Management). That paired with Clock_Watchdog_Timeouts, I would have to ask if you are overclocking the CPU. If you are, remove it. If not (Or even if you are and want to try), update to the latest Chipset driver. I see that you are already on the latest BIOS which would have been the other thing to look at.

Clock_Watchdog_Timeouts can be a faulty CPU, but I would not expect the DPC crashes. This feels more like software or overclocking. Unless you have also seen WHEA crashes. 

To the suggestion that it's RAM, unless triggered by XMP being too high for the CPU's liking, this doesn't look like RAM.

5 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Both of these were DPC_Watchdog_Timeout. In both crashes the offender was the PPM (Processor Power Management). That paired with Clock_Watchdog_Timeouts, I would have to ask if you are overclocking the CPU. If you are, remove it. If not (Or even if you are and want to try), update to the latest Chipset driver. I see that you are already on the latest BIOS which would have been the other thing to look at.

Clock_Watchdog_Timeouts can be a faulty CPU, but I would not expect the DPC crashes. This feels more like software or overclocking. Unless you have also seen WHEA crashes. 

To the suggestion that it's RAM, unless triggered by XMP being too high for the CPU's liking, this doesn't look like RAM.

Aha I will look into those things too then. I also just got a Unexpected_store_exception. Does that mean anything too?

2 hours ago, Quinnos said:

Aha I will look into those things too then. I also just got a Unexpected_store_exception. Does that mean anything too?

It would not be related to our current suspects which isn't great. You want to see patterns. This one would be related to storage. 

22 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Go into the ai tweaker menu and you should be able to set the voltages and multis there

These are my options 

IMG_7318.jpeg

IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7320.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Well I am currently not overclocking and restored my BIOS to default values. I have updated the chipset driver but sadly it did not help. Since the Unexpected_store_exception now also has occured, could it be that my SSD is faulty? or that my CPU does not like my SSD? Problems did really start popping up after installing the new SSD. I have also reseated the SSD and CPU so that probably is not the problem. 

Is the RAM on the QVL?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

53 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

These are my options 

IMG_7318.jpeg

IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7320.jpeg

Could you scroll lower? Im sure the vcore setting im talking about is abit lower than that, or its in tweakers paradise

On 5/21/2023 at 2:02 PM, Quinnos said:

Well I am currently not overclocking and restored my BIOS to default values. I have updated the chipset driver but sadly it did not help. Since the Unexpected_store_exception now also has occured, could it be that my SSD is faulty? or that my CPU does not like my SSD? Problems did really start popping up after installing the new SSD. I have also reseated the SSD and CPU so that probably is not the problem. 

Unless it's an OEM motherboard (Big name prebuilt brands like Dell, HP, Acer, etc), then compatibility with storage is virtually not a thing. There are some weird edge cases, but quite rare.

There haven't been that many dump files and generally RAM blames random stuff as it's random which program uses a bad area of RAM. This low amount of of dump files could have caused a false pattern to emerge. To try to explain it better, if we had 1000 dump files from RAM blaming random processes and create a list with each crash and why it happened, looking at a small part of that list could cause it to look like patterns, but once you take all the data into account you realize that it's random. 

So the dump files didn't look like RAM, but there is no reason for the previous suspects to suddenly cause storage issues. 

There is one last suspect that could explain all these things which is the motherboard as everything connects to it, but the motherboard is almost always a possible suspect so it's a bit of a cop out. 

23 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Unless it's an OEM motherboard (Big name prebuilt brands like Dell, HP, Acer, etc), then compatibility with storage is virtually not a thing. There are some weird edge cases, but quite rare.

There haven't been that many dump files an generally RAM blames random stuff as it's random which program uses a bad area of RAM. This low amount of of dump files could have caused a false pattern to emerge. To try to explain it better, if we had 1000 dump files from RAM blaming random processes and create a list with each crash and why it happened, looking at a small part of that list could cause it to look like patterns, but once you take all the data into account you realize that it's random. 

So the dump files didn't look like RAM, but there is no reason for the previous suspects to suddenly cause storage issues. 

There is one last suspect that could explain all these things which is the motherboard as everything connects to it, but the motherboard is almost always a possible suspect so it's a bit of a cop out. 

Do you suggest I try different ram? Because I do have access to a few other sticks of it.

19 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

Do you suggest I try different ram? Because I do have access to a few other sticks of it.

If you got it at hand, sure. 

34 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

If you got it at hand, sure. 

Okay, I tried different RAM but it did not change anything. Should be safe to say that RAM isn't the problem then. I could try to install windows to another drive and boot up from that?

12 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

Okay, I tried different RAM but it did not change anything. Should be safe to say that RAM isn't the problem then. I could try to install windows to another drive and boot up from that?

Sure, just anything you can to limit suspects at this point is great. 

19 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Installed windows on another drive, it seems to be working perfectly for now. I will have to wait a few days just to be sure. When I reinstalled windows on that other (maybe bad) drive it also worked the first days. I will update this topic when I’ve got results.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:41 PM, Bjoolz said:

Alright, ran some time with my other SSD, did not help. Just booted up my PC and got greeted by a kernel_data_inpage_error BSOD. Is this in any way related to the earlier mentioned errors?

4 minutes ago, Quinnos said:

Just booted up my PC and got greeted by a kernel_data_inpage_error BSOD. Is this in any way related to the earlier mentioned errors?

This one is usually related to storage as well. And just to be clear here, the error generally doesn't tell you what the issue is with most crashes, you have to look at the dump files. You just seem to be collecting the relatively few ones that often can be contributed to a specific component. 

14 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

This one is usually related to storage as well. And just to be clear here, the error generally doesn't tell you what the issue is with most crashes, you have to look at the dump files. You just seem to be collecting the relatively few ones that often can be contributed to a specific component. 

I just checked if a dump file was created, but sadly not. I have no idea why it does not create one. I also have two HDD's and one makes some loud sounds sometimes, so it is probably failing (I've got it backed up), could that also be a cause?