Windows update bricked my NVMe SSD???

Hi there,

My PC auto applied a windows 11 update today, after which my PC performance slowed to a crawl. Task manager showed my boot SSD (Crucial P5 1tb) at a constant 100% utilization. I decided to reboot and see if this was just a glitch. Now my bios doesn't even recognize the drive in the slot on the motherboard. Tried swapping to a different SSD in the same slot, which the bios then detected. However, trying the Crucial P5 in the slot again still shows nothing. Do you think the Crucial P5 is bricked?

System details:

Motherboard: ASRock H510M-ITX/ac

SSD: Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe - CT1000P5SSD8

Google the complete guide and steps on troubleshooting ssd not detected in the bios, like enabling/disable secure boot, enabled Compatibility, change boot priorities, etc. I've only tried win11 for a day before going back to 10, so I can't say much, but I'm pretty sure the OS is still downloading and updating something in the background. My guess is that the OS got corrupted or something. Try updating your motherboard's bios too by the way.

Sounds weird never seen that happening, but try the usual steps, reset bios, if you have 2 nvme slot try the other one.

I've flashed the bios to the latest version, tried secure boot and compatibility. The board has a second slot but is for pci-e gen 4 and I don't have an 11th gen Intel processor to support it. It's odd because a different SSD works in the same slot...thus my assumption was the SSD just suddenly died. It's only 2 years old and certainly nowhere near its rated life.

15 minutes ago, danct94 said:

I've flashed the bios to the latest version, tried secure boot and compatibility. The board has a second slot but is for pci-e gen 4 and I don't have an 11th gen Intel processor to support it. It's odd because a different SSD works in the same slot...thus my assumption was the SSD just suddenly died. It's only 2 years old and certainly nowhere near its rated life.

Are you sure that you listed the correct motherboard as the asrock H510M-ITX/ac only has one m.2 slot for storage as the second slot is specifically for the included Wi-Fi module.

As for the issue with the drive, it's more likely a coincidence that the drive failed after the update considering that it "worked" (and I'm using that loosely because it was on deaths doorstep at the time) after the update since no update should interfere with the drives firmware and it's more then likely that the controller or something else had gone marginal after the first reboot and then executed the "I die now" function and stopped working.

If the drive is still under warranty just RMA it for a replacement.

Yes, I listed the wrong Motherboard, meant the H570 which has two slots. Going to call crucial tomorrow about RMA as their return page doesn't exist. Just odd how it died so suddenly. Showed no signs of any issue before that windows update. Thanks for all the help!