Help me please : (( Home server upgrade introduces beeps and not turning on

Go to solution Solved by JewPacaBraZ,

Well seems i got "stealthy" scammed when i got my refurbished pc, after lots and lots of digging its not an M82 its a M81 and it doesnt support 3rd gen.... Bruh

Hi,

I bought a refurbished PC some years ago, the Lenovo Thinkcentre M82 SFF with an i3 2120, and i got a second hand processor, the i7 3770 so i could upgrade it a bit.

Installation was flawless, removed the heatsink, cleaned the old thermalpaste, appied new one and put back the cpu cooler. Then i plug it in and nothing. I get 3 short beeps, 2 long and 1 short again. I searched the internet a bit but i could not find anything sadly.

The processor is supported, if the spec sheet from lenovo is to be believed.
image.png.4477cd07e1084f95cbd4d60d8d814fa6.png and the motherboard chipset says that both CPUs are supported.image.png.3fc0753133fdc2a0e52bed956404aee8.png

I tried clearing the CMOS but nothing, i also removed the ram and still the problem persists.

This is a recording of the beeps.

Thanks in advance!

Tech enthusiast from the land of dept ( Greece ) and casual overclocker. If it has a processor i will overclock it, monitor yes, my car's ecu yes, my brain... yes.

MAIN PC R5 5500 / 32GB RAM / 6900XT
SERVER : i7 2600 / 12GB RAM / 8TB

could be that you need to update the bios on the mobo. reinstall the first cpu, update bios. install new cpu.

Its a lenovo prebuilt, will i find the bios update on their website?

Tech enthusiast from the land of dept ( Greece ) and casual overclocker. If it has a processor i will overclock it, monitor yes, my car's ecu yes, my brain... yes.

Also its doing a wierd thing before starting.

12 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

Its a lenovo prebuilt, will i find the bios update on their website?

Most likely. I don't think Lenovo takes down legacy content like HP does.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I reinstalled the old cpu, now it just turns on, but i have a blank display... No beeps not lights. It starts up like it would normally do but with no display...

how the fuck do i update the bios i run linux, do i need to "burn the iso" on the USB stick with like Rufus?

After resitting everything, it posted withthe old cpu. Im installing windows so i can use the damn lenovo wizard to update the bios

53 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Most likely. I don't think Lenovo takes down legacy content like HP does.

wait hp does that.... guess im never buying anything from then again

13 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

After resitting everything, it posted withthe old cpu. Im installing windows so i can use the damn lenovo wizard to update the bios

good luck

Finished the bios update.... Beeps again, the cpu is working so whats might be the problem?

1 hour ago, Tomberry said:

wait hp does that.... guess im never buying anything from then again

At least for their commercial hardware, they lock their updates and downloads behind a service contract paywall.

There's a reason I sold my soul to Dell. Their support site makes a lot more sense.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

At least for their commercial hardware, they lock their updates and downloads behind a service contract paywall.

There's a reason I sold my soul to Dell. Their support site makes a lot more sense.

i mean i would like dell but then..... ive used/worked on some of there old prebuilts... propriatrary bullshit

Tried a different mobo, seems like the i7 is dead(?) the i3 is booting fine on my Msi P67A-GD65 (B3) but the i7 does 4 beeps

52 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

Finished the bios update.... Beeps again, the cpu is working so whats might be the problem?

The old CPU is still working?

Are you using the same RAM with both processors? From what I can tell, the first beep code you got was a RAM error.

7 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

Tried a different mobo, seems like the i7 is dead(?) the i3 is booting fine on my Msi P67A-GD65 (B3) but the i7 does 4 beeps

🫡 (Assuming the BIOS on that board has been updated for Ivy Bridge.)

49 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

i mean i would like dell but then..... ive used/worked on some of there old prebuilts... propriatrary bullshit

Readily available, well-documented proprietary bullshit!

image.png.75186eca7f48b0b2ab3314fe40b9ede0.png

Edited by Needfuldoer

Well seems i got "stealthy" scammed when i got my refurbished pc, after lots and lots of digging its not an M82 its a M81 and it doesnt support 3rd gen.... Bruh