Audio Crackle/ Random Pop During YouTube Videos and During Shows

Hello everyone,

I've never used a forum before as I can usually figure things out on my own. Recently though, I've had a random audio crackle/pop (just one every now and then) and for me it's unbearable knowing something's wrong. I've tried everything I can think of, going as far as replacing my MOBO thinking it was an onboard audio jack issue. I got a new case as well as I use the front audio jack for my earbuds. I also just bought new earbuds and this has not worked, the issue continues. 

If you have any questions please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

System specs:

- MSI B550 MAG TOMAHAWK

- RYZEN 7 5800X3D

- CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RGB 2X16GB CL18 3600MHZ

- ASUS TUF 4070TI OC

- MSI MPG A850G 850W GOLD 

Please let me know of any other specs you'd think would matter.

Edited by AustinRK
Adding specs

Write total system specification that will be helpful.  If you are using platform with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 you might be yet another unfortunate soul with sound issues that can't be solved no matter what you do. Check out this threads :

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-sound-by-hdmi-causes-dropouts-clicks-and-pops-high-latency-intel-z790-windows-11.446761/

May god have mercy on your soul brother.

57 minutes ago, Kriz said:

Write total system specification that will be helpful.  If you are using platform with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 you might be yet another unfortunate soul with sound issues that can't be solved no matter what you do. Check out this threads :

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-sound-by-hdmi-causes-dropouts-clicks-and-pops-high-latency-intel-z790-windows-11.446761/

May god have mercy on your soul brother.

Done now, not using ddr5 or a crazy mobo. Not even sure honestly what fully started the issue. It's just very annoying.

1 hour ago, AustinRK said:

Hello everyone,

I've never used a forum before as I can usually figure things out on my own. Recently though, I've had a random audio crackle/pop (just one every now and then) and for me it's unbearable knowing something's wrong. I've tried everything I can think of, going as far as replacing my MOBO thinking it was an onboard audio jack issue. I got a new case as well as I use the front audio jack for my earbuds. I also just bought new earbuds and this has not worked, the issue continues. 

If you have any questions please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

System specs:

- MSI B550 MAG TOMAHAWK

- RYZEN 7 5800X3D

- CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RGB 2X16GB CL18 3600MHZ

- ASUS TUF 4070TI OC

- MSI MPG A850G 850W GOLD 

Please let me know of any other specs you'd think would matter.

I never reccomend using case audio as it generally is poorly shielded thus will pick up electrical noise within the PC better. Try motherboard audio outs to see if the problem persists.  if you motherboard doesn't make the noise then it the case. If you still want to use audio out from the front I recommend getting a USB DAC. Something like a apple usb cdonfle dac for $10 will be a good replacement.

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

I never reccomend using case audio as it generally is poorly shielded thus will pick up electrical noise within the PC better. Try motherboard audio outs to see if the problem persists.  if you motherboard doesn't make the noise then it the case. If you still want to use audio out from the front I recommend getting a USB DAC. Something like a apple usb cdonfle dac for $10 will be a good replacement.

I would use mobo audio outs but I don't use headphones, I only use earbuds as they're just more comfortable for me. Is this the link to the item you mentioned? Do you think it would provide better shielding/ eliminate the audio issue? https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NF5WEZTGUC1W&keywords=apple+usb+c+dongle+dac&qid=1683771843&sprefix=apple+usb+c+dongle+dac%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-5

EDIT: Just purchased it, will check to see if issue is resolved after the weekend. Fingers crossed. If not, would you recommend an external audio interface, something just to plug into the back of the mobo, then plug the earbuds into the 3.5mm jack? 

Edited by AustinRK

8 hours ago, AustinRK said:

I would use mobo audio outs but I don't use headphones, I only use earbuds as they're just more comfortable for me. Is this the link to the item you mentioned? Do you think it would provide better shielding/ eliminate the audio issue? https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NF5WEZTGUC1W&keywords=apple+usb+c+dongle+dac&qid=1683771843&sprefix=apple+usb+c+dongle+dac%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-5

EDIT: Just purchased it, will check to see if issue is resolved after the weekend. Fingers crossed. If not, would you recommend an external audio interface, something just to plug into the back of the mobo, then plug the earbuds into the 3.5mm jack? 

of course I will provide alternative solutions if this doesn't work out for you. always happy to help

On 5/11/2023 at 5:49 AM, rice guru said:

of course I will provide alternative solutions if this doesn't work out for you. always happy to help

Doesn't seem to be working. Still random audio pops. It's not major but again just annoying. Any other solution?

4 hours ago, AustinRK said:

Doesn't seem to be working. Still random audio pops. It's not major but again just annoying. Any other solution?

https://a.co/d/bX2zmOg try a ground loop isolator this is the one I use for my switch to my PC as the line out from my switch to the line in on my PC makes a lot of noise.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

https://a.co/d/bX2zmOg try a ground loop isolator this is the one I use for my switch to my PC as the line out from my switch to the line in on my PC makes a lot of noise.

I actually have this exact one. I tried it on my front panel audio with no success. Try it on line out and plug my earbuds into it? Still would probably want a better solution as my earbud cord isn't the longest, and the line out is a couple feet from me. Any others?

2 hours ago, AustinRK said:

I actually have this exact one. I tried it on my front panel audio with no success. Try it on line out and plug my earbuds into it? Still would probably want a better solution as my earbud cord isn't the longest, and the line out is a couple feet from me. Any others?

Try a combination of that and the dongle and the earbuds and see if that works. Only other solution I can think of is a longer cable and use on your motherboard audio out maybe your case front panel is by nature just really noisy. Then the only other thing is maybe you could use your dongle with a USB hub on your desk. 

Just to be clear, does this occur only on YouTube and other streaming services or has this happened to you while doing other things? I've noticed a lot of crackling and stuttering on YouTube videos when hardware acceleration is enabled and just want to make sure that's not your issue.

3 hours ago, theninja35 said:

Just to be clear, does this occur only on YouTube and other streaming services or has this happened to you while doing other things? I've noticed a lot of crackling and stuttering on YouTube videos when hardware acceleration is enabled and just want to make sure that's not your issue.

I've only had it happen on YouTube and streaming services. I can try and disable hardware acceleration if I can find it and will update the thread. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, AustinRK said:

I've only had it happen on YouTube and streaming services. I can try and disable hardware acceleration if I can find it and will update the thread. Thank you!

So, it was simple of course, checked Graphics Settings in Display Settings, and Hardware Acceleration was off by default. Was this the location of the setting you were mentioning?

EDIT: I noticed there's hardware acceleration for Chrome as well. I turned this off, we'll see if it works.

1 hour ago, AustinRK said:

So, it was simple of course, checked Graphics Settings in Display Settings, and Hardware Acceleration was off by default. Was this the location of the setting you were mentioning?

EDIT: I noticed there's hardware acceleration for Chrome as well. I turned this off, we'll see if it works.

Sorry, I should've mentioned. I get issues when the Chrome setting is turned on. Let us know if it does or doesn't change.

23 hours ago, theninja35 said:

Sorry, I should've mentioned. I get issues when the Chrome setting is turned on. Let us know if it does or doesn't change.

It looks like so far that it's helping a bit, still some random pops but really does seem to have helped. Curious if you know of anymore fixes? I ordered a 3.5mm extension to use the back of my motherboard w my earbuds. 

I almost wanna say that this issue may have started after I got my new graphics card. I changed the PCIE_E settings in the BIOS that others mentioned and reverted back to an older NVIDIA driver and still the issue is happening.

15 hours ago, AustinRK said:

It looks like so far that it's helping a bit, still some random pops but really does seem to have helped. Curious if you know of anymore fixes? I ordered a 3.5mm extension to use the back of my motherboard w my earbuds. 

I almost wanna say that this issue may have started after I got my new graphics card. I changed the PCIE_E settings in the BIOS that others mentioned and reverted back to an older NVIDIA driver and still the issue is happening.

Hopefully the extension will help fix the rest, then. Rice is right about unshielded front ports, a lot of people report noisy audio when using them.

One post I read suggested turning off Fast Start in your power settings if you have it enabled in Windows 10. It could also be poor drivers or the graphics card stuttering, but if it doesn't happen in games and you've turned off Chrome's hardware acceleration then that probably isn't it.

• 2 weeks later...

Motherboard out's not producing sound at the moment. Issue still happens on front audio jack but is happening less often with a ground loop isolator. Should I look for like an external audio interface to fix the issue?