Does this work and if yes, how would you apply it?

PhoKing

Hello LTT community,

I'm currently attempting to see if this is possible or not with my current hardware for networking.

Currently right now I am using a Shaw cable modem connected via coax. It has wifi capabilities as well. I have another router, which is an Asus Router RT-AX92U and I want to know is it possible to connect the ASUS router wirelessly to the Shaw Cable modem from another room in the house so that it can be used for direct connection to the PC. Or do I have to connect the router to the modem directly to have any form of internet access ?

Thank  you

17 minutes ago, PhoKing said:

directly to have any form of internet access ?

That

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That

So I assume it can't be used similar to a wifi extender then ? 

1 minute ago, PhoKing said:

So I assume it can't be used similar to a wifi extender then ? 

No it's a router not a wifi extender.

@jaslion you might want to consider not commenting on things you know nothing about

@PhoKing it should be possible, maybe the repeater mode would work? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036082/

it would be helpful to know what exactly you want to achieve (why do you need to do this) so people can think of different solutions

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

the lan ports should also work in repeater mode, at least thats what quick google search suggests

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

5 hours ago, PhoKing said:

I want to know is it possible to connect the ASUS router wirelessly to the Shaw Cable modem from another room in the house so that it can be used for direct connection to the PC. Or do I have to connect the router to the modem directly to have any form of internet access ?

Either way is possible.

With the former you have to set up the Asus in repeater mode. However, this dedicates at least one band as wireless backhaul to the primary router so any wireless clients connecting to the Asus will only be able to use the other band. Furthermore, a "repeated" wireless signal is only as good as the quality of the signal it is able to detect in the first place. If you position it in a location where the signal is already weak, then the backhaul will be weak, even if the repeater's broadcast to clients is strong. Such a setup can introduce more latency than a direct wireless connection to a wired AP.

The latter configuration would be AP mode. Clients can use all wireless bands since the backhaul is an ethernet uplink. This mode isn't subject to the latency issues as repeater mode and tends to be more reliable if set up properly.

In both modes, the ethernet ports on the Asus can be used for wired clients, although the quality of the connection will be better if running in AP mode than repeater mode.