DDR5 Dedicated Servers?

Hello.

I am having a hard time finding some DDR5 dedicated servers to rent monthly, that are stationed in the USA.

Does anyone know any sites that provide this? Hopefully not terribly expensive, but reasonable.

7 minutes ago, whispous said:

What's your reason for needing DDR5 in particular?

steam game server.
looking for like 64gb of it, with around at least a 5950x level cpu

OVHcloud:  offers a DDR5 servers. Their servers are located in data centers across the USA.

Liquid Web:  offers DDR5 servers. They have data centers in the USA

Hivelocity: offers DDR5 servers in their USA data centers

9 minutes ago, Slamscape519 said:

steam game server.

Whats wrong with DDR4?

10 minutes ago, Slamscape519 said:

steam game server.

Why do you need DDR5 for this purpose?

12 minutes ago, Slamscape519 said:

steam game server.

Ok but why do you need ddr5 for that?

What game server? Most game servers don't even use a handful of cores so don't overspend there. They don't magically multithread.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok but why do you need ddr5 for that?

What game server? Most game servers don't even use a handful of cores so don't overspend there. They don't magically multithread.

I think OP is in the idea that game servers need to be every bit as powerful as the Gaming PCs to run the game server itself. Which can be true, but any game that lets you run a hosted server of your own would mean that's quite far form true.

Minecraft is about the heaviest game server I know of that you can self host and even then you need more CPU than memory transfer speed.

Just now, 10leej said:

Minecraft is about the heaviest game server I know of that you can self host and even then you need more CPU than memory transfer speed.

And as a bonus minecraft vanilla got a multi thread server mod that FINALLY allows for some serious multi threading on server severly lowering how hard you need to push cpu single core speed to run 100's of players.

Something important to remember…. Servers have been DDR4 for over a decade at this point, and they hosted games just fine 🙂  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

13 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Something important to remember…. Servers have been DDR4 for over a decade at this point, and they hosted games just fine 🙂  

The game I play. The Isle. Caps out of players at around 125-150 on a server before the lag becomes too extreme to play with multiple people on the same area. And the massive map it uses takes up quite a lot of ram on its own. 
it’s a game where one twitch of lag can literally forever cost someone a character that takes over 8 hours to develop. 
If I want to host an efficient server that supports more players, it needs to be a higher level server than the other around 

13 minutes ago, Slamscape519 said:

The game I play. The Isle. Caps out of players at around 125-150 on a server before the lag becomes too extreme to play with multiple people on the same area. And the massive map it uses takes up quite a lot of ram on its own. 
it’s a game where one twitch of lag can literally forever cost someone a character that takes over 8 hours to develop. 
If I want to host an efficient server that supports more players, it needs to be a higher level server than the other around 

Amount of RAM doesn’t have anything to do with DDR4 vs 5. There are plenty of servers with 4 or even 8 channels of RAM, that’s more bandwidth then anything except scientific applications or google/aws/etc scale data centers need. 

I assume you need “lots” of RAM, and a decently fast CPU. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Amount of RAM doesn’t have anything to do with DDR4 vs 5. There are plenty of servers with 4 or even 8 channels of RAM, that’s more bandwidth then anything except scientific applications or google/aws/etc scale data centers need. 

I assume you need “lots” of RAM, and a decently fast CPU. 

Which is why I’m going from 16gb to 64Gb. 
I am just looking to max it out with ddr5 as well. 

so does anyone know where I can rent a dedicated ddr5 server in the USA? 

29 minutes ago, Slamscape519 said:

Don’t worry about it being ddr4 or ddr5… That won’t make any difference, it will just make your search more difficult as your introducing a requirement that makes the search harder, but doesn’t change the performance. 

Just look for servers that have enough vcpu’s and enough RAM. And if CPU clock speed matters, narrow your search that way. DDR4 vs DDR5 will make no appreciable difference. 

11 hours ago, Slamscape519 said:

This was answered in the third comment of the thread.

I just read this thread, still dont understand the need for DDR5...unless youre talking like DDR5-6800?

DDR5 is available in higher frequency kits than DDR4, but its also double the latency. So performance for up until about 5600Mhz is negligible and in slower kits actually suffers. 

For example a DDR4 4800Mhz kit could have a latency of 19, while a DDR5 5600Mhz kit could have a latency of 36...close to double, so even with a 800Mhz speed bump, the performance difference is essentially margin of error. There are some low latency DDR5 kits but theyre extremely expensive, so likely no dedicated server providers have machines with this low latency memory

Theres a lot of Datacenters that also offer Colo (Colocation) solutions, where you can rack your own server.

Big downside is that most dedicated server providers use enterprise gear which run at standard clocks. It narrows down the options considerably when you're looking at Consumer grade gear. 

But keep in mind as mentioned above by @LIGISTX, these enterprise level gear have 4-8 (or higher) channel memory controllers with Xeons & Epycs, etc... so they reach a high amount of memory throughput despite being slower per module. 

Also, the 5950x is not a DDR5 CPU, its a DDR4 CPU. And these consumer CPU's are only dual channel. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA