Best “gaming” hdds?

PC Player
Go to solution Solved by Vishera,

Toshiba N300 - Pretty solid and reliable, they are also CMR

Western Digital Gold is a good choice as well.

When it comes to reliability i would avoid the Seagate Barracuda and Firecuda drives.

I am looking for the most reliable, fast, and at least pretty good cache, hdd. I know that there is no such thing as a gaming hdd, but the things listed above is what I meant by that. I am looking for a minimum of 4 tb, and a maximum of 16 tb, somewhere in between is good. I would also prefer recommendations from reliable brands, such as Western Digital, and Seagate, if possible.

I used the WD Black series for a long time for my Game Library drives until I needed more storage space, then I started migrating over to the WD Gold line. Both my son and I's machine use WD Gold drives now for our data and Steam Library drives. My Steam Library now sits on a 22 TB WD Gold, my son is using a 14 TB WD Gold in his.

Personal opinion*, as soon as you said "reliable", Seagate gets tossed out.

There is no such thing as fast HDD. U need SSD for that.

There are plenty of good drives out there, depends on availability and prices where you are buying. 

Toshiba N300 - Pretty solid and reliable, they are also CMR

Western Digital Gold is a good choice as well.

When it comes to reliability i would avoid the Seagate Barracuda and Firecuda drives.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Tell that to my hard drive:

image.png.6772d6862710024e6fddae5977983e

It even beats SATA QLC D-RAMless SSDs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

14 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I used the WD Black series for a long time for my Game Library drives until I needed more storage space, then I started migrating over to the WD Gold line. Both my son and I's machine use WD Gold drives now for our data and Steam Library drives. My Steam Library now sits on a 22 TB WD Gold, my son is using a 14 TB WD Gold in his.

Personal opinion*, as soon as you said "reliable", Seagate gets tossed out.

If I could have included a second answered check, this would have been it. Thanks, everyone!

12 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

There are plenty of good drives out there, depends on availability and prices where you are buying. 

I am getting an ssd, as well, but I want at least a faster hdd to boot up my games and applications at least relatively fast. Plus, with the introduction of the new direct storage update, even hdds can be a kinda fast boot drive.

5 minutes ago, PC Player said:

I am getting an ssd, as well, but I want at least a faster hdd to boot up my games and applications at least relatively fast. Plus, with the introduction of the new direct storage update, even hdds can be a kinda fast boot drive.

This is the way to do it. I have an SSD for my OS plus a couple other small programs I want to load quickly, an SSD for games I want to load quickly, and an HDD for mass storage/things I don't care about as much. My rig has a WD Blue which isn't the fastest HDD around, but it's good enough for what I need it to be.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

29 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Tell that to my hard drive:

image.png.6772d6862710024e6fddae5977983e

It even beats SATA QLC D-RAMless SSDs.

What kinda hdd is that?

short stroked?

bclk oc?

22 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What kinda hdd is that?

TOSHIBA P300 3TB 7200RPM

short stroked?

Nope, It's a big 3TB partition.

Though in this case the data was written closer to the outer edge of the platter.

At the edge of the platter i get speeds above 300mb\s.

bclk oc?

Nope, BCLK is stock.

25 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Nope, It's a big 3TB partition.

Though in this case the data was written closer to the outer edge of the platter.

At the edge of the platter i get speeds above 300mb\s.

Damn

is it just 1 big platter or something?

and are there any other fast hdds?

I came in the forums looking for this subject.  I've tried Seagate drives and gave them several chances.  I get more reliability from white label drives (sad but true).  WD Blue drives are 'meh'.  I was hoping for something that's near as reliable as a WD Gold drive but not quite as hefty in price.  Seems most agree here that WD Gold is still the way to go.  I'm currently using an 8TB one as my Launchbox/ExoDOS drive. I've only got 1.2 TB left and someone just mentioned ExoWin3x (345.79GB compressed).  I guess I'm going to have to dish out near 500USD for a 20TB WD Gold to continue this insanity.