Games crashing, getting more and more frequent

Hi LTT forums

I'm still trying to think of what might have started this, but nothing comes to mind.  Within the past 30 days, my computer has started having programs crash more and more frequently.  At first I just thought it was Chrome being weird, because I often had a stream chat website open that was buggy.  But that issue stopped and I started to close Chrome before entering games -- no luck.  Fortnite is very irregular with the crashes, sometimes I don't make it to the lobby and other times I can play until I'm bored.  Minecraft crashes too.

I updated my drivers and ran Windows update, I followed advice from a few articles and did sfc /scannow which found a number of errors and fixed them.  I thought the issue might just be Fortnite at one point, but since Minecraft has started to crash I no longer believe that is the case.

I haven't changed my hardware recently, but I'm using a 2600X @ 4GHz with 32GB of RAM (ddr4 3200, passed all checks I ran), 500gb samsung ssd, 2TB + 6TB hdds, 3080 Ti and Windows 11.

I plan on building a new PC soon, but that's a month or two out.  It's probably just my install of Windows 11 going to trash, but any thoughts are appreciated.

So there's no overheating, and you've narrowed it down to just being the Operating System that you have recently modified? Do a Windows 10 install instead, since 10 is a lot more stable than 11 is, regarding the TPM2.0 requirenment. 

25 minutes ago, reflext said:

So there's no overheating, and you've narrowed it down to just being the Operating System that you have recently modified? Do a Windows 10 install instead, since 10 is a lot more stable than 11 is, regarding the TPM2.0 requirenment. 

I doubt it has anything to do with Windows 10/11

Have you done a scan for the health of your SSD? Sounds like it could be anything like a bad SSD sector that windows or the drivers are on. Or just generally a bad driver. Have you done the DisayDriverInstaller Utility and fresh driver install yet? Also try reinstalling latest DirectX or .NetFramework versions. 

Also, depending on the Samsung SSD it is. A firmware update may be needed. Some SSDs had bad firmware versions that were degrading the hardware saying it had bad sectors when it was just reporting wrong

Edit: it was the 980 Pro, 990, and 970.

8 minutes ago, VesperMoirai said:

Also, depending on the Samsung SSD it is. A firmware update may be needed. Some SSDs had bad firmware versions that were degrading the hardware saying it had bad sectors when it was just reporting wrong

Edit: it was the 980 Pro, 990, and 970.

Firmware is updated.

10 minutes ago, VesperMoirai said:

Have you done a scan for the health of your SSD? Sounds like it could be anything like a bad SSD sector that windows or the drivers are on. Or just generally a bad driver. Have you done the DisayDriverInstaller Utility and fresh driver install yet? Also try reinstalling latest DirectX or .NetFramework versions. 

Samsung Magician's "Diagnostic Scan" option isn't enabled for this drive, but I can export S.M.A.R.T. stats if you want.  I will try reinstalling DX, I switched to 11 in Fortnite and it didn't help sadly.  Already tried repairing .Net, maybe I'll reinstall though.

48 minutes ago, reflext said:

Well when I upgrade my new mb should have TPM2 built in.  My current one has some workaround or something for it (x470 gaming 5 wifi) but that wasn't an issue when I switched to 11.  And no, no overheating issues.  I have a Cryorig single tower cooler that keeps temps very low most of the time, like below 55c idle since that's where my 0% fan curve is set

38 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Well when I upgrade my new mb should have TPM2 built in.  My current one has some workaround or something for it (x470 gaming 5 wifi) but that wasn't an issue when I switched to 11.  And no, no overheating issues.  I have a Cryorig single tower cooler that keeps temps very low most of the time, like below 55c idle since that's where my 0% fan curve is set

How about DDU? Drivers can get finicky If you install version ontop of version even using "Perform Clean Install" option. It definitely sounds kid of driver related. Your GPU wouldt happen to be a EVGA card would it?

17 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

How about DDU? Drivers can get finicky If you install version ontop of version even using "Perform Clean Install" option. It definitely sounds kid of driver related.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I ran DDU, I will make another reply if the issue persists.  

17 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

Your GPU wouldt happen to be a EVGA card would it?

Founders Edition 3080 Ti 🙂 

Update, games still crash.  DDU was not successful

Try using BoostLock for the GPU, update mobo bios, or turn enabled 5G encoding and resizable bar on in bios. See if that helps. Could be RAM related maybe since we rolled out the SSD or at least does not directly point to it anymore.

What kind of Error does it give. Or is it just throwing you to desktop.

3 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

Try using BoostLock for the GPU, update mobo bios, or turn enabled 5G encoding and resizable bar on in bios. See if that helps. Could be RAM related maybe since we rolled out the SSD or at least does not directly point to it anymore.

I've updated my BIOS now and enabled Above 4G Encoding in BIOS.

Resizable BAR is not enabled and the updater says my system does not support it.  

On 5/9/2023 at 2:58 PM, ka_re_t said:

I've updated my BIOS now and enabled Above 4G Encoding in BIOS.

Resizable BAR is not enabled and the updater says my system does not support it.  

Interesting depending on mobo 2600X and 3080TI should allow ReBAR.