US Browser and OS market share trends over the last decade

Obioban
On 5/3/2023 at 9:08 AM, TempestCatto said:

Thanks Windows 11

I have to agree with @Senzelian on this. I don't think Windows 11 really had anything to do much with the decline. You have to consider that in the last decade Microsoft both has seen more competition and had a few flops. Between Phones, Tablets and Chromebooks Microsoft is seeing more competition. There are people who dont own a standard computer, some only use their phone or maybe a tablet. Google has done a lot of work to ensure Chromebooks have become the standard for education and have them priced very competitively. 

Gone are the days where everyone had their own computer running Windows. In some cases a family might have 1 Windows computer and every one just uses phones, tablets or Chromebooks for the day to day. As far as Apple in concerned. iOS has seen a lot of growth, thats because iPhones are very popular in the US. MacOS at least looking at that chart, yes has seen growth in market share but at a much slower rate. 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, Senzelian said:

The graph starts shortly after the Win7 release. It looks to me that Win11 brought the decline to a halt. 

I dont think Windows 11 stopped the decline, I think the market just stabilized. Microsoft still has a big hold on business users which is why I think the shrinking market share stopped where it did. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I dont think Windows 11 stopped the decline, I think the market just stabilized. Microsoft still has a big hold on business users which is why I think the shrinking market share stopped where it did. 

I work for Microsoft's largest customer and our numbers are reporting a decline in Windows users since the introduction of MacOS at the company.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:35 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

actual numbers came out today-- actual numbers were 30% (article above said 40%), which is on par with the industry-- and especially not bad when you consider it's the year after M1 release, which LOTS of people were waiting for. 

8 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I work for Microsoft's largest customer and our numbers are reporting a decline in Windows users since the introduction of MacOS at the company.

But you’re one company. Not all are ditching Microsoft. Like I said, the market is saturated now. There are many options, if there are going to be growth or declines it’s probably going to be negligible at this point. Unless someone does something very innovative. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Unless someone does something very innovative. 

You mean like introducing a new chip like the M1? 🫠

The picture of the chart OP posted is for GLOBAL. Yet, the numbers they posted for mac is for US only. This is why it's confusing to some people.

Here's a proper chart that reflects the actual numbers for the US.

image.thumb.png.d71d896ea614d605cb3fe767f938dfde.png

There's a big uptick in early 2020, after which it stagnates. I'll give you one guess as to what happened.

Work from home and students wanting a laptop, gov subsidies, etc... My college was paying upward of $1k on a new laptop, you just had to pay the difference if it was more expensive. Users who otherwise wouldn't have bought one due to price, went ahead and got themselves shiny new macs.

In Canada, OSX usage went from 8.58% to 25.45%. Not that impressive when you consider it's been hovering around 20% since 2015. Also got a small uptick in early 2020 that remained constant.

image.thumb.png.6b40dbd2c456b027c3625c9dc0bec9b4.png

All in all, pretty meaningless.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm not sure how you can look at either of the graphs above and see it as meaningless. MacOS and Windows marketshare are pretty clearly converging-- a start contrast from back in the day, when windows had 95% marketshare.

That also seems likely to being an accelerating trend-- the #1 reason to not get a Mac is less software compatibility. The larger the MacOS marketshare, the more likely XYZ software will have a Mac version. The more that happens, the less people are forced into Windows.