PCI-e conversion on Asus X570 E

Hi,

I currently have in my system RTX 2080 super and was thinking about adding some Intel Arc GPU to run everything else while Im gaming.

The question is whether I can run both of my GPUs in PCI-e 3.0 16x when the manual says that it supports dual GPU with PCI-e 4.0 both in 8x, because as far as Im concerned PCI-e 4 speeds are technically doubled compared to PCI-e 3.0 (Yes I know that the Intel Arc GPU can run PCI-e 4.0 and it would be far better for it).

The system has AMD 3700X inside and technically could house a 5000 series processor in the future.

Of course the issue with the lagging of the Youtube content could be somewhere else and I welcome any other tips for "resolving" this 馃檪

Edit: I mentioned that the browers is sluggish with video content while gaming, from my observations I found out that my GPU utilization is 99% while gaming, even without the browser opened. My internet speed also isnt the culprit as I have 500/500 fiber optics running here. My main focus about finding out how many PCI-e 3.0 lanes my motherboard supports when the manual only mentions PCI-e 4.0.

28 minutes ago, Adamator_Cz said:

Hi,

I currently have in my system RTX 2080 super and was thinking about adding some Intel Arc GPU to run everything else while Im gaming.

The question is whether I can run both of my GPUs in PCI-e 3.0 16x when the manual says that it supports dual GPU with PCI-e 4.0 both in 8x, because as far as Im concerned PCI-e 4 speeds are technically doubled compared to PCI-e 3.0 (Yes I know that the Intel Arc GPU can run PCI-e 4.0 and it would be far better for it).

The system has AMD 3700X inside and technically could house a 5000 series processor in the future.

Of course the issue with the lagging of the Youtube content could be somewhere else and I welcome any other tips for "resolving" this 馃檪

Your 2080 is only gen 3, not gen 4. Regardless of what the motherboard is capable of, the card will never run at gen 4 speeds. The best you will get is gen 3x8.

26 minutes ago, Adamator_Cz said:

Hi,

No to running both at once. The AMD 3700X is a good CPU. So your SYSTEM runs good besides Youtube? Not knowing any other details, if it is lagging, that most likely is your ISP, could be a slow connection. Are you on WI-FI?

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But聽 the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,聽 770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

Your issues with YouTube are related to your internet connection to their servers, most likely caused by something on your end, including insufficient bandwidth. You would waste your money buying an Arc GPU in an attempt to "solve" this issue.聽

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" -聽Edward I. Koch

11 hours ago, Trinity-W said:

No to running both at once. The AMD 3700X is a good CPU. So your SYSTEM runs good besides Youtube? Not knowing any other details, if it is lagging, that most likely is your ISP, could be a slow connection. Are you on WI-FI?

The problem is when I play any like new game and want to run Youtube in Chrome beside it on my other monitor, I think it might be thanks to HW acceleration not catching up or the PC having issues with not accessing the RAM as fast. Basically when I play games and want to watch Youtube at the same time, Chrome becomes really laggy, especially Youtube. Internet shouldnt be the problem because of 500/500 fiber optics.

7 hours ago, Adamator_Cz said:

The problem is when I play any like new game and want to run Youtube in Chrome beside it on my other monitor, I think it might be thanks to HW acceleration not catching up or the PC having issues with not accessing the RAM as fast. Basically when I play games and want to watch Youtube at the same time, Chrome becomes really laggy, especially Youtube. Internet shouldnt be the problem because of 500/500 fiber optics.

Have you tried using FIREFOX? or OPERA GAMING? I'd give these a try, see if you get same results, post back.

It shouldn't be laggy with your spec, there is a problem. I'd uninstall Chrome, try another browser.

If it is laggy just streaming on Youtube that would normally be to do with Internet connection but if the browser is laggy itself there is a problem. For start do a fresh install of chrome.

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But聽 the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,聽 770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

1 hour ago, Trinity-W said:

Have you tried using FIREFOX? or OPERA GAMING? I'd give these a try, see if you get same results, post back.

It shouldn't be laggy with your spec, there is a problem. I'd uninstall Chrome, try another browser.

If it is laggy just streaming on Youtube that would normally be to do with Internet connection but if the browser is laggy itself there is a problem. For start do a fresh install of chrome.

I was trying to look at the GPU utilization and its at 99% while playing a game, so thats why the browser might be choking.

Also, I came looking for whether my Motherboard could run two PCI-e 3.0 connected GPUs, both in 16x, because the manual only specifies dual configuration for PCI-e 4.0 which would be 8x for both cards. Also not sure how my CPU affects this.

20 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Your 2080 is only gen 3, not gen 4. Regardless of what the motherboard is capable of, the card will never run at gen 4 speeds. The best you will get is gen 3x8.

I was thinking when the motherboard supports PCI-e 4.0 16x, if it could run both of the cards at PCI-e 3.0 both 16x, Im not sure if its possible to do this conversion or not, thats the main question of the topic 馃槃 But thanks anyways

2 hours ago, Adamator_Cz said:

I was thinking when the motherboard supports PCI-e 4.0 16x, if it could run both of the cards at PCI-e 3.0 both 16x, Im not sure if its possible to do this conversion or not, thats the main question of the topic 馃槃 But thanks anyways

No, the bandwidth might be the same, but it doesn't work the way you want it to. A gen 4 x8 can't turn into a gen 3 x16. When you bifurcate, you are essentially physically diverting half of the lanes to the second slot.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:30 AM, Blue4130 said:

No, the bandwidth might be the same, but it doesn't work the way you want it to. A gen 4 x8 can't turn into a gen 3 x16. When you bifurcate, you are essentially physically diverting half of the lanes to the second slot.

And I suppose there is not any additional PCI-e board that could make this happen? Or is there any motherboard that could handle one pcie 3.0 16x, pcie 4.0 16x and two NVME 4.0 SSDs?

On 5/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, Adamator_Cz said:

. My main focus about finding out how many PCI-e 3.0 lanes my motherboard supports when the manual only mentions PCI-e 4.0.

It will support the same amount as pci-e gen 4. Lanes are backwards compatible. If you put a gen 3 card in a gen 4 lane, it will work just fine at the gen 3 speeds.

8 hours ago, Adamator_Cz said:

And I suppose there is not any additional PCI-e board that could make this happen? Or is there any motherboard that could handle one pcie 3.0 16x, pcie 4.0 16x and two NVME 4.0 SSDs?

You are getting into the server motherboard territory. What you want doesn't exist in consumer platforms. As for handling gen3 and gen 4 at the same time, any board that can handle gen 4 can also handle gen 3, so what you are looking for is a board that has multiple x16 slots. There are no consumer boards that I know of that have multiple full x16 slots(electrically).