What do you want in a new Nintendo console?

RVRY

The Switch just began its 7th year on the market a few months ago and I'm curious what you guys want Nintendo to do next.

I personally want them to bring back social features similar to Miiverse.

Having the miiverse again would be nice, however it would also be nice to have a legacy game section where you could buy the older games like goldeneye or og animal crossing instead of the weird thing they have now that requires their subscription thing. Idk just thinking out loud.

Something unique. Let PS6 and XBOX Infinity (or whatever) compete for the dollars of ultra high-end gamers who want shiny 4K ultra experiences, and focus on being innovative. Maybe a true 3D platform with a built-in projector, like what Virtual Boy could have been if they'd waited for the technology to pull it off to actually exist. Or a Switch 2/3DS successor kind of thing, with a retractable second screen that allows for 3D effects. Bonus points if they create controllers that can mimic the actual movements of the tools they're building into games and provide tactile feedback. So when you play Minecraft, banging something with your hammer results in the controller vibrating back at you. When you shoot an arrow in Zelda, there's a "twang" feeling as you release. When you punch a block in the latest Mario Bros sequel, your controller jolts hard as you hit it.

Think of the potential for older games in VR there too. Play Goldeneye from inside the game? Actually sit in Mario's Kart while playing Mario Kart?

I do think 3D or VR will play some kind of role, but I don't expect that to mean Nintendo shoots for 4K 60FPS. I think they're more likely to target higher framerates at lower resolution to keep costs down and keep the spirit of previous Nintendo consoles, which have targeted value over high-end specs since the Wii hit the market 15 years ago (holy hell).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I do think ... VR will play some kind of role, but I don't expect that to mean Nintendo shoots for 4K 60FPS.

Nintendo has a history of making niche tech mainstream.

If anybody can make VR mainstream it wouldn't be Apple, it would be Nintendo selling a $300 headset at Target.

9 minutes ago, RVRY said:

Nintendo has a history of making niche tech mainstream.

If anybody can make VR mainstream it wouldn't be Apple, it would be Nintendo selling a headset for $300 at Target. But that's just my opinion. 

Except the problem is that VR equipment is still very expensive. The only reason the Meta Quest 2 was previously $300 was because Facebook has the $$$ to either sell at a loss or subsidize the hell out of it with advertisements. The enterprise version of the Quest 2 was $800!

Sony's VR2 is a whopping $550 and obviously it needs the PS5 to even run.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

21 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Except the problem is that VR equipment is still very expensive. The only reason the Meta Quest 2 was previously $300 was because Facebook has the $$$ to either sell at a loss or subsidize the hell out of it with advertisements. The enterprise version of the Quest 2 was $800!

Sony's VR2 is a whopping $550 and obviously it needs the PS5 to even run.

Nintendo doesn't need to make something as powerful as a PS5 nor do they need to make money off of the hardware like Meta.

Nintendo is in a position where they make money off of subscriptions, accessories, and game sales. 

They're also capable of using tech like foveated rendering, asynchronous projection, and DLSS to squeeze more performance out of weaker hardware if they stick with Nvidia. 

honestly just a more powerful version/successor  of the switch, I think thats also the most likely scenario especially given Nintendo's history of backwards compatibility and the success and size of the library with the switch. As for features, I would like a better friend system... friend codes suck, also customization of the main home screen

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

1 hour ago, DesolationGod said:

honestly just a more powerful version/successor  of the switch, I think thats also the most likely scenario especially given Nintendo's history of backwards compatibility and the success and size of the library with the switch. As for features, I would like a better friend system... friend codes suck, also customization of the main home screen

This.

I've bought more games on my Switch due to the portability factor. I just want more of that.

Great avatar, btw. Here's hoping they can finally win the Super Bowl.

Hall effect sticks. Haven't gotten any drift yet in my Joycons nor Pro Controller, but they supposedly all use the same sticks these days and it's super frustrating how quickly my DualSense developed very bad drift. But if the Dreamcast could have Hall effect sticks with the bundled controller 25 years ago why the hell can't we have them today? Other than maybe planned obsolescence? 

On 5/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, IgniVellex said:

Having the miiverse again would be nice, however it would also be nice to have a legacy game section where you could buy the older games like goldeneye or og animal crossing instead of the weird thing they have now that requires their subscription thing. Idk just thinking out loud.

Oh, I miss Miiverse so much. And themes. And music on the menus... but in all honesty, I don't think we are (ever) getting those back.

I think we they are planning "Switch 2", better in every way but not a game changer. I think this is the time that Nintendo will play it safe for a change.