A future 3000€ workstation PC. Did I make the good decisions?

KazerLight
3 minutes ago, KazerLight said:

But the radiator of the AIO is supposed to accumulate the heat and the fans must help evacuate that heat. So why should these fans be used as intake? They would put the heat back in the case, would they? 

I recommend a front and top intake as then you create a lot of positive pressure. Leave the back open and the air will eject at pretty high velocity out.

The front intake basically keeps the gpu cool and fresh and keeps the hot intake from the top from reaching. The intake at the top means the cpu gets full fresh air.

So basically both parts get the most fresh air as possible.

Btw heat rising and creating convection is a miniscule force. The moment any mechanical air movement happens convection is ruined.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I recommend a front and top intake as then you create a lot of positive pressure. Leave the back open and the air will eject at pretty high velocity out.

The front intake basically keeps the gpu cool and fresh and keeps the hot intake from the top from reaching. The intake at the top means the cpu gets full fresh air.

So basically both parts get the most fresh air as possible.

Btw heat rising and creating convection is a miniscule force. The moment any mechanical air movement happens convection is ruined.

I'm deeply amazed by your knowledge. It's so cool to be able to talk with someone like you! 

Just now, KazerLight said:

Yeah actually I don't care about electricity cost, since it's the company that I worked with that pays the bills lol. So, if my room is cool enough, and that I don't overclock or care about consumption, should I got Intel instead? 

image.png.8778db8278cc7bc3cf23389abd28f125.png

They are really in the margin of error of eachother

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/13th-gen-intel-core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/

Go to the davinci results

It's a codec by codec beatdown basically. So depending on the codec you use and the raw files one might be better than the other. But it's really in margin of error.

One thing amd has is that they have 1 more cpu generation on the platform so thats a bonus. Intel is normally cheaper to buy so yeah it's a tossup.

1 minute ago, KazerLight said:

I'm deeply amazed by your knowledge. It's so cool to be able to talk with someone like you! 

It's all accumulation, learning from others and using good references.

I am also constantly checking if all I am saying is correct as can be.

Good thing you made me check again again about the 420. The fun thing about google is that it will give you personalized results and apparently it wanted me to be more negative, a quick browser switch and boom positive results!

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

image.png.8778db8278cc7bc3cf23389abd28f125.png

They are really in the margin of error of eachother

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/13th-gen-intel-core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/

Go to the davinci results

It's a codec by codec beatdown basically. So depending on the codec you use and the raw files one might be better than the other. But it's really in margin of error.

One thing amd has is that they have 1 more cpu generation on the platform so thats a bonus. Intel is normally cheaper to buy so yeah it's a tossup.

OK I see. Yeah I better stick with AMD for the cpu then. Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's all accumulation, learning from others and using good references.

I am also constantly checking if all I am saying is correct as can be.

Good thing you made me check again again about the 420. The fun thing about google is that it will give you personalized results and apparently it wanted me to be more negative, a quick browser switch and boom positive results!

Lol. 

Thanks for everything. Tomorrow I'll redo a new updated list, including everything you suggested me, and I'll ask you again, if you don't mind, if I'm on the right path 😄

47 minutes ago, jaslion said:

@Bob__ No attack I type things in caps when they are very important to attract attention :p. Just a heads up that for productivity the x3d chips are noticeably worse.

No issue im not that great at this PC thing anyway hence my signature

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Read my comment on that. Ocing is dead in this day and age. The cpu's are running pretty much at limit. That and if you do oc you add so much heat even a custom loop can't do it usually. That or the far more common issue that the cpu's aren't stable.

Another fun issue that is common is that the oc "worked" but when you do cinebench scoring or something else easily repeatable with a score the score is lower. This is called a failed succesfull oc where the cpu is going in safety but the clockspeeds aren't showing that.

Not really true on the lower end overclockable things they are fine with getting thrown up like 300-400 MHZ for example I have a i5-13600K that gets about 10-12% more in cinebench since being OC'ed and it says at that clock. It also thermal throttles within 5 minutes and draws about 300-325W so I mean kinda good ish tradeoff. My max cinebench is 26500 compared to 23500 stock

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

1 hour ago, KazerLight said:

There's no x3d anywhere on the list? 

Ops, my bad, saw another posting listing a x3d and got confused.

And 96gb isn't a bit too much for my use case? 

Not really that knowledgeable with resolve, but I've seen some people mentioning that they used ~70GB for 8k editing, so 64gb might be a bit too close.

Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I'm not into video editing stuff.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

10 hours ago, Bob__ said:

up like 300-400 MHZ for example I have a i5-13600K that gets about 10-12% more in cinebench

You're lucky because most dont even do 200

9 hours ago, igormp said:

70GB for 8k editing, so 64gb might be a bit too close.

Absolutly true 128gb isnt a luxury with 8k

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

really I got mine to like ~5.8 GHZ but it thermal throttles too fast, looking at the icegiant copper prototypes which they said they could lend me or some kinda tec cooler. Imma just push this thing to the limits

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Absolutly true 128gb isnt a luxury with 8k

Howdy!

Alright, I've updated my list according to your recommendations.

For an 8K video editing workstation: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/gmZwRv

(I didn't pick the Phanteks case because of availability/price in my country. Instead, I've chosen the Lian Li Lancool 216, which has two immense fans in the front and 360mm top mounting AIO support. By the way, will I need the pre-installed exhaust fan on the back, or do you recommend removing it?)

On the other side, if I would only do 4K editing, but with videos that remain in RAW and with a lot of color grading, would 64 GB be enough? And if so, as I'd be removing 250€ from the total price, which component should I add these 250€?

Also, for both scenarios, will I expect a smooth experience without any real flaws in performance? I'm worried about crashes, freezes, and overall stability.

Another thing: is there a big performance difference between dual-channel and quad-channel?

Howdy!

Alright, I've updated my list according to your recommendations.

For an 8K video editing workstation: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/gmZwRv

(I didn't pick the Phanteks case because of availability/price in my country. Instead, I've chosen the Lian Li Lancool 216, which has two immense fans in the front and 360mm top mounting AIO support. By the way, will I need the pre-installed exhaust fan on the back, or do you recommend removing it?)

On the other side, if I would only do 4K editing, but with videos that remain in RAW and with a lot of color grading, would 64 GB be enough? And if so, as I'd be removing 250€ from the total price, which component should I add these 250€?

Also, for both scenarios, will I expect a smooth experience without any real flaws in performance? I'm worried about crashes, freezes, and overall stability.

You won't be reaching 6000MHz with 4 sticks, go with 5200MHz to be safe. 

Also, why not 2x48GB? I've seen reports that those work out of the box easier than 32gb sticks, and would still allow you to upgrade later if needed. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

You won't be reaching 6000MHz with 4 sticks, go with 5200MHz to be safe. 

Also, why not 2x48GB? I've seen reports that those work out of the box easier than 32gb sticks, and would still allow you to upgrade later if needed. 

Like these ones?

They don't seem to support EXPO, only XMP. Could this be a problem?

Also, why wouldn't I reach 6000MHz with 4 sticks?

2 hours ago, KazerLight said:

will I need the pre-installed exhaust fan on the back, or do you recommend removing it?)

Probably wont do anything better if its there since there will be so much air movement 😛 so feel free to remove

And if so, as I'd be removing 250€ from the total price, which component should I add these 250€?

Nothing for 250 you canr get anything better than ram

Btw you really want cl36 as cl40 is very slow. However I recommend you look at the gigabyte site and ONLY get a verified 128gb kit because 4stick at that capacity is pushing compatibility hard

Another thing: is there a big performance difference between dual-channel and quad-channel?

You can only do dual channel am5 doesnt support more

All should be fine. I do recommend a bios update as gigabyte is rolling out a overvoltage patch for ryzen x3d chips that had issues. It adds extra safety features that were not working due to a bug.

The only issue would be ram but that is solved by getting a tested kit at these capacities.

@igormp is correct about it being hard to go full speed with 4 sticks

Like these ones?

They don't seem to support EXPO, only XMP. Could this be a problem?

Also, why wouldn't I reach 6000MHz with 4 sticks?

Yup, those ones should do! A perfect balance between 64 and 128gb, both in capacity and cost, while also leaving room for future upgrades 🙂

It should work fine with just XMP, people are even reporting 4 of those works way better than 4x32gb sticks for some reason. With 128gb you'd be stuck at 4400~4600MHz, while with 192GB people are managing 5200MHz out of the box without issues.

4 high-density sticks push the memory controller way too hard, think of it as there being many bits for it to be able to take care of at once, so you need to slow down things for it to work (ofc that's a really dumbed down way to show it).

You can read more about it in the neighbor forum:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/7950x-i-want-4x32gb-unless-it-sucks-does-it-suck/189825

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

Yup, those ones should do! A perfect balance between 64 and 128gb, both in capacity and cost, while also leaving room for future upgrades 🙂

It should work fine with just XMP, people are even reporting 4 of those works way better than 4x32gb sticks for some reason. With 128gb you'd be stuck at 4400~4600MHz, while with 192GB people are managing 5200MHz out of the box without issues.

4 high-density sticks push the memory controller way too hard, think of it as there being many bits for it to be able to take care of at once, so you need to slow down things for it to work (ofc that's a really dumbed down way to show it).

You can read more about it in the neighbor forum:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/7950x-i-want-4x32gb-unless-it-sucks-does-it-suck/189825

Oh oh, I don't think the motherboard I've chosen supports 48 GB sticks.

image.thumb.png.dfc17cbb3f2cecf4fbbb5dd258299c8b.png

4 minutes ago, KazerLight said:

Oh oh, I don't think the motherboard I've chosen supports 48 GB sticks.

image.thumb.png.dfc17cbb3f2cecf4fbbb5dd258299c8b.png

Those sticks are new, so most mobos that were released previous to their existence don't list them in the specs. However, if you look at the bios updates available, there's one adding support for those sticks:

image.thumb.png.ce451ad3823afcc6804c9674f5de084b.png

Since it has Q-Flash, you can update the bios without needing the CPU or RAM to be plugged in.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

30 minutes ago, igormp said:

Those sticks are new, so most mobos that were released previous to their existence don't list them in the specs. However, if you look at the bios updates available, there's one adding support for those sticks:

image.thumb.png.ce451ad3823afcc6804c9674f5de084b.png

Since it has Q-Flash, you can update the bios without needing the CPU or RAM to be plugged in.

image.thumb.png.53c90c16026561672ea87343623ff654.png

Thank you! What about this sentence? Should I stay at 5200 Mhz and don't go higher? Would I have got better performances at 5600 Mhz?

14 minutes ago, KazerLight said:

Should I stay at 5200 Mhz and don't go higher?

I'd recommend doing so, yes, specially if the sticks are only rated for 5200MHz.

14 minutes ago, KazerLight said:

Would I have got better performances at 5600 Mhz?

You would, but it'd be marginal, not worth the trouble IMO.

Lenovo N23 Yoga