Need a quick check on my upgraded build

Budget (including currency): 1500€ - I am willing to go a little bit (max. 100€-150€) beyond that budget for more performance

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Programming/Game Dev, Web surfing, 1440p High Gaming (Minecraft, GTA V, Simulators like Euro Truck Simulator 2), VR (Beatsaber, Boneworks, ...) - I really like high definition gaming

Existing PC:

I made a post on thursday asking for help on my upgrade with VFIO - this idea is now scratched as in no VFIO. Because of this decision I've managed to squeeze in a bit better graphics card.

I'll reuse the monitors and the storage, everything else will be used to upgrade my home server.

Things to note/questions on the proposed upgrade build below:

• As already stated in the other post I mainly use Linux + Windows 10 dual boot => AMD GPU
  • I'm not sure if I should go AMD or Intel => Does AMD smart access memory work well with Intel CPUs and if so what CPU would match my selected GPU?
  • I want to do some CPU/GPU overclocking => Is the motherboard + PSU "good enough" for that?
  • I've heard that almost all AM5 motherboards have long boot times except for Gigabyte => How widespread is that issue?
  • Compatibility thing I've checked:
    • Case: CPU cooler height, GPU length, PSU size
    • Motherboard: CPU, RAM, M.2 SSD
    • CPU cooler: RAM clearance
  • PSU sourced with the help of this list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Here is my upgraded build with my local prices sourced from https://geizhals.at/ (mylemon as vendor most of the time):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€336.79)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.90)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€211.90)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  (€109.80)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  (€603.89)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.79)
Power Supply: Deepcool PQ850M 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€132.91)
Total: €1569.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-30 03:50 CEST+0200

Thank you for your input!

Buncha uneccesary sidegrades

Just need a cpu + mobo + gpu swap though if you insist on ryzen also a ram swap for ddr5

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rYLkVw

7900 + 7900xt + 32gb 6000c32 and a better board than the b650 gaming x ax (extra type c)

For the parts thatll be swapped you can resell em for like 250-350€ in total to offset upgrade cost

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Buncha uneccesary sidegrades

Just need a cpu + mobo + gpu swap though if you insist on ryzen also a ram swap for ddr5

What Intel CPU would you recommend if I wanted to go that route?

And what about the PSU? It has been at least 10 years in use - daily. Shouldn't that be replaced?

1 hour ago, SebiAi said:

What Intel CPU would you recommend if I wanted to go that route?

And what about the PSU? It has been at least 10 years in use - daily. Shouldn't that be replaced?

For intel itd be 13700k + z690 + 32gb ddr4 3200c16/3600c18, abit cheaper than ryzen but power consumption will eat up those savings in no time

As for the psu its still fine but definitely ageing, with the cost offset of the parts that will be sold when the replacements arrive you can swap the psu out for a decent 750-850w unit, i reccomend buying used as youll get pretty big discounts on quality units, but if you arent into that 50% discount with minimal risk (psus that have been working for awhile are unlikely to spontaneously die unless over 10 years old but still unlikely anyways) then find the cheapest new 750-850w gold that doesnt have significant amounts of reported failiures (ex giga pgm, explosion issues, or random failiure) and thatll do, tierlists are a decent reference but keep in mind that they tend to base off rather meaningless specsheets so dont spend a shitton to get an a tier when theres literally no diff between that and a b or c tier or whatever arbitrary ass tiers they use i really dont follow psu tierlists as i evaluate with my own methods

On 4/30/2023 at 6:01 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rYLkVw

7900 + 7900xt + 32gb 6000c32 and a better board than the b650 gaming x ax (extra type c)

Why exactly did you choose this motherboard? According to this motherboard review from Hardware Unboxed the ASUS boards are worst than the Gigabyte board in every test he conducted.  Even with a bit more plugs (USB-C, Fan headers, PCIe) I would still go with the Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard I've selected before.

And as I will be dual booting Windows I want a fast boot time.

3 hours ago, SebiAi said:

Why exactly did you choose this motherboard? According to this motherboard review from Hardware Unboxed the ASUS boards are worst than the Gigabyte board in every test he conducted.  Even with a bit more plugs (USB-C, Fan headers, PCIe) I would still go with the Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard I've selected before.

And as I will be dual booting Windows I want a fast boot time.

Those are lower end asus prime boards not the tuf boards

So you expect the top end crosshair to overheat linke their lowend garbage prime boards? As stupid as those boards are thats a bullshit assumption

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Those are lower end asus prime boards not the tuf boards

So you expect the top end crosshair to overheat linke their lowend garbage prime boards? As stupid as those boards are thats a bullshit assumption

Yes I am assuming that because if the prime boards aka. the "lowend garbage prime boards" under perform and have slower boot times compared to Gigabytes low end boards (never mind the other "problems" including the X3D shenanigans - yes I know there was also some Gigabyte boards which fried the GPU which was still a smaller fuck up according to Gamers Nexus) then the high end boards might also have some problems.

At least I KNOW from the test video that this particular Gigabyte board is good and I don't need a second USB-C Port as I've never even used one on my current MB - although only 2 fan headers on the Gigabyte MB is a bit scarce.

What is your perspective on that?

Something I noticed: The ram on the pcpartpicker list is not listed on the memory support list on the ASUS and the Gigabyte board. I think I'll go with this supported (on Gigabyte), slightly more expensive G.Skill kit instead.

7 minutes ago, SebiAi said:

Something I noticed: The ram on the pcpartpicker list is not listed on the memory support list on the ASUS and the Gigabyte board. I think I'll go with this supported (on Gigabyte), slightly more expensive G.Skill kit instead.

Literally the same thing but the flare is preffered cause it has an expo profile and both have the same ram ic btw and no board doesnt support hynix a die cause itd be suicide to not be compatible with the best ddr5 ic atm for overclocking

21 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Literally the same thing but the flare is preffered cause it has an expo profile and both have the same ram ic btw and no board doesnt support hynix a die cause itd be suicide to not be compatible with the best ddr5 ic atm for overclocking

Aight if u say so