My knowledge is outdated. I can't be the only one.

little_dude

I am 38 years old, and like many people my age, we used to do computers, then got caught up in working land, and have lost touch with the current tech market. So we watch Linus to help. I know enough to not want a typical off the shelf desktop, but not enough to build one myself. I am in need of a new computer and am at a crossroads.

What if LTT teamed up with a system integrator. They took one of the "this worked really well" configurations from a video, and sold a version of that computer to those of us who: 1 - Trust the LTT team 2 - Do not have the time and energy to relearn the computer market 3 - Are willing to pay the price for the right setup. 4 - Don't need the "custom to our needs" PC, just something good.

I am looking to purchase a computer for my son, it needs certain specs to run the programs his advanced learning curriculum. I don't want to bother my computer literate brother for a computer build, because lets face it, everyone does that to him. Ooooo Peter knows how to build computers, he's a super smart geek. Peter can you build me a computer? To do what?  Oh you know, just gaming....

I bet that's the worst.

9 minutes ago, little_dude said:

I don't want to bother my computer literate brother for a computer build, because lets face it, everyone does that to him.

The New Builds and Planning subforum exists so you don't have to 🙂

It's full of people who know the current technology and are willing to help:

https://linustechtips.com/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, little_dude said:

I am 38 years old, and like many people my age, we used to do computers, then got caught up in working land, and have lost touch with the current tech market.

the current tech market is stupid anyways. a 12th gen i3 has the same number of cores and threads as a 7700K, and because of the newer architecture is basically as fast as that cpu. 

imo unless you need top end performance the high end tech market makes no sense at all. a core i3 paired with a midrange gpu is nowhere near slow... most software just hasn't caught up to the rapid advancement in power at the high end. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, little_dude said:

I am 38 years old, and like many people my age, we used to do computers, then got caught up in working land, and have lost touch with the current tech market.

I was thinking like that for a while until about 2019.  Upgraded my own PC's in the 90's built my own in the early 00's..  Then like a lot of people I found out that a laptop could do 100% of what I wanted to do well enough without no fuss no muss no cleanup.  

Then I built another computer.  Here is my honest opinion. 

IF you have ever built a computer in the past you can build one now.  In fact it's easier in most ways.  There are many things one had to worry about it the past that are just not a concern anymore.  Like setting the jumpers or dip switches on the motherboard so the IRQ lines would be just so.  No having to struggle with ribbon cables for your IDE Hard Drive for CD rom drive.  I would suggest if you are trying to build a new PC for the first time in a while a small form factor build is the way to go.  If you ever installed ram in a SIMM slot or installed cards back then they were 8 bit ISA bus... then you can do likewise now. 

What I think changes with age... is the novelty of fiddling with computer parts wears off.   I enjoy the build to the extent that I know I will enjoy years of BS free usage.   For a lot of very tech savvy people of a certain age... that just means ponying up for someone to build it for you then getting on with life. 

1 hour ago, little_dude said:

I am 38 years old, and like many people my age, we used to do computers, then got caught up in working land, and have lost touch with the current tech market. So we watch Linus to help. I know enough to not want a typical off the shelf desktop, but not enough to build one myself. I am in need of a new computer and am at a crossroads.

What if LTT teamed up with a system integrator. They took one of the "this worked really well" configurations from a video, and sold a version of that computer to those of us who: 1 - Trust the LTT team 2 - Do not have the time and energy to relearn the computer market 3 - Are willing to pay the price for the right setup. 4 - Don't need the "custom to our needs" PC, just something good.

I am looking to purchase a computer for my son, it needs certain specs to run the programs his advanced learning curriculum. I don't want to bother my computer literate brother for a computer build, because lets face it, everyone does that to him. Ooooo Peter knows how to build computers, he's a super smart geek. Peter can you build me a computer? To do what?  Oh you know, just gaming....

I bet that's the worst.

IMHO, What LLT concocted could easily be made bad by the SI if they are incompetent enough.

And if the system is faulty either by SI's incompetence or due to factory defect or something, most likely LTT will receive some critics as well.

Plus... price changes.

This forum has a New Builds subforum where you can ask knowledgeable people to give you parts list to buy that fits your budget. Or simply ask people's opinion of a prebuilt setup that you got your eye on.

As for the building part... the last time I built a PC before my current one was like... 2010. Built my current one with just a little difficulty (Mainly due to there wasn't an M.2, AIO, & RGB back then).

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.