NAS and mediaserver! Where do I start? (mostly software/setup)

Krydolph

Budget (including currency): na

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS and mediaserver (plex?) for starters, but might add more later

Other details

i5 6600

16gb ram

I am pretty good with all the hardware, and windows. But I never touched Linux or set up a server. Is there some good setup guides? The closer to "for dummies" the better.

I do have some more "personal" questions about my project

Is 16gb enough?

Is no GPU ok? (I have an older AMD, but its my understanding it isn't really needed?)

I have a 4 and 6tb "old" disks, and then I probably buy some more, will different disks be a problem?

Can I add more later? (I would like to just start with that, and do a test setup, and then get the extra disks when I have an idea about what I am doing)

What kind of raid should I use? (Enough so a disk can die without I am getting in too much trouble)

(I also have a 320gb drive I plan to use for system, as I understood it was best for a separate for this)

I know there is stuff like jellyfin, but plex has apps on almost anything, and unless there is really good reasons for something else, I plan to use that, just for the more "plug and play" aspect of it.

tldr, most important, where do I find some good guides I can follow step by step to get this project off the ground?

I recently started using Unraid and I see why so many people like it. I would recommend giving it a shot. Since the default setup is JBOD you can always add another drive whenever you want. It's really easy to add a parity drive, and a cache drive. VM and app management has been really good as well.

I had previously been using Xpenology for a few years and Unraid is miles better IMO.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Linux route is surely advisdable as noted above.

But i've personally had great succes just using Windows (Enterprise) Storage Spaces, with an array of 5x 4TB drives and 1 be redundant.
On the other hand, a friend of a friend did it with 2x 1TB drives and his system hangs/pauzes when copying lots of smaller files (phone-pictures).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I was thinking Linux, and that is what kind of scares me, because as I said, I never tried it.

So I have one vote for Unraid so far... Do people agree that is the best route?