New build, BSOD, wont boot to usb.

Skinless

Im at a loss with this pc. I had everything running smooth after the build, ran benchmarks and played games while keeping a close eye on temperatures/resources. Then it bsod, first was a KMODE EXEMPTION NOT HANDLED, then a IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, before it would no longer boot windows. Automatic repairs did nothing or would crash again, until the pc would not load anything after msi loading screen and would not boot to usb. I bought a new M.2 to load windows onto and it worked after removing a stick of ram. So we tried again and during driver installation (using msi driver utility installation software) another bsod and crash, now it wont boot to usb and the 1 stick of ram trick doesnt work this time.

PC specs -

Windows 10 pro

I7-13700k

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4

2x16 DDR4 3600

Samsung 970 m.2 1T

Seasonic focus 750w gold

RTX 4070 TI

Ive tried reinstalling the windows media creation tool, even tried a win 11 tool. Used every usb port available. Turned off safe boot/smart boot. I dont get any indication leds from the motherboard. From bios everything seems to work fine, all components post. Cpu/xmp profiles are not active. Cleared cmos by bridging the jbat pins and removing the battery. I flashed the bios to most recent update dated 01/05/2023. After the first crash i did a memory diagnostic and it checked out fine. If i try to boot from hard drive its just stuck loading “preparing automatic repairs”. 

Everything in the build is new, it is also my first build. I even took it to a local shop which was a complete waste of time/money. 

@Skinless

Try and remove everything you dont need to boot/install windows. 

If you are going to re-install to a new SSD, remove any old SSD or HDD. Remove your GPU and plug your monitor into the motherboard. Remove one stick of RAM (You mentioned you did, try alternating between the two). Even better if you have a friend willing to loan you some DDR4. If you can, unplug any fancy keyboard you have and use a basic keyboard (Ex. If you have the RGB4000-inator from Corsair unplug it and use a simple keyboard).

Clear the CMOS (I think theres a button on the I/O shield for this) when the power supply is unplugged. 

Update the BIOS again. It looks like the newest version 7E06v15 is from 3/24/23.

Also try and boot into Safe mode and install drivers there https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

It looks like these issues are hardware or driver related, hence unplugging as much as you can. 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@Skinless

Try and remove everything you dont need to boot/install windows. 

If you are going to re-install to a new SSD, remove any old SSD or HDD. Remove your GPU and plug your monitor into the motherboard. Remove one stick of RAM (You mentioned you did, try alternating between the two). Even better if you have a friend willing to loan you some DDR4. If you can, unplug any fancy keyboard you have and use a basic keyboard (Ex. If you have the RGB4000-inator from Corsair unplug it and use a simple keyboard).

Clear the CMOS (I think theres a button on the I/O shield for this) when the power supply is unplugged. 

Update the BIOS again. It looks like the newest version 7E06v15 is from 3/24/23.

Also try and boot into Safe mode and install drivers there https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

It looks like these issues are hardware or driver related, hence unplugging as much as you can. 

Okay i did everything as you said, except the keyboard (i checked the closet and its been nothing but rgb nonsense for years). I alternated the ram sticks, and even the ram slots in the motherboard. Still will not boot to usb. Ive only had one m.2 drive installed this whole time. Could it be the motherboard? Should i get a regular keyboard and keep trying? 

3 hours ago, Skinless said:

Okay i did everything as you said, except the keyboard (i checked the closet and its been nothing but rgb nonsense for years). I alternated the ram sticks, and even the ram slots in the motherboard. Still will not boot to usb. Ive only had one m.2 drive installed this whole time. Could it be the motherboard? Should i get a regular keyboard and keep trying? 

I wouldnt think it would be the motherboard. Does the USB show up as a bootable device, it just doesn't do anything? 

Is your USB a bootable Windows 10 or 11? Try this and make a bootable Windows 10 USB:

1. Plug the USB drive into another computer

2. Open Command Prompt and do the following: (NOTE: This will completely wipe the flash drive. Make sure all important data is backed up)

diskpart
  #Accept UAC if prompted
List Disk
Select Disk X
  #Identify X by Looking at Disk ### and size. Find the size that matches your USB drive. Ex. Disk 1
Clean
  #Close Command Prompt

3. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open Run

4. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" and select OK

5. Find the USB drive from the list at the bottom.

6. Right click the Unallocated Partition and choose "New Simple Volume". Enter settings you want. You can click OK/Next through the whole thing though

7. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, or This link to download directly: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

8. Run the media creation tool. Once open, wait for it to "Get Ready" and accept the License agreement. 

9. Select "Create Installation Media" and hit next. If asked, Select "Burn to USB" and choose your USB drive. Don't make a .iso file

10. Wait for the download/install to finish.

Hit finish and when the tool closes try and boot your drive

12 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I wouldnt think it would be the motherboard. Does the USB show up as a bootable device, it just doesn't do anything? 

Is your USB a bootable Windows 10 or 11? Try this and make a bootable Windows 10 USB:

1. Plug the USB drive into another computer

2. Open Command Prompt and do the following: (NOTE: This will completely wipe the flash drive. Make sure all important data is backed up)

diskpart
  #Accept UAC if prompted
List Disk
Select Disk X
  #Identify X by Looking at Disk ### and size. Find the size that matches your USB drive. Ex. Disk 1
Clean
  #Close Command Prompt

3. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open Run

4. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" and select OK

5. Find the USB drive from the list at the bottom.

6. Right click the Unallocated Partition and choose "New Simple Volume". Enter settings you want. You can click OK/Next through the whole thing though

7. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, or This link to download directly: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

8. Run the media creation tool. Once open, wait for it to "Get Ready" and accept the License agreement. 

9. Select "Create Installation Media" and hit next. If asked, Select "Burn to USB" and choose your USB drive. Don't make a .iso file

10. Wait for the download/install to finish.

Hit finish and when the tool closes try and boot your drive

Ive installed windows twice with this same usb, I'm pretty confident nothing is wrong with it. 

3 hours ago, Skinless said:

Ive installed windows twice with this same usb, I'm pretty confident nothing is wrong with it. 

hmm then im not positive. You could reach out to MSI support or hopefully someone else here can chime in.

Sorry I wasnt more of a help 😕