Steam downloads at incredibly slow speeds

Odahh

I've been having this issue for a little over a month now, and I've tried just about everything I can think off. I have a download speed of about 400 - 450mbps, but Steam only goes up to 3mb/s, usually a bit lower. The problem is exclusive to Steam as Battlenet and Epic Games download at full speed, and the other computers connected to my router can download on Steam at full speed.

I've tried;
Restarting my pc.
Clearing my Steam Download Cache.
Reinstalling Steam.
Reinstalling Steam manually as per their guide on it (https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/3C73-90F9-F600-0266)
Restarting my router.
Replaced my ethernet cable.
Downloaded on other computers connected to the router.
Updated Windows and drivers.
Temporarily turned off my firewall.
Temporarily turned off my anti-virus.
Changing the steam download servers.

I've only been able to temporarily solve the issue with a reinstallation of steam, but it only lasts for 10 - 15minutes, even if I don't launch any games. I haven't done any hardware changes nor do I think it's a hardware issue given that it's exclusive to Steam.... I don't know anymore.

Download speed directly after the reinstall.png

Download speed after 15 mins.png

Speedtest.net download speed.png

I'm hoping that the download limit isn't set in Steam settings 🙂

Most Steam issues I've had have been resolved by deleting my "config.cfg" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata"

I'm never sure which is the correct config file so I just delete them all. It never caused me issues but if you're worried I'm sure there is more info out there on the web.

Other than deleting the config file (and double checking download settings), I got no other ideas for you 😞 

I wish it was as simple as having set a download limit. It's uncapped atm. I haven't tried deleting the userdata however and while it's not as fast as it should be, it's a lot faster now. Gonna have to hope that this lasts. Thanks!!

After deleting userdata.png

1 hour ago, Odahh said:

I wish it was as simple as having set a download limit. It's uncapped atm. I haven't tried deleting the userdata however and while it's not as fast as it should be, it's a lot faster now. Gonna have to hope that this lasts. Thanks!!

After deleting userdata.png

one thing to understand about the speed test is that it is measuring your entire bandwidth from your isp to your house. if steam used all of that, there would be no internet for the rest of your house lol. 

also are you downloading to a hard drive? hard drives are much slower and clearing the cache will only temporarily work. 

when downloading a game, id watch your computers usage. steam downloads really like single core performance, and have been shown to work better when on faster single core cpus.

23 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

one thing to understand about the speed test is that it is measuring your entire bandwidth from your isp to your house. if steam used all of that, there would be no internet for the rest of your house lol. 

also are you downloading to a hard drive? hard drives are much slower and clearing the cache will only temporarily work. 

when downloading a game, id watch your computers usage. steam downloads really like single core performance, and have been shown to work better when on faster single core cpus.

I have an SSD and a HDD. Doesn't matter which one I download the game to as both go at that 2.5mb/s. And on the topic of that, deleting the userdata only worked temporarily, the speed is back down to 2.5mb/s - 5mb/s. I also understand that Steam won't use all of my bandwidth, but there's no reason for it to be using less than 10% of if it when it hasn't done so before.

Looking at task manager whilst downloading to my SSD, these are the results I get. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core CPU, 3600MHz DDR4 RAM, RTX 2060 GPU and the SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB.

Task manager.png

6 minutes ago, Odahh said:

I have an SSD and a HDD. Doesn't matter which one I download the game to as both go at that 2.5mb/s. And on the topic of that, deleting the userdata only worked temporarily, the speed is back down to 2.5mb/s - 5mb/s. I also understand that Steam won't use all of my bandwidth, but there's no reason for it to be using less than 10% of if it when it hasn't done so before.

Looking at task manager whilst downloading to my SSD, these are the results I get. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core CPU, 3600MHz DDR4 RAM, RTX 2060 GPU and the SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB.

Task manager.png

Interesting. the only thing i can think of at the moment is checking what server you are downloading from in steam.

sometimes it tries to make me download through a server that's across the country from me when there's a server in the city not 40 min from me

one thing i did to speed my downloads up is have games use both my ssd and hdd through symlinking folders. Its hard to explain, but i will link the video i used. While he is on win 11, it works on win 10 cause thats what im on.

17 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

Interesting. the only thing i can think of at the moment is checking what server you are downloading from in steam.

sometimes it tries to make me download through a server that's across the country from me when there's a server in the city not 40 min from me

one thing i did to speed my downloads up is have games use both my ssd and hdd through symlinking folders. Its hard to explain, but i will link the video i used. While he is on win 11, it works on win 10 cause thats what im on.

Steams download server is set to one that is in the same country as me, about 2 - 3 hours away from here, which is the closest I can get. I did the symlinking thing, which sadly hasn't improved anything.

At this point, I'm about to give up. The only "fix" I have is reinstalling steam which works for 10 minutes or so, but I don't really want to continuously reinstall steam every day whenever I have updates or want to download a game, given that it resets my settings for some games.