DaVinci Resolve eats up all available memory, then crashes.

Go to solution Solved by drumn_bass,

A quick update in case someone with a similar issue comes across this topic.

With some help from AMD forums, I now know (tested and confirmed) that the latest beta of Davinci Resolve, version 18.5, works fine with all AMD drivers. An AMD driver 23.4.2 broke something, but apparently an update to Resolve fixes it. So it is a workaround, but there is hope that either one of those companies, or both, can figure out what's going on and get it fixed for good.

Conclusion. Two, not ideal, but working solutions are:

1. Downgrade AMD GPU driver to 23.4.1, or...

2. Download a Beta version of Davinci Resolve (18.5) which works with all AMD drivers at this time, including the latest as of today, 23.4.3.

Hi guys, 

I've been searching around the web for a while, and can't find an answer. I've been using Resolve for a couple of years, and I like it, but I just upgraded my GPU from RTX 3070 to Radeon RX 6950 XT 16GB, a week ago, and trying to work on a new project, I experience a crazy memory leak issue. I also reinstalled Windows 11 with a new GPU, and it's updated to the latest AMD drivers from just a couple of days ago.

I insert one 4K video file, and without any edits, start the playback. I then watch my GPU memory filling up in about 20 seconds (15.8GB fills up at around 500MB/s rate), then it spills over to my system RAM (I have 64GB DDR4 32MHz, with up to 47.5 available to Resolve by default), filling it up at the same rate of around 500MB/s until it reached that 47.5 or so, then video freezes, and a few moments later Resolve crashes. No error messages appear. Just a simple crash to desktop, then the RAM and VRAM instantly dump all of its data and the PC is back to normal,

I'm checking the settings and GPU is enabled. Before this GPU update, it worked flawlessly with the RTX 3070. I edited large projects in 4K and it was always smooth. I know Nvidia is usually recommended for video editing tasks, but the 6950 XT should have no issues handling it.

That can be causing this? 

I'm going to test Adobe Premiere, to see if it's just Resolve. I don't have any issues with the GPU, 6950 XT, in games or any other applications. And I already tried an older version of Resolve with the same outcome.

Specs:

64GB DDR4 3200MHz

RX 6950 XT

sn850x NVMe SSD

Edit. Tested with Premiere Pro. No issue. 4K playback with default settings is buttery smooth, with only 1.4-1.8 GB of VRAM usage and about 5-6 GB of RAM. Of course, it's easier to switch to another editing software vs going back to an Nvidia GPU (for me, as my needs are fairly basic, and I have access to CC through my employer), but it's a bummer. I really like DaVinci's interface and controls, and a ton of my completed projects are already in Resolve project files.

@drumn_bass I'm no expert on video editing, but the other day I was watching a Linux youtubers video with him talking about Nvidia, and he actually did mention Davinci Resolve, saying that DR runs significantly better on Nvidia hardware, and that it has issues with AMD.

I'm not sure if that was only for Linux users, or if it'd also apply to Windows users as well, but your only solution might just be to look for a different editing software.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

23 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

@drumn_bass I'm no expert on video editing, but the other day I was watching a Linux youtubers video with him talking about Nvidia, and he actually did mention Davinci Resolve, saying that DR runs significantly better on Nvidia hardware, and that it has issues with AMD.

I'm not sure if that was only for Linux users, or if it'd also apply to Windows users as well, but your only solution might just be to look for a different editing software.

Thanks, I think I saw the same video, well of course, we're on the LTT Forums:) Anyway, yeah, I think it's common knowledge that Nvidia works a bit better with Resolve,  but both should still do alright, especially during the actual editing workflow. The issue I'm experiencing makes Resolve completely unusable. It could be something with the AMD driver. They're notorious for having all kinds of random issues, apparently, but for everything else, including Premiere Pro, the GPU works perfectly fine.

I got that Premiere installed now, for the time being, but I'm hoping someone might be familiar with this thing, I really enjoy using Resolve more. It may just be a setting in Adrenalin, for all I know. This is my first AMD GPU after almost 20 years of using Nvidia (the last time I had a Radeon card was when Half Life 2 first came out, and they were still ATI, it didn't play well with that game and I switched to Nvidia. I don't recall the actual models, but I vividly remember rage buying a new GPU just to be able to play HL2, lol).

10 minutes ago, drumn_bass said:

Thanks, I think I saw the same video, well of course, we're on the LTT Forums:) Anyway, yeah, I think it's common knowledge that Nvidia works a bit better with Resolve,  but both should still do alright, especially during the actual editing workflow. The issue I'm experiencing makes Resolve completely unusable. It could be something with the AMD driver. They're notorious for having all kinds of random issues, apparently, but for everything else, including Premiere Pro, the GPU works perfectly fine.

I got that Premiere installed now, for the time being, but I'm hoping someone might be familiar with this thing, I really enjoy using Resolve more. It may just be a setting in Adrenalin, for all I know. This is my first AMD GPU after almost 20 years of using Nvidia (the last time I had a Radeon card was when Half Life 2 first came out, and they were still ATI, it didn't play well with that game and I switched to Nvidia. I don't recall the actual models, but I vividly remember rage buying a new GPU just to be able to play HL2, lol).

Searching around online would probably yield better results. If DR has a forum or a reddit page, you'd probably get better advice.

Did you look on google for any bugs like this? I'm guessing its either related to a bug in  DaVinci Resolve or a driver issue

Since it only occurred when you switched to the 6950, I'd say it's probably a bug with the program involving AMD cards, or an issue with the driver itself.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

29 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Did you look on google for any bugs like this? I'm guessing its either related to a bug in  DaVinci Resolve or a driver issue

Yeah I've been looking for a while, but can't find anything matching the specific issue I'm having. I will post on Blackmagic Design's forums too.

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Since it only occurred when you switched to the 6950, I'd say it's probably a bug with the program involving AMD cards, or an issue with the driver itself.

It's a reasonable assumption, it just feels like it would have affected more users, but I don't see any reports like this online.

Reupdate amd drivers?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

12 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Reupdate amd drivers?

@sub68

Do you mean remove the driver and reinstall?

@sub68

Never mind man.

I just went into my Device Manager - Display Adapters - Properties for the AMD GPU - Driver - Roll Back. It did its thing, and I'm back one version of a driver, back to 23.4.1 from 23.4.2 that I just got a couple of days ago. And IT ******* WORKS! Resolve now works normally. So, I thank you for giving me the excellent idea/hint! I guess now I can try updating again and see if the issue comes back, then I can just stay on the previous version for a bit. Or just keep it here since it's already fine, and try an update when the next driver version comes out.

I knew I could count on this community. An AMD driver. After all, they're kind of famous for it.

22 minutes ago, drumn_bass said:

I'm back one version of a driver, back to 23.4.1 from 23.4.2 that I just got a couple of days ago.

Yeah, I usually say don't upgrade drivers or things when your PC running your software fine I usually say this when its PC's main goal.

25 minutes ago, drumn_bass said:

An AMD driver. After all, they're kind of famous for it.

Lol, I am kinda used to hearing AMD screwing up alot

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Yeah, I usually say don't upgrade drivers or things when your PC running your software fine I usually say this when its PC's main goal.

Lol, I am kinda used to hearing AMD screwing up alot

Last year I bought a Sapphire Radeon 6900 xt, with that being the first ever AMD graphics card I ever bought. I bought it when I got very involved in using Linux, with me switching over to that platform from Windows 10. Not gonna lie, I don't see the appeal of AMD GPUs on Linux (it being praised by linux users for being open source). I've had significantly better performance on Linux using Nvidia hardware.

But with that AMD card, which I bought brand new from Micro Center for around $1500, it legit only lasted me somewhere between 2 and 4 months (don't remember exactly how long), before it shit the bed and took my motherboard with it. I know around that exact same time Jayztwocents posted a video about his 6900 xt randomly just dying, with his issues being almost the exact same as mine, except mine cost me a motherboard somehow. I even tried switching bios (mine having two bios' that I can switch between), and while he was able to get his to work after doing that, mine did not.

I RMA'd it with Sapphire, but when they sent it back it still wasn't fixed. I was able to get a display output, which was an improvement, but there was heavy artifacting, no matter which OS I tested it with (Was using PopOS at that time, but even on W10 the problem persisted). I RMA'd it a second time, with me just buying a 3080 ti to use in my main pc. Eventually I stuck the 6900 xt in my living room HTPC to see if it worked (and so I could upgrade that pc from a 2080 Super), and fortunately it's working as intended now. Not sure if Sapphire just replaced the whole thing, or if they did manage to repair it.

With some help from AMD forums, I now know (tested and confirmed) that the latest beta of Davinci Resolve, version 18.5, works fine with all AMD drivers. An AMD driver 23.4.2 broke something, but apparently an update to Resolve fixes it. So it is a workaround, but there is hope that either one of those companies, or both, can figure out what's going on and get it fixed for good.

2. Download a Beta version of Davinci Resolve (18.5) which works with all AMD drivers at this time, including the latest as of today, 23.4.3.

Thank you so so much for this! Was trying to switch from Premiere to Davinci for testing and had the Same Error picture: Vram filling up, then RAM and Davinci would Crash. Will try the Beta version.

I am Happy to report, that upgrading from 18.1 official to the 18.5 Beta indeed fixed the Problem. Now 20 Gig of VRAM are Plenty xD Sipping around 6gb while editing GoPro 11 Footage.

System R9 3900x, 32gb Ram and a 7900XT Founders.

This Forum just rules.

@Ishimuro

Awesome! Happy I could help.

How do you like that 7900 XT BTW? I returned the 6950 XT today and ordered a 7900 XT (XFX Merc 310 Black). Should be here on Wednesday. For now, on Intel Graphics... it gets the job done for general use, I guess.

With some reward points at Best Buy (that I got from buying 6590 XT), and a price match with Amazon, the 7900 XT from XFX ended up costing me $738, from $649 that I paid for the 6950 XT originally. For $88 more, swapping to a 7900 XT felt like a no-brainer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 7:54 PM, drumn_bass said:

I was sitting here for like 5 days with Davinci just crashing every few minutes, with no problems quite like this before. Trying to retrace my steps, and after those gut wrenching days I finally found the key information I needed. I love you.

• 2 months later...

Hey, another update to this: DaVinci 18.5 release version introduces memory leaks again. AMD System, newest drivers. Let's see when this gets fixed.