No cpu fan control on Asus a320m-k

Go to solution Solved by Cacked Lion,

ok so i have now found a solution by increasing the chasis fan curve a little bit and buying a pwm hub so now the chassis fan is plugged into my pwm hub that goes to all the fans at the same time and by going into the bios and ignoring the cpu fan rpm i dont get a cpu fan error, So i think i solved it and my cpu is quiet and cool at a steady 30 degrees even under load

For the last couple of months I have been having issues with my cpu fan I have changed the cooler up to 5 times and each time it runs at full speed, today I switched the cpu and chassis fans headers around and i discovered that the chassis fans began to run at 100% with absolutely no control just like my cpu fan did everytime. This means something is wrong with my cpu header but I don't know what, what could be the issue and is there a way to fix it or alternative device to control the fans?

Thanks!

What fan are you plugging into the cpu_fan header? 

Are you using default motherboard settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fan are you plugging into the cpu_fan header? 

Are you using default motherboard settings?

I am plugging the and wraith prism into the cpu_fan header with default bios settings

Have you checked the BIOS fan curve for that header? It sounds like it might be set to max speed. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

11 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Have you checked the BIOS fan curve for that header? It sounds like it might be set to max speed. 

The fan curve is set to the default but when I test my fans using the fan tuning feature in ai suite 3 then it shows that my cpu fans range is n/a and in the graph i see that it basically starts at 100%. I have switched the cpu fan and chassis fans around but then I don't have control over my chassis fans because they run at 100%

So basically any fan that's plugged into my cpu fan header will run at 100% with no control.

Are there any seperate fan controllers i can use?

Have you tried software controls for the fan?

There's a great piece of software here on the forums called FanControl

47 minutes ago, Neggy-Z said:

Have you tried software controls for the fan?

There's a great piece of software here on the forums called FanControl

i tried it but it cant control any fans exept my gpu fans

image_2023-04-24_105918026.png

We need to know your setup details to effectively help. Please list all components.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

We need to know your setup details to effectively help. Please list all components.

cpu: and Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Motherboard: Asus a320m-k 

Ram: 2x 8gb Corsair sticks

Cpu cooler: amd wraith prism

Storage: 1x 2tb hdd 1x 256gb ssd

1 hour ago, Cacked Lion said:

cpu: and Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Motherboard: Asus a320m-k 

Ram: 2x 8gb Corsair sticks

Cpu cooler: amd wraith prism

Storage: 1x 2tb hdd 1x 256gb ssd

When you enter BIOS,  you should see "Qfan control" under the fan curve.  Do you? If so, click it and select the CPU header. 

Does reverting to default bios settings help?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Does reverting to default bios settings help?

No but I have done some testing and somehow my motherboard detects when the cpu fan is connected because otherwise it will give a cpu fan error on boot but it isnt capable of controlling it because the fans default to 100% even though it doesn't do this on the chassis fan header

1 hour ago, Cacked Lion said:

No but I have done some testing and somehow my motherboard detects when the cpu fan is connected because otherwise it will give a cpu fan error on boot but it isnt capable of controlling it because the fans default to 100% even though it doesn't do this on the chassis fan header

It sounds like the header is damaged. I'm not sure if resetting CMOS or BIOS would help. Perhaps someone else knows. I gather the mobo is no longer under warranty...?

You could buy a fan controller. If you look into controllers that aren't from the PC world, you'll probably save some money. 

ok so i have now found a solution by increasing the chasis fan curve a little bit and buying a pwm hub so now the chassis fan is plugged into my pwm hub that goes to all the fans at the same time and by going into the bios and ignoring the cpu fan rpm i dont get a cpu fan error, So i think i solved it and my cpu is quiet and cool at a steady 30 degrees even under load

2 hours ago, Cacked Lion said:

So I guess you came to the conclusion I did, that the header is faulty. I'm glad it's resolved.