Which is best? The Rtx 4090 or the A6000 Ada?

Ryty

I have been looking at graphics cards for a while trying to figure out the VERY BEST graphics card, and I think these are the 2 big contenders and I can’t figure out which is best.

Both have very different use cases. What's the use case you need it for?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

30 minutes ago, Ryty said:

I have been looking at graphics cards for a while trying to figure out the VERY BEST graphics card, and I think these are the 2 big contenders and I can’t figure out which is best.

A6000 uses 48GB of DDR6 and drivers designed for accuracy but has a far lower power budget. Its really a purpose driven card for productivity applications that require precision. If the applications in question needs that, then you basically have to get one.

The RTX 4090 however has 24 GB GDDR6x and ECC support, so if that meets whatever requirements you may have application wise, its probably the better solution. If someone needs productivity, the studio drivers and ECC are there.

Haven't ever toggled it, nor plan to, including studio drivers since this cards for gaming.

image.thumb.png.87ec30be51710f11f6bdba5d0db4b5c2.png

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Best graphics card huh? Well In my opinion the R9 290X or the 3DFX Voodoo 6000. But maybe not for what your needs are.

35 minutes ago, Ryty said:

To play games? 4090

ME3BdvPpUF3iQ98TaD6Ad.png

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

To play games? 4090

ME3BdvPpUF3iQ98TaD6Ad.png

As someone owning a 2080Ti, this chart makes me cry.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Your say that as if that is a bad card. 

That is also at 4k on that graph which most people aren't using either. 

Also just realized that the 2080 ti is coming up on 5 years old now. 

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

Your say that as if that is a bad card. 

That is also at 4k on that graph which most people aren't using either. 

hah 4090 go brrrr

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

hah 4090 go brrrr

Yup, great space heater in the winter too. 

Just now, m9x3mos said:

image.png.07c40ae7cfb2dc8da7c17a5492242cb6.png

WE NEED MORE POWER

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

image.png.07c40ae7cfb2dc8da7c17a5492242cb6.png

WE NEED MORE POWER

If nvidia keeps that trend up, you will need Zeus. 

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

If nvidia keeps that trend up, you will need Zeus. 

In reality, the RTX 4090 is actually extremely efficient, I just choose to reject that and run it at +250W for marginal gains. I like seeing the core clock over 3GHz.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

38 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Might want to recheck your facts. 4090 is incredibly efficient. 4K in many games I see 275-325W. 

7900xtx in the same situation is pulling a laughable amount of power. 

Not to mention the tired joke about space heaters…. My old 3090 was consistently sitting at 400W and in the winter didn’t make a dent in the room. Those $45 actual space heaters you can buy are ~1500W. 

1 hour ago, Ryty said:

The RTX 6000 Ada is intended for professional users who need certified drivers and a ton of VRAM. The price of $6800 reflects that. It makes zero sense for regular consumers. Get the RTX 4090, which can use normal "game ready" drivers that also come with game optimizations.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Might want to recheck your facts. 4090 is incredibly efficient. 4K in many games I see 275-325W. 

7900xtx in the same situation is pulling a laughable amount of power. 

Not to mention the tired joke about space heaters…. My old 3090 was consistently sitting at 400W and in the winter didn’t make a dent in the room. Those $45 actual space heaters you can buy are ~1500W. 

The fact is three 4090 pulls over 400 watts while gaming under full load. Not to mention the previous comment where it was pulling over 550 watts.  The 7900xtx pulls 350 watts tbp. 

That output won't replace a heater but sure does make a dent in the space unless you live in Alaska. 

Here in Pennsylvania, the heat doesn't come on during days while I'm gaming all day while it is 5 degrees outside. 

7 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

The fact is three 4090 pulls over 400 watts while gaming under full load.

I can assure this is not the case most of the time. 

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

I feel you man, but for the opposite reason, I just made this jump:

IMG_20230422_074345.thumb.png.a0cb3ab4a8cde5336cf96eecdeffb3cb.png

(RX 5700-XT to RX 7900-XTX)

I honestly felt like my old card was still okay, it played on my 3440x1440p monitor at medium settings with pretty good frame rates (80-90 avg) but boy oh boy I did not realize just how far I was behind.

Now I literally CANNOT turn the settings high enough to stay under my 3440x1440p monitors max refresh rate (100 Hz). Even completely maxed out at Ultra settings with ultra details and no FSR or any sort of artificial booster Im well over 100FPS, typically around 130-140 in most cases. Its kind of insane...

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I can assure this is not the case most of the time. 

If you play less demanding games sure. That would apply to any card though. 

13 hours ago, Ryty said:

This is like trying to compare two different cars without saying what sort of race it's going to be. 

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

I feel you man, but for the opposite reason, I just made this jump:

IMG_20230422_074345.thumb.png.a0cb3ab4a8cde5336cf96eecdeffb3cb.png

(RX 5700-XT to RX 7900-XTX)

I honestly felt like my old card was still okay, it played on my 3440x1440p monitor at medium settings with pretty good frame rates (80-90 avg) but boy oh boy I did not realize just how far I was behind.

Now I literally CANNOT turn the settings high enough to stay under my 3440x1440p monitors max refresh rate (100 Hz). Even completely maxed out at Ultra settings with ultra details and no FSR or any sort of artificial booster Im well over 100FPS, typically around 130-140 in most cases. Its kind of insane...

I agree. If you have a high resolution monitor it makes sense.  For 2k and lower, the 2080 ti is still a good card though.

3 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

If you play less demanding games sure. That would apply to any card though. 

Are you a 4090 owner? I am, I play mostly AAA games on a 4K display and this card pulls less power than my 3090 did the vast majority of the time. If you're a doom and gloom, nvidia is the devil kinda person though I guess I could see why you'd be in denial. 

14 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Are you a 4090 owner? I am, I play mostly AAA games on a 4K display and this card pulls less power than my 3090 did the vast majority of the time. If you're a doom and gloom, nvidia is the devil kinda person though I guess I could see why you'd be in denial. 

Firstly, I'm not doom and gloom. If it takes more power it just takes more power. I am not an nvidia hater and I have their cards and amd as well. Depends on the use case and the cost to performance I can get for it. 

I do also own a 4090 (Asus card) for about a month now. While playing metro exodus, hogwarts legacy, or horizon at 4k on my big screen the power consumption over the session is at about 410w (measured with hwinfo).

When running the same games and I cap it at 60 or move to my 144hz gsycn 2k monitor is the only time with those games I get numbers similar to what you are saying. 

@m9x3mos Im not sure why you guys are even arguing about it. Its a 4090, an absolute MONSTER that is ACTUALLY capable of 8K gaming regardless of the fact that 8K gaming is stupid in general. Of course the card is power hungry, the damn thing has over 16,000 Cuda Cores.

You remember when Hypercars weren't a thing and then we broke the 200 MPH barrier? Now, remember shortly afterwards when the Mclaren F1 came about and just completely decimated every super car ever made so badly that they HAD to create an entirely new class for this super-exotic breed of car that is over-engineered to the point of being on par with the Space Shuttle?

Well, thats what the RTX 4090 is. Its the Computing world's McLaren F1, its an entirely new class held far above anything else. It isn't just a Flagship-Tier - the 4080 and 7900-XTX are flagships, no no no, the RTX 4090 is more of a God-Tier, or Halo-Tier, whatever you want to call it.

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I don't think its that, he had a point, but also NVidia is definitely evil. That much has been proven since RTX 3000 launched. its just some people don't have a choice especially if they need Cuda features and performance.

Also ya under normal gaming load the 4090 usually pulls about what, I think it was 400-425-ish watts if I remember correctly? Its the same with my 7900-XTX, normal gaming sees load around 300-325 watts, however I have the Red Devil so if I unlock things and let it run wild on synthetic testing (3D Mark for example), I can get it to hit 430 Watts.

If you have a 1000-watt or more PSU, try it on the RTX 4090. The card WILL pull 600 watts, sometimes a bit over 600, if you allow it to do so. That much has been proven already, so it isn't really up for debate.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

50 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

@m9x3mos Im not sure why you guys are even arguing about it. Its a 4090, an absolute MONSTER that is ACTUALLY capable of 8K gaming regardless of the fact that 8K gaming is stupid in general. Of course the card is power hungry, the damn thing has over 16,000 Cuda Cores.

You remember when Hypercars weren't a thing and then we broke the 200 MPH barrier? Now, remember shortly afterwards when the Mclaren F1 came about and just completely decimated every super car ever made so badly that they HAD to create an entirely new class for this super-exotic breed of car that is over-engineered to the point of being on par with the Space Shuttle?

Well, thats what the RTX 4090 is. Its the Computing world's McLaren F1, its an entirely new class held far above anything else. It isn't just a Flagship-Tier - the 4080 and 7900-XTX are flagships, no no no, the RTX 4090 is more of a God-Tier, or Halo-Tier, whatever you want to call it.

I don't think its that, he had a point, but also NVidia is definitely evil. That much has been proven since RTX 3000 launched. its just some people don't have a choice especially if they need Cuda features and performance.

Also ya under normal gaming load the 4090 usually pulls about what, I think it was 400-425-ish watts if I remember correctly? Its the same with my 7900-XTX, normal gaming sees load around 300-325 watts, however I have the Red Devil so if I unlock things and let it run wild on synthetic testing (3D Mark for example), I can get it to hit 430 Watts.

If you have a 1000-watt or more PSU, try it on the RTX 4090. The card WILL pull 600 watts, sometimes a bit over 600, if you allow it to do so. That much has been proven already, so it isn't really up for debate.

Sir this is a beep boop forum, not a vroom vroom forum. Cars are for driving to microcenter, exclusively.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

51 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

@m9x3mos Im not sure why you guys are even arguing about it. Its a 4090, an absolute MONSTER that is ACTUALLY capable of 8K gaming regardless of the fact that 8K gaming is stupid in general. Of course the card is power hungry, the damn thing has over 16,000 Cuda Cores

That was all I was trying to say. Exactly that. 

52 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I wouldn't say they are evil. They are a greedy company doing what greedy companies do. They saw that people would pay stupid amounts of money for cards during the shortage so they are charging more since people are willing to pay it.