home office project (1 year update)

dmccaulley

Hi all.

I posted here about a year ago when I started this project. When my dad passed in 2015 I helped my mom renovate parts their house to just make it feel different. Last April I lost my mom to covid and I suddenly found myself living back in my childhood home not knowing what to do with the house, or myself. I decided to do more renovations so the house felt a little different and easier to be in. One project was building myself an office. There was a small guest room that was never really used for anything other than a storage room for what felt like the entire extended family. It was usually impossible to even walk in there let alone use the room. I cleaned the room out and ripped out the lovely 1980s carpet. Put in some new floors and painted. I didnt think to take a picture of the room before I started cleaning it out, but here is a picture near the end of the cleanup along with some pictures of the actual renovations.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7546c4265a85bc44f217616afba5cc1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e93ad30955e1cf20d842dcdf47e9f815.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53c4fc09bb300f9873d079d9e19ad741.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9bc6d5d247d6198ffcb2faf1dfde3217.jpeg

It was pretty surreal to see this room turn into an actual room. I couldnt stop thinking what my parents would have thought if they could have seen it, honestly I still think about that every time im in the room.

I spent this past year never being satisfied with the actual office setup. I bought a new desk for the room, but ended up not liking it so I built my own. I did the cliché ikea drawers, but I got a solid wood countertop and stained and sealed it by hand. I also took some black shelving and built a modesty panel under the desk which is something I have never seen anyone do on these kinds of desks. I just really like having the panel for cable management. I wanted to have the PC on display but I dont like having it up on the desk so I decided to place it kind of far from the desk but there was no cabinet I could find with a layout I wanted so I picked up something and ignored the instructions to build it completely differently so it would fit my needs. Really happy with how it turned out. I turned the closet into a little sitting area with a pull out bed for guests.

I wanted an extremely clean look so I went with all wireless peripherals, but because I still love my old headphones I got a little creative so I could wire them up through the desk and stash them away with the wireless ones.

image.thumb.jpeg.34639b7e284e9075e1d3f1cde04caa89.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3048ea38989c2ef83192b468236f4fe1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.860140785fe2217af385b878cf6ca9d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea1553b14b804e0bb1f59fc09fe0757e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.388142ff5429c8c337430856da1c532c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.652c3d545590d71b9df7327f8a316850.jpeg

Still playing around with the lighting but I think I finally have it at a place where im happy with it. Its been a therapeutic process working on this project and because I posted here when I started it I felt like it was only fitting I should post here now that its basically "finished". Thanks for letting me share.

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair H150i cooler
EVGA GeForce 3080ti FTW3
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 32gb
Asus X570-E
Corsair HX 1000i PSU
Fractal Meshify 2 case

Peripherals:
Keychron K10 (bluetooth)
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Audio Technica AD700x 
Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2 (bluetooth)
Audioengine A2+ speakers
Modmic bluetooth mic
Elgato stream deck (I dont stream, use it for RGB control and sound boards in games)
Samsung Odyssey G9
Some Chinese portable monitor I found on amazon for my secondary display (mostly for discord when gaming)

Last but not least, the new LTT stealth pad. First quality pad I was able to find that was actually the dimensions I wanted. Thanks Linus. 

Love it! Nice Die Hard poster by the way

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

Great work! Those dewalt nailers are a dream for installing baseboards and trim! pro tip on the flooring... start at your door next time 🙂

Color matched keycaps for the keyboard and its an r/battlestation top post. Good stuff!

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Looks great, the stained desktop always looks amazing!