7900XTX or 4070 Ti

Simorg

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of building a new PC, and I'm finding it difficult to decide on a GPU. At the moment, I'm considering either the 7900XTX or the 4070 Ti, but I'm not sure which one to choose. I appreciate that the 7900XTX offers more VRAM and higher performance; however, I've heard about recent issues with AMD drivers, and I'd rather not deal with that.

On the other hand, the 4070 Ti is a solid GPU with less VRAM, but I've never encountered or heard of any problems with Nvidia drivers. Here are some factors to consider:

- I don't use Ray Tracing

- The price difference between the two is negligible for me

- My monitor has a 1080p resolution and 240 Hz refresh rate

1 minute ago, Simorg said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of building a new PC, and I'm finding it difficult to decide on a GPU. At the moment, I'm considering either the 7900XTX or the 4070 Ti, but I'm not sure which one to choose. I appreciate that the 7900XTX offers more VRAM and higher performance; however, I've heard about recent issues with AMD drivers, and I'd rather not deal with that.

On the other hand, the 4070 Ti is a solid GPU with less VRAM, but I've never encountered or heard of any problems with Nvidia drivers. Here are some factors to consider:

7900 xtx, much better performance either way. Also amd have recently fixed their drivers because the performance of the 7900 xt has recently gotten a bit better so i would go for the amd card

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

4 minutes ago, Simorg said:

Hello Everyone,

4070ti is a POS upsold mid tier GPU and doesn't really have 12GB of VRAM, but a doubled up 192 bit bus, just like the RTX 3060 12GB.

7900XTX in my opinion is a no brainer, especially if you're not deep into RT. 12GB isn't enough VRAM for anyone playing >1440p. Even with RT, it comes close to a no compromise scenario like the RTX 4080, but still gapped by the RTX 4090. RTX 4090 still remains the only SKU of 4000 series that isn't upsold silicon binning.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

The 7900 XTX hands down, not even a contest in this case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7900XT for sure. at this point people need to stop supoorting nvidia. amd cards do just as well if not better in non rt games and even so, who uses rt daily?

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

The 7900xtx as others have said.

240fps is a engine limit of the game more so than a performance limt of the gpu in most games. Keep that in mind.

At 1080p both are epic tier cards.

As for performance wise the 7900xtx is overall the faster card for non rt gaming.

It also has 20gb of vram which is (hate the word put its true here) a ton more futureproof as 8gb at 1080p is quite easy to max out in new games and 12gb is max outable at 4k with relative ease.

im very happy with my 7900XTX Nitro. Had me an R9 390X before it on a 4K monitor. Thing aged like fine wine. And a 4070Ti? Are you planning on upgrading in Q4 this year or Q1 next year? Becuse thats your 90% guaranteed future with that one.

Plus, you have to understand that ray tracing as is still relies heavy on AI stuff to function properly. In every test, the raw rasterization power to drive RT is not there even for Nvidia. So DLSS and all sorts of "upscaling" gimmicks are strongly suggested to get above 60 FPS performance.

Which gives 7900XT and XTX much more appeal. They will last you much longer, get better with age and WILL allow you to run AAA titles well into the 4, 6 or even 8K OLED and high FSP displays.

Main issue with AMD drivers is the "green screen of death". Which actually poor implementation of MPO and newer video encoders in Win10 and 11. People have disabled MPO and seen 99% of crashes and issues go away.

If you plan on going AMD, the standard practice is to wait until 3-4 driver updates have passed since your current one in use. Then test by upgrading-downgrading to find a stable one. Worked for me with the 390X for 7 years. Last driver I used until 2 months ago was from 2019... worked like a charm still

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

12gb is max outable at 4k with relative ease.

*cough* *cough* Last Of Us* *cough* *cough*

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I misread the title as "7900XT vs RTX 4070 Ti" and was going to recommend AMD for your use case, but wondered why everyone was talking about the XTX and reread the title and OP.

This isn't even a question. 7900XTX all day, everyday, twice on Sunday, do not stop at Go, etc.

Even if you do care about RT, the 7900XTX is often better anyway. And at 1080p, Nvidia's driver overhead really hurts their cards' performance - which is part of why they like to focus on higher resolution gaming. The XTX blows away the 4070Ti in every respect.

AMD driver issues are overblown in most situations. And Nvidia's are often understated. These days, the two companies are about equal in terms of driver stability.

I don't understand this AMD has crap drivers hype. It's quite the opposite, AMD has lower DirectX12 overhead in their drivers than Nvidia does making them scale better than Nvidia to situations where cpu bounds become important. 

Now I will say if this was 2017 the shoe would have been on the other foot, as AMD had much worse driver overhead in DirectX 11 than Nvidia did. To the point that say you had built a budget system with an i3-4130 three years before and were asking if you should upgrade your gpu to a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580, I would have said GTX 1060 6GB was a no brainer because AMD cards performed pretty badly with low end cpus in DirectX 11. Though if you had built a system with say an i5-4590, a budget i5 from 2014, that overhead wouldn't be a problem. It's why AMD released a precursor to DirectX 12 and Vulkan called Mantle that was a low level API to get past their DX11 overhead problems. And while Mantle never really got implemented into anything big other than I think the Battlefield games of that era, I do think their work with it might be why their drivers are better now than Nvidia's on the very low level DirectX 12 API.