Is it ok to have a intel cpu and a AMD GPU or is better to have both the same

Braydoge

I mean, for OCD people its better to have Intel/Nvidia or AMD/AMD

But it shouldnt matter too much

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

2 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

I mean, for OCD people its better to have Intel/Nvidia or AMD/AMD

But it shouldnt matter too much

Like does it effect performance at all?

Doesn't make a difference. People have paired AMD with Intel for a long time, before AMD had good CPUs (again) or Intel even had dGPUs.

You might get a minor bonus for AMD/AMD because of SAM, but realistically Intel also supports rBar

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

17 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Doesn't make a difference. People have paired AMD with Intel for a long time, before AMD had good CPUs (again) or Intel even had dGPUs.

You might get a minor bonus for AMD/AMD because of SAM, but realistically Intel also supports rBar

What is rBar ?

2 minutes ago, Braydoge said:

What is rBar ?

rBar means Resizable Bar. It is a feature currently only on Intels few Graphics cards they have ever made. It basically means the GPU can dynamic adjust what system resources it pulls from to do its job.

I know that sounds like literally a fundamental job of a GPU but Re-BAR is special and affects the performance of Intel GPUs. As a matter of fact, if you can't enabale Re-BAR on an Intel GPU, you might as well sell the card immediately.

You see Intel's current GPU offerings are actually their FIRST generation and they suffer from all sorts of bugs and issues and Re-BAR is so important to Intel GPUs that without it you will loose literally half the cards performance or more in a lot of games and they will become un-playable.

SAM on the other hand is Smart Access Memory by AMD. While you won't loose any performance by not having it, you can get bonus extra performance up to 10% from AMD GPUs by enabling it. What it does is it allows the CPU to access larger portions of your Graphics Card V-RAM at once than is typically possible. Normally a CPU accesses 192 MB chunks at a time (if I remember that exact figure correctly) while SAM enables a AMD CPU to access up to 2GB chunks at a time (I think).

This means frames that have gone through the CPU phase and are ready to be passed onto the GPU can be loaded into the GPUs render queue more quickly and efficiently, resulting in more FPS. Because of how SAM works, a more VRAM demanding application yields more drastic performance gains in general.

SAM is a technology developed for AMD by AMD. Therefore, it is only possible if you own a Modern AMD CPU AND a Modern AMD GPU in the same system.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

I can't give you a technical answer, but I can tell you that I'm running a 12400 with an RX6600 and it performs perfectly

It doesn't make a difference. Mix and match to your heart's content.

The CPU has to match the motherboard socket, but you could run an Arc GPU and an AMD processor if you really wanted to.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

It doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

SAM is a technology developed for AMD by AMD. Therefore, it is only possible if you own a Modern AMD CPU AND a Modern AMD GPU in the same system.

SAM is just what AMD calls ReBAR. It's not something they developed, nor is it exclusive to AMD. 

AMD used to artificially lock the feature to certain combinations of their CPUs, GPUs and motherboards but from what I know they have mostly stopped doing that and it should work regardless of which combination of hardware you use, assuming it is relatively new.

5 hours ago, Braydoge said:

What is rBar ?

rBar or Resizable Bar is a PCIe feature that lets the CPU address all of a GPU's memory as a single block.

AMD were the first to support/use this feature, calling their implementation of it "Smart Access Memory" (SAM).

Without rBar the CPU can only address the memory in 256 MB chunks. In some games rBar can improve performance and some cards (primarily Intel) require it for good performance

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It doesn't matter.

SAM is just what AMD calls ReBAR. It's not something they developed, nor is it exclusive to AMD. 

AMD used to artificially lock the feature to certain combinations of their CPUs, GPUs and motherboards but from what I know they have mostly stopped doing that and it should work regardless of which combination of hardware you use, assuming it is relatively new.

Well AMD were the first to implement it, so ya they did kind of invent it, lol.

And of course they invented their own version of it for their own CPUs and GPUs, its not like a feature can just magically happen without someone actually creating it.

I also never claimed it was exclusive or special, just that its an AMD technology created by AMD for AMD hardware. That much should be obvious, otherwise you would be able to run AMDs SAM specifically on NVidia and Intel Cards, which you cannot, they have their own versions that operate slightly differently but in the greater picture - perform the exact same task.

Im kind of surprised you couldn't just pick up obvious details on your own and felt the need to point that out. Forums are really starting to confuse me.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

8 hours ago, Braydoge said:

My friends keep bugging me about having a intel cpu and a amd gpu and i shouldn't have different kind what are your thoughts ?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JtTRrD

Currently you'd better pair anything else than an Intel GPU to an Intel CPU, or even an AMD one 😄 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 hours ago, Braydoge said:

My friends keep bugging me about having a intel cpu and a amd gpu and i shouldn't have different kind what are your thoughts ?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JtTRrD

Are your friends proposing to pay for what they think you should have?

How would you ever use an Nvidia GPU in their mind? Nvidia don't make CPUs.

How about MB, RAM, PSU, case and fans? Do they all have to be the same brand?

Do they know PCs have standards for the exact reason to be able to mix and match? 

Even if you buy an Apple or other prebuilt, they all use components from varying manufacturers. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

15 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well AMD were the first to implement it, so ya they did kind of invent it, lol.

I don't think they were the first to implement it. It's been a standard since 2008 (april 24 to be precise).

You're probably right if you were to say they were the first consumer GPU maker to market it and enable it, but that's not really the same as inventing it. I am sure it have been used in lots of products before that without us even knowing. 

AMD were part of the group who wrote the original specifications and submitted it to PCI-SIG, but so were HP, and I don't see anyone claiming that HP invented it because of that. 

32 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

And of course they invented their own version of it for their own CPUs and GPUs, its not like a feature can just magically happen without someone actually creating it.

It's not "their own version". It is the same thing as ReBAR. It's just under a different name.

It doesn't have anything to do with pairing an AMD CPU with an AMD GPU. It's a PCIe specification standard and can work between any hardware that follows the standard.

35 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I also never claimed it was exclusive or special, just that its an AMD technology created by AMD for AMD hardware. That much should be obvious, otherwise you would be able to run AMDs SAM specifically on NVidia and Intel Cards, which you cannot, they have their own versions that operate slightly differently but in the greater picture - perform the exact same task.

Except it isn't an AMD technology, it wasn't really created by AMD, and it isn't specific to AMD hardware.

And yes, you can run AMDs SAM with Nvidia and Intel cards. The only difference is the name. They don't operate "slightly differently", they operate exactly the same, because it's a PCIe standard specification.

12 hours ago, Lurking said:

Are your friends proposing to pay for what they think you should have?

How would you ever use an Nvidia GPU in their mind? Nvidia don't make CPUs.

How about MB, RAM, PSU, case and fans? Do they all have to be the same brand?

Do they know PCs have standards for the exact reason to be able to mix and match? 

Even if you buy an Apple or other prebuilt, they all use components from varying manufacturers. 

So I’ll get the exact same performance if I mix a intel cpu and a amd gpu than a amd cpu and a amd gpu ?

Oh and btw can someone tell me a good motherboard to get for my 13600k ? Under 150 plz 

16 minutes ago, Braydoge said:

So I’ll get the exact same performance if I mix a intel cpu and a amd gpu than a amd cpu and a amd gpu ?

Performance in games will depend on CPU and GPU power independent of brand. Of course, each brand has different strengths and weaknesses and multitude of models. GPU just gets processed data from the CPU and doesn't know or care who made that CPU. It just needs to get processed data. RAM and SSD also matter to some degree for the overall experience. 

Some AMD GPUs are better than some Nvidia GPUs in certain applications and vice versa. And some intel CPUs are better than some AMD CPUs in some applications and vice versa. 

If you want to build a specific system for specific games and certain resolutions and fps, people here can advise what a good combination is for those specific situations are. But there is no general advice like "AMD CPU and GPU" will be better than "Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU" or vice versa. Nvidia+AMD or Nvidia+Intel or AMD+AMD all can be great combinations. All depends on the specific models, and applications. 

There is no secret cheat code an AMD GPU executes when it "sees" an AMD CPU. The AMD graphics division likely also is independent and are interested in catering to Intel CPU owners. Intel is very large in CPUs, so it would be stupid to build a GPU that doesn't work well with intel CPUs. AMD-GPU division's competition is Nvidia, not Intel (well, now Intel also makes GPUs, so Intel GPUs are competition). AMD purchased the graphics (ATI) at some point and re-used that technology and built on it. They didn't turn the ATI GPUs into CPUs. 

I suspect the optimization on how to use the GPU/CPU is in the OS and the game itself. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Speaking of Rebar, if you're getting shit performance with low gpu usage in The Last of Us Part 1 on an AMD gpu, turning it off seems to fix it. I was getting terrible gpu usage with my 6700 XT at 1440p high with my i5-12400F and was thinking it was because I was using only 16GB of memory. Someone on reddit's The Last of Us subreddit told me there was a bug with the game on AMD gpus with Rebar enabled and as soon as I turned Rebar off in the BIOS my performance shot up dramatically. Now I can get 1440p60 on high settings with full gpu usage while before I was having drops into the 30s fps with gpu usage 35% to 65% at times. (So apparently 16GB is ok)

Every other game I have tried since getting the gpu, namely Control, Elden Ring, Yakuza Like a Dragon, and Cyberpunk 2077, all work great with Rebar though. 

No reason to not pair and AMD card with an Intel cpu. I did because 12th gen Intel had a little higher single core performance than Ryzen 5000 series and because Nvidia's gpu offerings sucked below 3080 last year thanks to the 8GB of VRAM that has aged like milk in 2023.