Headset mics: What's stopping advancement?

Go to solution Solved by Spuriae,

There are headsets with great microphones out there. Check out tests of the Audio Technica BPHS1, for instance.

For high-end headsets, the main limitation is that vocal clarity and susceptibility to plosives get worse when you position a microphone directly in front of the mouth, so they can only get so good compared to standalone microphones. Moving the mic further away improves quality, but makes the product bulkier and reduces the background noise rejection.

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

Size, good mics are big and headset mics can't be larger than a bean.

High quality microphone capsules can easily fit in a headset microphone. The B&K5128, which is considered state-of-the-art for headphone acoustic measurements, uses 6mm microphone capsules. Professional lav mics can sound great and they're typically 4-6mm. Most standalone condenser microphones use 14mm capsules – big, but not so big that you couldn't put them in a headset if you wanted to.

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Also price, cheaping out and not everyone are good to make. For example Modmic probably the best slap on mic and it's same expected size.

For most consumer headsets this is also a big reason. When most users don't base their purchasing decisions on microphone tests, and the user's poor microphone positioning or the connected device usually plays a bigger role in bad-sounding recordings, there's little incentive to make an excellent headset microphone in the consumer space.

Is there any reason headset mics haven't had a lot of development over the past few years? They're super convenient and seem like they have potential

It might not be the size, pretty sure there are phone mics better than headsets, and those aren't too big if I recall 

It could be price, but I don't know the average price of mic components

Maybe they're difficult to work with?

My current theory is that they're too niche in the world of audio to be considered something to dig into.

What do you guys think?

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

well... I dunno... there are some really expensive "Gaming" Headsets out there that sound terrible, flat, no dynamics etc... 

I'm currently sticking to cheap 10-20 bucks Logitech Headsets... USB or Audio Jacks... those do sound superb from the microphone standpoint... but the listening experience is not as good... So just for chatting or when I stream, discord etc or record audio for stuffz. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Hm, suppose that makes sense

It's because small mics capture less sound waves, right? Or is it smth else?

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

Also price, cheaping out and not everyone are good to make. For example Modmic probably the best slap on mic and it's same expected size.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

There are headsets with great microphones out there. Check out tests of the Audio Technica BPHS1, for instance.

For high-end headsets, the main limitation is that vocal clarity and susceptibility to plosives get worse when you position a microphone directly in front of the mouth, so they can only get so good compared to standalone microphones. Moving the mic further away improves quality, but makes the product bulkier and reduces the background noise rejection.

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

High quality microphone capsules can easily fit in a headset microphone. The B&K5128, which is considered state-of-the-art for headphone acoustic measurements, uses 6mm microphone capsules. Professional lav mics can sound great and they're typically 4-6mm. Most standalone condenser microphones use 14mm capsules – big, but not so big that you couldn't put them in a headset if you wanted to.

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

For most consumer headsets this is also a big reason. When most users don't base their purchasing decisions on microphone tests, and the user's poor microphone positioning or the connected device usually plays a bigger role in bad-sounding recordings, there's little incentive to make an excellent headset microphone in the consumer space.